Hello from California

Greetings,

I'm relatively new to the MV world and have happened to recently purchased two Mk 2/3 Ferret's.

I'll be around mostly lurking in the British Vehicle but possibly selling & buying a few extras.

If anyone knows of an Ex-REME mechanic or anyone else familiar with Ferrets in So Cal, please drop me a line as I have a feeling I will get in over my head at some point.

Best Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply been a bit busy with Ferret #1. Based on when it was acquired by the last owner (1988) and some of the manuals (Canadian), I think it might have been a Canadian Ferret.

But the data plate say Mk 1/2. The book on Canadian Ferrets says there was no Mk 1/2 Ferrets, so it's a bit curious. It has been since converted to a Mk 2/3.

Here is the data plate:

ferret1dataplate.jpg

Sorry for the late reply been a bit busy with Ferret #1. Based on when it was acquired by the last owner (1988) and some of the manuals (Canadian), I think it might have been a Canadian Ferret.

But the data plate say Mk 1/2. The book on Canadian Ferrets says there was no Mk 1/2 Ferrets, so it's a bit curious. It has been since converted to a Mk 2/3.

Here is the data plate:

Hello

The data plate shows Military registration 00EA98 which was part of British contract 6/FV/506, so not an export ferret, but a british ferret. Hull number is 3181, which does seem to tie in with the military registration number and build sequence.

However, many ferrets, especially later privately exported ferrets have has their registration numbers "messed with". 00EA98 was indeed originally a mk 1/2, so the data plate may be genuine, but it looks like it might have been touched up. I can see a very faint overhaul stamp on the rebuild section, can you read the details? This shouldn't really be so faint, has it been attamped to be removed? Also the contract section has been mis stamped.

The proof will be what is under the data plate. Underneath should be the hull build plate, which hopefully will have the hull number (in this case 3181) and the month and build of manufacture.

Can you unbolt the data plate and take a photo of what is underneath?

Regards

Matt

I will pull the plate this weekend and get the hull numbers. Also the numbers on the outside don't match the inside data plate, it shows 18 EA 25 on the big plate over the front drivers hatch.

The overhaul stamp says "Base O/Haul" and "10 82" but I'll have to see if anything else is in the other two parts as it isnt legible from the photos.

I will pull the plate this weekend and get the hull numbers. Also the numbers on the outside don't match the inside data plate, it shows 18 EA 25 on the big plate over the front drivers hatch.

The overhaul stamp says "Base O/Haul" and "10 82" but I'll have to see if anything else is in the other two parts as it isnt legible from the photos.

Hello

Yes, looks like there is some spurious information going on (again). I hope there is a hull plate which might reveal the true identity.

Look forward to hearing about it.

Cheers

Matt

Hello Chris.

Thanks for posting the pic of the hull plate. As you can see, that number does not match the hull number on the data plate.

However it does tie up with the number you quoted above the drivers hatch 18EA25

I am 100% certain using build sequences of ferrets before and after yours in production that 3312 corresponds to 18EA25.

The data plate fitted has either been transplanted from the other ferret or even stamped out new as the other ferret for some reason (or reasons unknown)

Cheers

Matt

So this isn't a Canadian Ferret then? Strange, I have a ton of Canadian gear and candian manuals. It could be what was prevelant at the time the owner was collecting. Someone in the UK told me it couldn't be a UK Ferret as it was before the MoD release for Ferrets, he must have been mistaken about that.

It's certainly an early release. What date did it start in private ownership?

I'll hand over to robin, re the canadian side. he'll tell you whether or not it's a canadian ferret.

Can you post some photos of the whole ferret, engine bay, generator, light clusters etc.

Cheers

Matt

From what I can see from the photographs it is lacking the usual details that would 100% define it's country of usage. It is missing most of the Canadian modifications found on most vehicles. I do have to say that my c/s 31 lacks some of them but has original markings and paint that trump anything else.

The last Canadian Ferrets were released in the 1981 timeframe.

A Ferret is such a bolt on or off meccano set of parts that if you wanted to back fit all the minor do dads and whats its to make a Brit Ferret it is very easy if you have the pockets to buy the bits and pieces it can be done.

Without doing a ton more digging I can not for absolute certain state that it hasn't suffered that fate. Recently I have been given too many object lessons in how "Truth is stranger than Fiction" to make a statement without proof.

R