bedford QL restoration

guy66

Hello Guy,

Your boxes look good, your missing the little leather straps off the doors?

Regards

John

Yes John you are right on the leather strap, I am looking to make these. Butt is there some wane go knows the use of the leather strap, I think I know!

IMG_0879.jpg

But there is a difference on my boxes and the original ones ?

IMG_0880.jpg

?????;)

The leather strap on the tool box is to hold the lid open, on the top horizontal face of the rub strip, above the strap, there should be a brass nipple, the same as on the rear body on a MW. The leather strap should have a key hole shaped cut out in it for the nipple to go through. Makes good sense when you try and load the locker. If you look closely on the picture below you can just make out the nipple on the rub strip.

dad.jpg

In fact guy, where are your rub strips?

reagrds

John

Edited by rippo

The leather strap on the tool box is to hold the lid open, on the top horizontal face of the rub strip, above the strap, there should be a brass nipple, the same as on the rear body on a MW. The leather strap should have a key hole shaped cut out in it for the nipple to go through. Makes good sense when you try and load the locker. If you look closely on the picture below you can just make out the nipple on the rub strip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78813[/ATTACH]

In fact guy, where are your rub strips?

reagrds

John

Hello John you are right about the leather strap! Is it possible to send my a picture of this brass nipple so I can reproduce this bit. Normally I will fit the rub strips this week, only wait for my carpenter to machine them a bit that there is a slight slope to the outside.

IMG_0925.jpg

Guy

IMG_0924.jpg

Here's some pics for you

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78836[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78837[/ATTACH]

Base measures 45mm less radius

height 18mm

Hope this is of some help.

RR.

Thanks for the pictures, now I can make a pair.

Guy

Fist meeting with the QL, made a visit to the open door day's of the local ex para club.

next week I still have to do some fiddling on the Bedford to make the trip to W&P show.

Think the ignition will need some adjustment and the left hand toolbox need to be fitted on to the cargo floor.IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

Hello John , we leave on Wednesday morning and it is something around 100 Km drive to Dunkerque to catch are ferry and then it is only peanuts to the meeting.

Guy

Edited by guy66

Hello,

We made it with the QL to W&P and back without problems, Just on the last leg of the trip there was some blow by on the exhaust system and I think it must be the manifold are the connection to the downpipe.

All by all it was a super weekend and really enjoyed my trip to the show, and as cherry on the cake I revived the 1ste price for best British vehicle over 5cwt.

Guy

IMG_1119.jpg

A very dusty mousetrap waiting for the return ferry at Dover.

IMG_4596.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Scott for these really super pictures, I was mostly behind the steering wheel and therefore don't have match action pictures.

I really enjoyed my trip and met a bunch of like-minded people from the forum. Thanks everybody for the nice comments on the QL and the interesting chat I had with a lot of you.

I don't can forget Ian and his company as he kept us a nice spot on there MVT group spot and now I know how to replace a cylinder head gasket on a Austin K5;)

Guy

I don't can forget Ian and his company as he kept us a nice spot on there MVT group spot and now I know how to replace a cylinder head gasket on a Austin K5;)

Guy

:mad::mad: K5 cylinder head gasket :mad::mad: well done on 1st place for your QL restoration Guy.

Done a great job on the Ql, drove past a few times, the Ql looked brilliant sitting with the k5 to.

And guy the man who had my Ql had a friend looking for you to pick some spares up, did he find you?

Bill.

Now problem Bill the spare parts for the QLT are on there way to a new project, nice to know that other people take up the challenge to keep a QL Bedford on the road!

Guy