Jeep gearbox removal

Rick W

The gearbox on the MB needs serious attention. Would it make sense to remove the transfer case first before taking off gearbox? If you read the workshop manual it seems to indicate that the engine needs jacking up before you can take it out? Any advice, hints and tips appreciated.

Take the gearbox/transfer out as one unit, place a block of wood between the engine block/cylinder head and bulkhead to support the back of the engine as you lower the gearbox after removing exhaust , throttle linkage, rad hoses etc which will otherwise be strained as the engine lowers

Edited by Nick Johns

I would agree especially with removing the radiator hoses, in fact its easier to take the radiator out. If you don't take the hoses off you run a big risk of breaking the radiator bottom water pipe from the bottom radiator tank. This is due to lack of flex in the hoses and as the engine twists backward when the box comes out it snaps the radiator pipe.

I know I've done it !!!!

You will need to remove the cross member that holds the gearbox and tranny ... We used a engine hoist to support the gearbox ( pushed it through the door opening , and removed the gearbox cover ) by using some straps/rope ..the gear box and tranny is one heavy lump.

As mentioned ..wood block and yes it takes a little longer but taking out the rad will help with space ..

I had an epic couple of days with this not long ago. First attempt and a lot of trepidation ! That said now I'd be a lot happier doing it second time round. Tips I picked up (missed the block of wood one though, that would of been useful). If you got one a long metal rod through the back of the front leaf springs to support the engine once it is lowered. I happened to have a knackered half shaft that worked a treat. I was lucky to borrow a winch and secure it to the garage roof and used it to take the weight of the box and transfer case, though next time I would have two straps crossed under the box.

it is a lump though, I took off the cross support just because working on my own it was quite bulky. The consensus seems to be two jacks but get a mate to help and the. You have the whole thing on two jacks with no place to go. I ended up lowering it bit by bit onto asheet of wood on the floor so I could give me self a hernia :laugh: And drag it out.

It sounds easy in the manual but be aware it's heavy and awkward and there really is no substitute for experience. Rebuilding the box was actually quite simple, lots of tips and John Bartons blow by blow guide is excellent.

The boys at Dallas Autos said they'd do it for me but to save costs why not DIY and they could offer advice/parts etc.

Really chuffed I did it myself now...and it still appears to be working !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...