Foden GS

Well it has finally given up the ghost, the engine is lovely but the gearbox I thought was knackered but it turns out the clutch which was replaced a few miles ago, is completely gone, well I think it has, I havent had the heart to go see if its adjustment yet...

I will get the boys to have a look and see if it really has gone or it its the clutch mechnism before i finally give up and get her totally overhauled. I would like to get the old girlrunning properly but have yet to decide how to go. I would love to fit an allison auto box, the engine is good for about 340 bhp so no need to change that but would an auto work...is it a big job, with modern electrics and things would the older eagle engine have the rigth sensors to operate the gearbox...anyone know how to do this.

I really want this truck to be my main haulage truck for fairs and things....it really needs a complete going over...I dont have the staff or time right now...needs loads of interior bits for it too, new blinds and interior niceties...would have loved to have a foden sleeper cab fitted.

I boght a big monster heavy duty winch from John on here and an eaton nine speed to replace the eaton 8 speed in the hope to restore some of the speed of the original GS but have not had any hope of fitting it...and the winh is so larg am concerned it will reduce my load space too much....may have to think about fitting it via a pulley block at the front...and drop the winch inbetween the chassi rails somewhere...but likely now it will never get fitted.

anyone have any idea how easy it is to fit an autobo0x or would it be easier to buy an engine and box complete...and drop that in...

Paul, the monster heavy duty winch is an ex-Crusader 35T tracror unit Plumett winch, it has a single line pull rating of 8 tons with 275 foot of rope on it. The winch may be visibly big but broken down into its component parts it is quite versatile dont be fooled by the big hydraulic tank on it. The gearbox I sold you should fit right up to the engine without any problem and it had a very good lipe rolaway clutch with it. Stay with the manual gearbox, there are too many complications fitting up an auto box to that engine. The only electronics on that Eagle is a pulse output to the tacho.

Paul, the monster heavy duty winch is an ex-Crusader 35T tracror unit Plumett winch, it has a single line pull rating of 8 tons with 275 foot of rope on it. The winch may be visibly big but broken down into its component parts it is quite versatile dont be fooled by the big hydraulic tank on it. The gearbox I sold you should fit right up to the engine without any problem and it had a very good lipe rolaway clutch with it. Stay with the manual gearbox, there are too many complications fitting up an auto box to that engine. The only electronics on that Eagle is a pulse output to the tacho.

THANKS john its getting someone who knows these trucks to do it for me...and my thoughts were to put a pulley block at the front, of the flat bed body, so increasing its effective straight line pull to 16 tons without further need for a snatch block...

anyone know anyone who can do this for me...just got too much work to do myself...

THANKS john its getting someone who knows these trucks to do it for me...and my thoughts were to put a pulley block at the front, of the flat bed body, so increasing its effective straight line pull to 16 tons without further need for a snatch block...

anyone know anyone who can do this for me...just got too much work to do myself...

i,ll be down tomoz and will have a chat if your there

Hi Paul, the pulley block thing dosn't quite work like that, to get the 2:1 mechanical advantage the snatch block has to be on the casualty with the lose end of the rope anchored back to the vehicle the winch is on (or any other imovable object as long as it is more or less in line with the truck the winch is on).

Sounds like you may have someone reasonably close by who knows what they are doing...

a few pics of progress so far with foden gearbox change,found clutch was well worn so of for relining
is the gearbox being chanced because it's U/S or just because the gearbox is out to do clutch. Reason I ask is I don't see any reason to change for performance reasons as I believe both are direct drive in top gear. Plus best of luck trying to fit that winch in any form on a transporter bed.

To get 50 - 53 mph the gearbox needs to be overdrive in top gear, cant remember the exact ratio. If its a fuller 9 speed you can swap the gears internally so that it achives a higher ratio. You can tell if has been modified if the positions of 4/5 and 8/9 are reversed on the gear change pattern.

If this is the case then the gearchange pattern is someting like this:

low range

left top - reverse

left bottom - first/crawler

middle top - second

middle bottom - third

right bottom - forth

right top - fith

high range

middle top - sith

middle bottom - seventh

right bottom - eigth

right top - ninth

I gave away a gearbox manual with my old Foden so I cant look it up any more.

Popped in to see Paul and say Hello Bumped into Landy Andy in the depths of a Foden chassis. Nice to meet Paul and have a quick look around some of his toys!!!

we are changing the gearbox it is an eight speed, i am assuming the nine speed is a bigger overdrive, i am hoping it is as 52 to 53 is not great for this truck. they used to run 65 mph.

the eaton 8 speed is fine and i have a pto pump for the fuller 9 speed box....if it doesnt run at 60 then i will be disapointed...

As Bran said earlier the 9 speed Fuller can either be a direct top or overdrive top. The RTX 11609 for instance has a torque capacity of 1160 ft lbs, 9 speeds and with an overdrive top of 0.74:1.

0.74 to 1 will be good as that will run me better than 60mph. I am assuming the 8 speed is direct drive...so at max revs I was getting 52/3 mph, with a 30% approximately reduction I should see over 60 mph...fingers crossed.

My old Foden originally had the Foden 9 speed which was overdrive top. When I fitted the 9 speed fuller I wasnt sure if it had been setup as overdrive, but it was and it was a few mph faster than the foden box. I cannot remember the ratios now and dont have the manuals anymore, I didnt think it was as much as .74, so good luck!

Mind you 50 mph was fast enough for me, especially with a binner trailer behind !

yes I agree 50 mph is fast enough most of the time when loaded but empty it is a pain if I can maintain 56mph that makes life a whole load more interesting...and will improve fuel economy i hope...not that the eqgle is that bad to be fair..