When the Royal Navy was a Navy.

Tony B

I was in Bulwark mess at HMS Ganges, I wonder if that was Bulwark? She was converted to a Commando Carrier.

It might be a Centaur class of carrier as the Aircraft are DH Venoms which would make it middle 50's onwards. The carrier in the film doesn't seem to have a very noticeable angled flight deck. Which would also say Centaur class, My three pennies worth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur_class_aircraft_carrier

HMS Hermes is still in service with the Indian Navy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hermes_(R12)

Edited by ferrettkitt

• 5 weeks later...

The film was produced in 1960 (according to the IWM), and the carrier is HMS Centaur (R06).

Centaur was the only ship of her class completed to the original (1943) design with an axial flight deck (the others were built with angled flight decks) although she was rebuilt with a 6 degree angled flight deck between 1956 and 1958. In the film, aircraft appear to be taking off axially but this may be an a trick of the perspective. After the rebuild, she flew Sea Venom (as seen in the film) and Sea Hawk aircraft, and, after a refit in 1960, Sea Vixen and Scimitar. She also appeared in the film "Sink The Bismark!" standing in for both Ark Royal and Victorious. She was paid off in December 1965 and used as an accomodation ship, stricken in 1971 and broken up the same year.

Sister ships were Albion, Hermes, Bulwark, Elephant, Monmouth, Arrogant and Polyphemus.

The LST which features prominently is L3516, HMS Striker. She was paid off in June 1966 and sticken in 1971.