bedford QL restoration

guy66

today I visited a classic motorbike jumble and did a real bargain!

Bought my a headlight black out cover for the QL, and for a real nice price :nut:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69470[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]69471[/ATTACH]

They dont come up for sale very often now & the last one of them I saw on ebay sold for over £100 but I bet you didnt pay that much Guy.

How you going to have the headlights, just a N/S blackout ? or blackout plus normal light on the O/S or 2 blackouts ? I was thinking of having 2 blackouts like yours as I've managed to obtain 3 now.

Have the tow hitch in place after some repair and with a very nice bucket from 1943 on tow.:whistle:

IMG_0701.jpg

I also have the measurements for the rear hatch from a friend his QLD, tomorrow I will have the woodwork made.

Guy

Hello Niels, on the QL that I took the measurements there are two metal sheets on the front of the cargo section.

The rear hatch on your pictures is the same as the one I will replicate, Just there are no step holes in to the wood.IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The rebuild radiator in place and connected, now I can run the engine for the first time in its right place.

(Had a test run of the engine in the workshop after the rebuild).

All the electrical stuff is working and have a extra loom to the rear for the rear lights.

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Lovely job Guy, its a credit to you well done so far.

Thanks Ian for the comment, how is it with your QL ? we are missing your restoration tread.

If I have no extra surprises on the QL I was thinking to bring him over for war and peace show!

Guy

Thanks Ian for the comment, how is it with your QL ? we are missing your restoration tread.

If I have no extra surprises on the QL I was thinking to bring him over for war and peace show!

Guy

Hi Guy it has been mega busy at work over the winter period & I've also been concentrating more on the bowser restoration since Christmas but the QL engine & gearbox rebuilds are also near completion so I will be posting updates soon.

Started the engine today but I suspect that there is a problem with the brake servo, it is very difficult to leave the engine turning on idle.

Also when I depress the brake pedal the pedal don't comes back completely, I suspect that there is a problem with the valve on the brake servo.

Any Ideas what I can do with this brake servo and where to find parts to rebuild the servo and servo valve?

Tomorrow I will start to disconnect the servo from the inlet manifold and see if I have some improvement.>:(

Hello, the engine is running very fine after some adjustments on the ignition and with the brake servo disconnected.

Think that the valves on the brake servo are in need of some service, are replacement?

As this truck was never in use on the public highway after military service there was never a provision for extra rear lights.

Al that was left was a single electrical wire from the front to the rear of the chassis. This wire was for the single small rear light and the floodlight (white mark on the back axle ).

Made up a extra wiring loom to goes from the cabin to the rear and have a fuse box from Holden Lucas spares (as the original) in the place where the dynamo control box normally sits on a QLD.

As my QL was a radio type the big dynamo control box sits on to the rear bulkhead of the cabin.

IMG_0763.jpg

extra fuse box

IMG_0764.jpg

Original dynamo control box

Made also some electrical provisions for a flashing light for the rear. As I can make up from the reports of outher QL owners that the good cruising speed will be around 40 a 45 MPH, then the after coming traffic will be notified that there is something slower in front.

Guy

Edited by guy66

Here we have the rubber u profile for around the glass, only available in grey and transparent.

IMG_0773.jpg

And made also the supports for the rear lights, will use two 7 pin sockets sow that I can easily remove for the rear light.

Made also a support for a rear flashing light with a 2 pin socket.

IMG_0778.jpg;)

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have been working on the cargo body of my QL, rolled the top and bottom step in sheet metal plate for the front and sides of cargo section.

Also made the wheel arches and these will receive some wood on top when I fit the floor.

IMG_0807.jpg

The rolled step on top and bottom of the plate

IMG_0802.jpg

Wheel box

IMG_0812.jpg

Front section

IMG_0811.jpg

Side section

Edited by guy66

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks, made al the seals that go around the engine hood. Had some very bad samples left over and made copies of these bits.

IMG_0830.jpg

Some of the old samples, noting match left!

IMG_0819.jpg

The new canvas strips with the felt strip inside and small metal strips as original

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Seals in place on booth sides

IMG_0826.jpg

And now we have a well fitting engine cover with some isolation in the inside, will keep the engine head a little bit out of the cabin this summer !!:red:

With al these years been exposed to the elements the brake booster and cylinder where in need of a good overhaul,

brake cylinder has been sleeved and I replaced the leather seal and valve rubbers in the brake servo.

You really need to have a QL workshop manual to adjust the valves on the brake servo as it is not a easy set up.

IMG_0828.jpg

Guy

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

The side sheet metal plates are fitted on the cargo body, no I can remove this lot for some paintwork.

Next step will be the floor, this will be a straightforward job as al the wooden planks gave been trail fitted before.

IMG_0833.jpg

Next sheet metal work will be the 4 rear mudguards and the 2 toolboxes, for the mudguards I have a sample but the toolbox will be made from pictures and measurements I took from a friend his QLD.

Luckily fond a original jerry can carrier that I can use under the floor after some welding and straitening!

Guy

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Edited by guy66