Hand crank procedure for a Ferret?

smashycrashy

this after a night in the pub, so bear with me! first of all i have started my ferret once from cold with starting handle and its bloody hard work! left hand engine deck up, prime carb 3 pumps throttle pedal maybe first position on choke have some one by carb ready to catch engine if she starts i presume u have a starting handle? if u have thrown your back out your stuffed , best option ! go to costco buy 2 new batteries and wack em in if the old ones got discharged on boat they are knackered might as well replace em now,by the way when engine hot piece of pee to start with handle.:cool2:

Edited by griff66

Had someone come over to help crank, he could get it cranking continous for about 20 seconds before he pooped out.

I had the choke out, in neutral, squirted a bit of brake cleaner into the carb, master switch on, tried for a hour before I called it for the time being.

Might be worth pouring a bit of fuel stright into the carbs, rather than mess with brake cleaner, yes we know it works but is a bit nasty. I did try spraying fuel in from a spray type bottle , it worked a treat BUT for best protection of eyebrows use at arms length.

if u cant start it by hand after all advice given here, charge / replace batteries, u can tow start them i suppose engage 2nd gear return lever to n position make SURE fwd/rev lever is in position you are going to be towed in! have u got copy of user hand book for scout car, ferret, all marks if not get one !

Edited by griff66

Shouldn't be too difficult.... As others have said though, if the batteries are really no good, then I doubt it'll start... If the batteries are just a bit weak or just flat, it should fire up... As for knackering, try hand-cranking a Saracen!,.... Done it a few times now.... And that IS hard work!

I've never tried starting a Ferret on a starting handle, but good advice when hand cranking any engine is never grip with your thumb; keep your thumb alongside your index finger.

Once had an engine kick back and break my wrist!

:rolleyes:

As others have said though, if the batteries are really no good, then I doubt it'll start... If the batteries are just a bit weak or just flat, it should fire up...

Ah well I think the batteries are dead I thought hand cranking would overcome that but I guess not. I will have to wait for the back to get better to get the batteries out.

Anything special about getting the battery out from under the air cleaner housing?

large jubilee clip off pipe then slacken bolt between air cleaner and hull, air filter will lift out be careful it should have about a litre of engine oil in it

And watch your back, it's BLOODY heavy especially when knelt on sharp ferret interior :-) Recommend knee pads. Coincidentally I didn't have a prolapsed disc until I got the ferret, coincidence? :-)

Back was feelin' stronger today so I took a crack at the air cleaner and got it off (sloooowly)

Question on putting batteries back in, in series, When I took them off I treated each independently, took of Neutral then Positive on both sides then went to the other battery and did the same. But was thinking that might not be the right way.

When putting them back in should I put positive on both batteries and then Neutral on (air cleaner side first?) and then the other neutral on. Or does it just not matter.

I'd connect pos on bat 2 (under gen panel) first, then connect interconnect cable from neg on batt 2 to pos on bat 1 (under airbox) then Finally, connect neg on batt 1, which goes to ground. Never work on either battery without disconnecting Batt 1 neg to ground. I have a cut off switch at this point - neither battery connected to ground, so no worry if accidentally shorting to chassis with a spanner whilst tightening up the clamps.

I'd connect pos on bat 2 (under gen panel) first, then connect interconnect cable from neg on batt 2 to pos on bat 1 (under airbox) then Finally, connect neg on batt 1, which goes to ground. Never work on either battery without disconnecting Batt 1 neg to ground. I have a cut off switch at this point - neither battery connected to ground, so no worry if accidentally shorting to chassis with a spanner whilst tightening up the clamps.

Thanks, that's perfect. I had come to a similiar conclusion after doing a little manual drawing (I hadn't worked with batteries in series, thus my ignorant question) but I hadnt determined yet (due to work) which cable was the interconnecting one.

Every time I disconnected the batteries I always traced which cable went back to the earth terminal on the distribution box nect to the fuel filter....and disconnect that first.

Thats a good idea, one way to know for sure.

With a bit of downhill, it is dead easy to push start a Ferret with three or four bodies to push. Probably possible on the flat: luckily the twice I needed to in 1976, each time we had a bit of downhill.

Driver selects third gear (IIRC). Bodies push the WHEELS (less resistance to overcome than pushing the hull). Fluid in the flywheel starts to turn, turns the engine, job's a good 'un.

ooh i didnt know they would tow start, just plonk them in gear and go, is that all thats needed...nothing else...I have a dodgy fuel pump on mine and am hoping a bt of bump starting will re invigorate it but not sure...