Combined Ops 2012

Just a heads upon an event in Kent which is becoming firmly established on the events calender, it is Combined Ops, run by IMPS on 11th/12th August at Headcorn Aerodrome. This is going to be a great show this year. Apart from the usual MVs and Living History groups the schedule of air displays this year looks great, and it’s not affected by the Olympics ‘no fly zone’restrictions as Headcorn is outside the zone, so aircraft can fly freely into and out, so there are some great classic planes booking in for the show I’m told. Some people may know Andrew Robertshaw, the military historian and TV broadcaster. He is going to be at the show, giving a talk about his role and experiences as the Military Advisor to Steven Speilberg on the film Warhorse,which should be very interesting. He has done a number of talks for the IMPS club nights and is a great speaker. He will also be selling and signing some of his books. There’s more info about the show at www.combinedops.co.uk or www.imps.org.uk I will be at the show again this year, with my Bedford QL, doing a spot of marshalling duties at times.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

• 2 months later...

I'm now booked in with my Ferret. This will be my 1st proper MV show as previously have supported local shows and fetes. Only one day though, Saturday as will be also aiming to support the Help for Heroes car and boot fair at Faversham on the Sunday with the Saracen. Its going to be a hectic weekend, should be graet fun though!

Just to clarify a point regarding the flying. There is a prohibited zone that mainly covers central London and requires the usual security checks before entering and which is nowhere near Headcorn. There is also a larger resticted zone that Headcorn is very definately in. This requires flight plans to enter and depart with restriction imposed as to what you can do in it. Airfields inside but within five miles of the boundary can have a small exemption requiring simple procedures rather than flight plans.

It is not outside of the zone though, so you can't just drop in!

restricted.jpg

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Hi Adrian,

Good point, my initial post was information coming straight from the organiser, at the time, here is some more info, which no doubt you have seen, but just for anyone who might be thinking of flying in;

http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/London_2012_Olympic_Airspace_Restrictions_DfT.html

http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/London_2012_Olympic_Airspace_Restrictions.html

Edited by Richard Farrant

I'm now booked in with my Ferret. This will be my 1st proper MV show as previously have supported local shows and fetes. Only one day though, Saturday as will be also aiming to support the Help for Heroes car and boot fair at Faversham on the Sunday with the Saracen. Its going to be a hectic weekend, should be graet fun though!

You'll enjoy it!

Also had a great time and thanks to the organisers and very friendly co-exhibitionists. I certainly learnt a lot more about Ferrets and met some lovely people. The quality of some of the vehicles is amazing and a clear incentive to keep sanding and brushing and painting and working to get it just so. Seems my Ferret is fairly uniquely original and well preserved - though a bit tatty. Whatever, I now know she can cope with Tiverton Hill!

Only one day at Combined Ops as supporting Help for Heroes in Faversham with Saracen on the Sunday!

Edited by simonm
comment modified at request of mod

It was more than a little on its side. but all ok.

2-1.jpg

FerretRollover.jpg

The most important thing is that my other half and my daughter got out ok apart from some bruising to Lisa,s back.After a check up in hospital we went back to the show ground and continued with the rest of the show. All i can say on the incident is that i made a circuit first following a 432. I didn,t want to go around again as i was concerned for my youngest in there.

When the roll over occured i was actually trying to head for the outer circuit,and from my postition in the Ferret didn,t see the scrape. From where i was sitting it just looked like a continous piece of grass. I got a warning from Lisa at the last moment to turn right and as i did one wheel was already on the edge. The banking gave way and in it rolled.Lisa and Taylor were saved from serious injury or worse due to the fact that the top hatched moved half way back and dug into the bank the other side. I would once again like to say thanks to the 432 driver behind who pulled Lisa and taylor clear and to all the EMS teams and marshalls for there very quick response. Thank you very much fella,s all of you. As for the Ferret its already in the work shop have the repairs carried out which are minor....

Ferretrollover3.jpg

Rollover4.jpg

Apart from that we still had a great weekend with a great bunch of people. Roll on next year.:thumbsup: