bedford QL restoration

guy66

just thinking (and not meaning to be picky) shouldn't the roof/top of the canvas be in S.C.C. 14 (black) too?

You can be right about the top of the canvas Paul, I have seen pictures with the top of the canvas in black.

But I think I will leave it as it is (think I will need to match paint to do the complete top).

But you have a point about the black top.

Guy

Looking forward to have a convoy of British trucks in Normandy, will you bring the trailer axle with you Ian ?

Guy.

Hi Guy don't worry we wont forget it, hope to get the axle loaded Thursday evening if we can remove the springs and get a couple more bodies to lift it.

• 3 weeks later...
Was great to see the truck again Guy, and also yourself of course!

Hope you had a good trip home.

Scott

For sure we had a great time in Normandy, on the Sunday we walked the Commando march again.

troop transport.jpg

The QL in use as troop transporter to the beach for are walk from Hermanville over Pegasus and then to Amfreville.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The girl's that worked at the camp site for the week of the Normandy D-day remembrance and dad in the back of the QL on are way to the Port- en Bessin liberation parade on the 7th June .We really had a splendid time over there.

DSC02006.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi I would like to congratulate you on your restoration I have recently purchased a QLR chassis for restoration which I am planning to convert to a QLD. Would it be possible for you to pass on some measurements that would help me along the way. I would like to know the size of the angle iron used on the rear body and the size of the wooden crossmbers. Thanks Neil

Hi I would like to congratulate you on your restoration I have recently purchased a QLR chassis for restoration which I am planning to convert to a QLD. Would it be possible for you to pass on some measurements that would help me along the way. I would like to know the size of the angle iron used on the rear body and the size of the wooden crossmbers. Thanks Neil

Hello Neil, it is possible to hive you some measurements. Will post some information this evening.

Guy

Here are some measurements.

1- Angle iron horizontal on wooden cross members (L-pofile) 50x50 and 8 mm thick

2-vertical L profile is 45x45 and 5 mm thick . vertical profile is 885 mm long on the sides and the same re-enforcement iron is used under the floor.

3-Wooden cross members 115x 50 x2220 mm long and 4 pieces, front cross member ( just after the spare wheel carrier )

115x50x 2130 mm

All these measurements are in metric size and original it must be Imperial size but these day's the Imperial sizes are not available any more and surely not over here !

Hope that these measurements are off some help, you can always contact me for more information ..

Guy