ANOTHER FUEL PRICE RISE? 16p per gallon

daz76

There are only two certainties in this world..........taxes and death and the way the tax situation is going it will be the death of me.:angry At least that will stop them grabbing any more off me. :-D

Well, what about Diesel then?

Guess you Brits think its high but consider this.

A Brandnew big Land Rover costs in roadtaxes 4oo gbp a year for you? and 200 for a 2003 one?

My diesel, 2 seater ,less than 1000kilo, Renault express in roadtaxes is about 550 GBP a year!!!

And its made in 1997.

Excuse me if I don't feel heartbroken what diesel prices in the UK are concerned compared to roadtaxes...:cry:

( Correct me if I'm wrong about the numbers)

A Brandnew big Land Rover costs in roadtaxes 4oo gbp a year for you? and 200 for a 2003 one?

My diesel, 2 seater ,less than 1000kilo, Renault express in roadtaxes is about 550 GBP a year!!!

And its made in 1997.

Excuse me if I don't feel heartbroken what diesel prices in the UK are concerned compared to roadtaxes...:cry:

Want sympathy, look in a dictionary! :D Even drowning our sorrows is going out the window in UK! The latset 'tax' proposed is a minimum price per unit of alcahol. Funny though, the opposition parties are squealing this will hit pensioners! From all too personal experince I can say you don't see many pensioners **** out of their minds on a Saturday night. Numbers, Dodges Nil, 1995 Discovery £215, at least it was the day before the budget, so I've a year before worrying about that.

And its made in 1997.

Yes Enigma you're about right on the Road Fund Licence for a new Discovery or Range Rover, a Defender is somewhat less, my 2003 Defender is £210. The cost is based on emissions.

Just one question - If they sell Petrol in Litres, why is the price rise 16p a Gallon? Wouldn't it be better for the Government to say how much a Litre it is going up?

Sorry Woa2, that's my fault. Although I was educated in a metric society, I still think in old money for stuff like this. As mentioned above, a few pence per litre doesn't sound very much when the Government announce another rise. Seen in larger units, such as a gallon, or how much more it will cost you per tankful, I think it brings it home in a slightly more realistic way. :cry:

Daz.

I think it brings it home in a slightly more realistic way. :cry:

This has happened all through metrication and is one reason why we were always told not to hark back to outmoded currency, weights and measures. Just for those too young to be a grumpy old man like me here is a short history lesson....

When we worked in gallons and £-s-d in the 60's a 1/2d a gallon rise was the minimum increase.

When we decimalised a minimum rise of 1/2p was equivelent to 1 and 1/4 old pence so rises more than doubled overnight.

After a while the 1/2p was withdrawn, doubling the minimum rise overnight.....again!

Now we are on litres the miniimum rise has become 4.5p per gallon... that is 10 and 1/2d in old money

So in 50 years price rises have risen by 21 times.

Lesson over

(all calculations based on rounding up or down to nearest 1/2d.... or a farthing if nearer :angel:)

Edited by rog8811

Sorry Woa2, that's my fault. Although I was educated in a metric society, I still think in old money for stuff like this. As mentioned above, a few pence per litre doesn't sound very much when the Government announce another rise. Seen in larger units, such as a gallon, or how much more it will cost you per tankful, I think it brings it home in a slightly more realistic way. :cry:

Daz.

Daz

It wasn't you I was criticising, I have heard the BBC News refering to the price of petrol in Gallons not Litres. I see how the rise sounds worse in Gallons.

Robert

PS. I've told my family that the Metric system stops at my Garage door.