Landrover 109" Series 3 FFR

You need to use the cranked brackets. The kit is a conversion kit so is intended to fit all different types of belt set up in different landrovers.

I think those brackets are designed to fit over the bulkhead in a Swb and then mount the reel to it behind the bulkhead as you dont have the room behind the seats in swb.

Jon.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah - OK - now confused!!

Spoke to Craddock this morning - as best I can understand them (no fitting instructions come at all...) is the plate with two plain holes goes behind the seat, two bolts go through that and the cranked bracket, reel goes on on the cranked bracket.

Plate with welded nut goes under the floor for the female half on the belt.

Existing lower belt mount has to be used as per your picture captioned "Bottom belt mount in the corner of the seatbox, door pillar." - and of course these are 100% missing on mine :cry:

Seems a complex way of doing things :-( :-(

Well - a frustrating day today!!! >:( >:(>:(

Pumped oil into the steering box and relay - eased things a bit but tings are still stiff, can't really turn the wheels by hand.

Went to do the seat belts - missing the lower belt mounts so had to abort that.

Checked out the passenger water jet - cap had been stuck on after shearing off and waterway was blocked.cleared that and then found the water pipe wasn't even attached - using the screenwash pump was putting water in the vehicle!!!

How on earth do you remove the body of the washer jets?? Don't seem to be easily able to acccess the rear of the unit and, using a 7/16th spannner the housing, just pins around...

So - now I need the two lower seat belt mount brackets and a complete washer jet assembly now to complete the job

Oh - and can I start her using a 12v starter unit or do I need to remove each battery seperately and recharge them

Later S3's had inertia belts as standard.

Got some low quality pic's that i took showing the roll bar i have in Bungle, but it does show some of the plates in the kit.

OK Jon,

I stand corrected, it is now 11 years since working for the Army, and Land Rovers do not feature in my normal workload anymore, so a case of brain fade!

Richard

Neil ...............can you use a 12v starter unit on the Stolly??

C'mon man its a 24v vehicle. :roll: Charge the batteries

Yeah - I was in a rush to get out tonight and as I walked out the door it struck me that was rather a dumb question. Even for me!! :oops: :oops:

So - anyone local got a S3 screenwasher jet and pair of lower seat belt mounts they would like to exchange for some of his munificence G. Browns coin of the realm - fairly urgently - to ensure particiption in the May trip to the plains.....

Yeah - I was in a rush to get out tonight and as I walked out the door it struck me that was rather a dumb question. Even for me!! :oops: :oops:

So - anyone local got a S3 screenwasher jet and pair of lower seat belt mounts they would like to exchange for some of his munificence G. Browns coin of the realm - fairly urgently - to ensure particiption in the May trip to the plains.....

Neil,

you can rob the mounts out of my Landy to get you through the MOT then put them back on.. it's still at the Fort..

Seems i have suffered a case of brain fade too.

You do not need to use the cranked brackets. The kit is a conversion kit so is intended to fit all different types of belt set up in different landrovers.

I think those brackets are designed to fit over the bulkhead in a Swb and then mount the reel to it behind the bulkhead as you dont have the room behind the seats in swb.

Sorry Neil can see how i confused you yesterday. ;-)

Neil,

you can rob the mounts out of my Landy to get you through the MOT then put them back on.. it's still at the Fort..

Thanks Lee- much obliged mate!!

Seems i have suffered a case of brain fade too.

Sorry Neil can see how i confused you yesterday. ;-)

'Twas a bad day yesterday :-( I kid you not - nothing went right all day...

And the icing on the cake was trying do do everything with a pounding cluser migraine. If I'd had any sense I'd have packed up as soon as it started and hit the pit. Alas sense is not one of my strong points!! :oops: :oops:

OK - got the layout right, went to bolt the reel in place - and then found the captive nuts are different sizes. :shake: :shake:

The gold coloured bolts on the reels, buckles and mount points fit the larger nuts on the cranked brackets but not the square plates as per Jons photo's. None of the bolts supplied fit the nuts on the square plates!!!

I think I'm going to have to cut the nuts off with a grinder and do a cut 'n shut job here.......

Never have this sort of issue with an Alvis product!!!! :shake:

Miracle never cease!! :-o

We now have two seat belts 90% fitted after some prety nifty work with screwdrivers. drills, assorted files etc. Did the drivers side first:

width=600 height=800http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/06_April_2007_01.jpg[/img]

As it had the minimum amount of rearranging to do.

width=600 height=800http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/06_April_2007_02.jpg[/img]

All I need to do finish it is the rivets put in (sans rivet gun right now) and fit a lower belt mount point.

Passenger side was a bit more of a palaver - FFR cabling had to be re-routed, one of the seat stops removed and an earthing braid relocated

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/06_April_2007_04.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/06_April_2007_06.jpg[/img]

Also needs the rivets and a lower belt fiting point to completed - but also the seatback stop needs to be refitted so will need some more rivets for that too. Kit only gives the eight required for the spreader plates.

The comparatively easy job was the buckle assemblies - there were some blanking plugs under a layer of grease. Removing one of them each side revealed a tapped hole that the bolts fitted perfectly!

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/06_April_2007_03.jpg[/img]

Out of that kit of bits I've used two square plates, after having to cut the too-small nuts off them and the nuts off the cranked brackets to use with the square plates (hope that makes sense), the two brackets that looked like seatbelt guides and the light weight brackets that seem to be edge protectors and went underneath the the guide brackets.

What this does mean, though is that the normal upper mount points are now just floating about on the belts between the reel and the buckle and are going (I assume) to need to be cut off!!!

Not a bad days work now the brain is functioning normally (or what passes for in my case :-) ) after some heavy paracetemol doses!!!

Leaves the washer jet to replace and the electrics (dim lights - must be an earth issue) to sort out!!!

The washer jet is held with a nut on the back of the washer jet. You need to remove the trim on the inside of the dash to get a spanner on the nut then you can spin off the wash jet.

Thanks Jon!! The older Series 2/2A have a lot going for them in terms of not having to dismantle a chunk of the vehicle everytime you need to get the wash/wipe kit!!!

Yet more progress! :-)

Batteries now recharged and fitted and a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank = startup this morning. Went over the lights and all now seem to OK - drivers rear side is still a bit low in daylight but nothing I do seems to change that. Headlamps are now OK as is the O/S front side. Just leaves the washer jet and seatbelt mounts but Stuarts given me the number of a chap breaking a couple of Landies down in Raleigh.

One thing I did notice - not an MOT issue but in need of resolutions at some time - neither temp guage is working (water/oil) and it seems neither sender is connected...

Oh - and I still have that odd knock when hot - can be felt through the gear shift; it's minimal at idle, picks up but then goes as RPM increases.

OK - Seat belts are now in - got a feeling I might need to undo one bottom end and take a twist out - but they are both in and working OK!!!

Tomorrow night we'll have the dash top off and do that washer jet - and then we are ready for the dreaded ordeal of the MOT!! :schocked: :schocked:

Neil this knock... this will sound everso daft but make sure someone hasn't cranked the rocker cover bolts right done trying to reuse an old cover gasket, as the rocker bolts can touch :schocked:

I've had this a couple of times over the years, and one occasion, gained a very nice 2a SWB, for buttons :-D :-D

Just an idea, never know...

regards Hardyferret :whistle:

Neil,

Another very common source of a knock on the Land Rover 2 1/4 litre engine was the bolt securing the crank pulley being loose. The pulley clamps the timing sprocket on the crank and if loose, the sprocket "rocks"on its key, making it sound like a worn big end bearing.

Richard

Another one to check!! :-) Many thanks!!

Didn't get a chance tonight to look at the steeering box - spent the whole damned evening getting that washer jet off. Dropped the screen, removed the fascia top -bit NOTHING would grip on that nut!! Ended up drilling out the old jet body so that it could be snapped off in the end.

New washer jet is now fitted - just need to trim off the water pipe and connect it to the one from the pump. Might get a chance tomorrow night - if not it'll be either Sat night, Sun night or Monday night as I really need to get some work done on little Maud ready for June!!! But once it's connected we're ready for the big bad MOT man!!

Lower belt mount (nicely painted green)

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/IMAG0977.jpg[/img]

Upper belt mount

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/IMAG0978.jpg[/img]

New washer jet on N/S.

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/IMAG0980.jpg[/img]

Well - it's 99% finished for the MOT at last!! :-) :-) :-)

Just waiting for Craddocks to deliver the two screws for the I/P and a replacement bonnet claw and for the wife to pay a visit to our local tools/ironmongery shop tomorrow night to get two screws for the fuel pick up on the new tank and a securing bolt for the front towing eye and all is done!!

Front end all together - inc. rings and infill panel

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/Finished_Job_Pre_MOT_009.jpg[/img]

The latest in "must have" Landie accessories......

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/Finished_Job_Pre_MOT_003.jpg[/img]

Got this pioneer kit for £10 - bloke said it was for a series 3 - I'm not so sure, doesn't seem to fit.... Looks more like it would go in the Stalwart....

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/Finished_Job_Pre_MOT_010.jpg[/img]