bedford QL restoration

guy66

I see you have been using Zintec* sheet, well done that man, an eye to the future! When I finally get around to the thin sections of the Loyd hull, I will make it all from Zintec sheet.

*Perhaps not that brand but still a Mill Galvanised product.

Edited by ajmac

Hello Alistair, yes I like to use these plates with some zinc protection on them.

If you do construction work outside,are trail fit everything together you don't have to bother that this hole lot will start to rust.

Now I will strip al the side plate work to have some paint on them.

Guy

Hi Bill, if you have a look to the first threat of my QL restoration the date is somewhere round the end of 2011.

I went to collect the Bedford somewhere in July 2011 and started to strip the cabin of the chassis in November the same year.

Yes it is already more than a year that I am working on the QL and to be honest there dint pas a week without some little work on it.

Now I looking really forward to the day that the Bedford QL can drive again on his own steam, hopefully this spring and maybe to the W&P show!

Keep you updated on the forum!!

Guy

IMG_1373.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the picture, but this was somewhere in July 2011 when we collected the QL.

Re the Brake Servo- finally got the brakes on Phil's QL bled. If you arent aware, under the top plate that goes over the the push rod. There is an internal nut adjustment. Be careful as if it is adjusted to much it pushes the master and blocks the feed to the front cylinders. If it is loose, guess what? The &*(%^&** brakes won't bleed! Getting it right the brakes bleed up hard in about 20 minutes! Apparently the adjustment is not mentioned in the manual.

Hello Tony, I know the problem. I have a reprint of the maintenance manual and the original manual there is a difference in explanation. In the original manual you must have 2/32 play between the push rod and the plunger that moves the brake cylinder primary piston.

As mentioned in may previous thread it is not so simple to get it right!!

Hopefully I have it right this time.:nut:

Guy

Hello Tony, I know the problem. I have a reprint of the maintenance manual and the original manual there is a difference in explanation. In the original manual you must have 2/32 play between the push rod and the plunger that moves the brake cylinder primary piston.

As mentioned in may previous thread it is not so simple to get it right!!

Hopefully I have it right this time.:nut:

Guy

OH the Joy when you get it right! Grown men dancing about arm in arm! :-D

Now Bill, found the QL here locally. Think it was sold by the British army here in Belgium and with the radio box removed it was equipped with a crane.

When the QL is ready I will tray to trace were it was used after it left the army!

Guy

While waiting for some better temperatures to do some spray work I made the top wooden planks for cargo section.

Next week the weather forecast announces higher temperatures, the spray gun is ready!!!!:D

IMG_0849.jpg

Bad news for my rear hatch woodwork, the carpenter had some time back a motorbike accident and is back in hospital for some extra treatment.

I need to wait a bit for the rear hatch planks and will tackle some other work for the moment.

Guy

IMG_0850.jpg

Hello side sections of the cargo body are in paint and fitted. Now I can start on the floor!:-D

IMG_0853.jpg

Started also to make the rear mudguards from a very bad sample and making plans for the side toolboxes, the biggest problem on the toolboxes is the cross stamping on the side plate of such a box!

Guy

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

Now that the cargo body had al the side plates back in place I did put the petrol tank and a piece of petrol pipe back in between the cargo section and cabin.

IMG_0856.jpg

And the rear floor is also back in to place and hopefully for good. The top floor has a coat of black paint on it as a sort of primer, the underside is in the colour as the rest of the QL.

IMG_0863.jpg

Copied the brake master cylinder inspection hatch in the floor.

IMG_0868.jpg

I will paint the complete inside of the cargo section, floor and also a extra coat of paint on the inside side plates to get rid of al those shiny new bolts and nuts.

Guy

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

Hello Niels,

The complete set, spring and link comes from a military bedford MK are MJ model.

It is the same set up as a QL and easier to find.

And the pictures from the original

brake cylinder inspection cover that I copied.

IMG_0572.jpg

Guy

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rain, snow and high winds. Noting will stop us to get this QL ready!

Just made the 4 mudguards for the rear wheels and covered the rear wheel arch in the cargo body with some wood.

The side planks on the wheel box are new but the top planks are from the original floor.

Guy

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Hello, some woodwork on to the hinges, now I will bolt this lot together and ad the reinforcement strips and need also to make the lock plate.

Some bits on the lock plate are in wood and strengthen with sheet metal plate.

IMG_0921.jpg;)

IMG_0920.jpg

Edited by guy66

I was just wondering if you finished the QL restoration and if you have any more pictures?

best regards,

james.

Hello James.

We are still working on the QL but we are almost there!

Now we are really finishing of with al the details, rear of the cargo section, tool boxes, interior canvas bits and putting the roof and doors back on.

This is the plan for this year and next year I will made the cargo box hoops and have it covered with a big piece of canvas.

If you need some extra pictures just contact me, Guy