bedford QL restoration

guy66

great job!!!!

Could you tell me dimensions of the boards thickness and height?

many thanks

Hello Radek.

Here some dimensions for the woodwork on the back of the QL.

The thickness is 2.7 cm on all the boards (think that this is a standard size as the floor boards have the same thickness).

There are 5 boards on a rear hatch,

-Underside is 11cm x 2m22cm

- The 3 middle boards are 14.5cm x 2m22cm

-And last top one is 5.5cm x 2m22cm

All these board together make a total hight of 60 cm.

Hope you can do something with this information (the dimensions are taken from a genuine QL rear hatch!)

Guy

This week I had a very nice present from Jarek Leoniec from Poland.

Jarek is a plastic model kit designer with IBG models and one of his last models was a Bedford QLD. The model was send to my for free as the designer fond a lot of information and pictures in my restoration threads that served him so well in the design of this kit.

Thank you very match Jarek with this splendid model, butt now I will tray to finish the 1:1 scale model.

"It is really nice to make contact via this forum to such a bunch of dedicated people"

Guy

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Edited by guy66

as the designer fond a lot of information and pictures in my restoration threads that served him so well in the design of this kit.

I agree, I am saving all these pics for the same reason as I eventually plan to model the Bedford QL in 1/6th scale!

Jarek is a plastic model kit designer with IBG models and one of his last models was a Bedford QLD. The model was send to my for free as the designer fond a lot of information and pictures in my restoration threads that served him so well in the design of this kit.

Thank you very match Jarek with this splendid model, butt now I will tray to finish the 1:1 scale model.

"It is really nice to make contact via this forum to such a bunch of dedicated people"

Guy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75292[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75293[/ATTACH]

Hello Guy,

This was the reason for my question about the tailgate locking mechanism and the cab door interior.

I am using your restoration blog to help with building this kit.

cheers

Kevin

Made the wooden side sections for the underside of the cargo body, now that everything fit I will remove them and machine these bits a little bit because originally thy are not plain.

The re-enforcements for the rear wheel arches are also ready and can paint these bits.

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

Excellent work again Guy! Can I ask you what type of wood you are using; it looks really nice!

So, D-day 2014, can we admire the truck there?

Alex

Hello Alex, I don't really know what kind of wood my carpenter have me, but I was asking for hard wood and this was the wood I got.

For sure it is hard and I think it is tropical?

Yes looking really forward to D-day 2014, but think I am not the only wane on this forum.

Guy

Guy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75292[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]75293[/ATTACH]

The models would be so much easier to store! :cheesy:

Great job with the wood work; definitely an imported hard wood. My guess would be Iroko?

My progress on the QL for this week!

Did some spray work, rear mudguards, front wheel's, rear hatch hinges and the supports for the rear lights.

Fitted the wood to the hinges and now I can start on the two lock plates for the rear hatch.

The WD tax disc holder is also back on his place and as we don't have to show are road tax here in Belgium I have a sticker in it from the local ex para-commando group where my dad is a member of.

IMG_0931.jpg:laugh:

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Hello Alex, I don't really know what kind of wood my carpenter have me, but I was asking for __af_placement_id--[AFF-PLACEMENT-ID].html"]hard wood and this was the wood I got.

For sure it is hard and I think it is tropical?

Yes looking really forward to D-day 2014, but think I am not the only wane on this forum.

Great job with the wood work; definitely an imported __af_placement_id--[AFF-PLACEMENT-ID].html"]hard wood. My guess would be Iroko?

Guy, James, thanks for your responce. I also have to source some nice hardwood for my CMP.

Definately looking forward to D-Day 2014. I just heard the weather will be terrific:D

Good work again Guy!

Alex

some extra work on the tailgate, tomorrow I will make the step that is attached to the hatch and fitting the chain for when the tailgate is half open. The spring that helps to lift the hatch is working very fine!

Made also the little hooks to attach the cord of the tarpaulin,

and rear lighting is in place but need to connect this lot.

Guy

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

The rear hatch is now almost ready and painted, just need to make the step on the inside of the hatch and ad some little hooks for the tarpaulin cord.

Started to paint the vehicle number on the rear and also the blue background for the special service brigade sign.

Fitted also the little light that's illuminates the white paint on the rear axle and you can also see the pin for the trailer socket butt this socket will first need some paint.

Al these original electrical fittings do work butt I don't think it is wise to drive on today's roads only with the axle light :wow:

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, back on the QL.

Repaired the front crash bar because it was impossible to find a replacement, 3 sections of the bar where replaced with some new tube and the bar is back on the front of the QL.

Fitted the petrol and water jerry can rack back, and started with the canvas bits for the inside of the cabin.

Next week we do are annual trip to Normandy with the Triumph 3hw bike and next year it will be with the Bedford!

Guy

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Normandy with the triumph 3hw and the 2 BSA para bicycles. This year it kept dry but we had a lot of cold wind on certain days, but we enjoyed are trip.

On the picture we are preparing to start the commando march from Hermanville sur Mer on Sword beach and walk over Pegasus bridge to the commando farm in Amfreville with the two BSA bicycles.

Guy

IMG_1017.jpg

Just back from Normandy with the triumph 3hw and the 2 BSA para bicycles. This year it kept dry but we had a lot of cold wind on certain days, but we enjoyed are trip.

On the picture we are preparing to start the commando march from Hermanville sur Mer on Sword beach and walk over Pegasus bridge to the commando farm in Amfreville with the two BSA bicycles.

Guy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77811[/ATTACH]

Love it Guy, I'm sure anymore pictures you have from your visit would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

After the holiday in Normandy we are back on the QL, if I want to make the trip to W&P show there is still some work to do!

Fitted the canvas radiator funnel and the grill cover, Also put the cupola cover on the roof. These exterior canvas bits where made by Brian Middleton and he made a splendid job of it.

The cover with the canvas gaiters is over the gearbox and the cargo floor has a fresh coat of green paint.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg