War and Peace Show 2007

Hi All,

for the last 4 years have had met up with friends from another forum at the showand it is great t put faces to names and chat (and drink, and drink) with like minded souls though even at 16:30 it can still get rather noisy in the ginger gammon bar :beer: :beer: :nut:

A photo shoot may well have to take part off site (carpark area ??) to find enough room

Just some thoughts

Ashley

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year's Beltring I drove all around the place on my para scotter to find HMVF vehicles.

Found Mark, Sirhc, Safariswing, Mick Wilson and the Red Ball Express and a Stalward (sorry don't know who you were).

But with so many vehicles I was bound to miss some.

Got a nice cup of tea, was dangerous to drink cause Mick and me were on a moving Sherman... :cofee:

Do you recall where abouts the Stalwart was? If it was over to the left of the bridge, second block, into the America's field it was likely mine - although I don't recall meeting a mad dutchman on a scooter......

Do you recall where abouts the Stalwart was? If it was over to the left of the bridge, second block, into the America's field it was likely mine - although I don't recall meeting a mad dutchman on a scooter......

No it wasn't you.

The Stolly was near the stalls, I talked to the owner.

Here a pic of me, I mostly wear desert outfit at Beltring.

[attachment deleted by admin]

No it wasn't you.

The Stolly was near the stalls, I talked to the owner.

Here a pic of me, I mostly wear desert outfit at Beltring.

Yes - there were another 3 of them over in that area including a ver (and I mean VERY) nice Mk 1 - looked as though it had just left the factory!! Whwever I went past there were no owners to be seen so alas I never got the chance to talk to them :cry:

Looks like the Tommy Atkins re-enactment society (portraying the Leicestershire Regiment in NW Europe 1944-45) will be there, anyone's more than welcome to come over for a brew up and a chat. May even have a VERY nice universal carrier. Does anyone know if the organisers lets groups dig in?

Looks like the Tommy Atkins re-enactment society (portraying the Leicestershire Regiment in NW Europe 1944-45) will be there, anyone's more than welcome to come over for a brew up and a chat. May even have a VERY nice universal carrier. Does anyone know if the organisers lets groups dig in?

Digging in is only allowed in the Living History section, so if your group is booked in as a living history group in that area then the answer is possibly yes..

We should be. Plan is to dig in like front line positions, not entirely sure what to do yet but one idea was to get a photo of the Leicesters dug in, and try and copy that photo exactly, and have the photo on a board in front of the display. Have only been to War and Peace once, back in 2002 (I think). Does there tend to be many British infantry groups? Only remember seeing the LRDG guys and some airborne troops last time

We should be. Plan is to dig in like front line positions, not entirely sure what to do yet but one idea was to get a photo of the Leicesters dug in, and try and copy that photo exactly, and have the photo on a board in front of the display. Have only been to War and Peace once, back in 2002 (I think). Does there tend to be many British infantry groups? Only remember seeing the LRDG guys and some airborne troops last time

You should contact Greg Cottee who runs the living history at Beltring ASAP re space as the best areas are being given to larger groups this year. You can get his email address from this website http://www.aapathfinders.co.uk'>http://www.aapathfinders.co.uk'>http://www.aapathfinders.co.uk

From WW2 forum....Greg Cottee wrote..

first of all..yes the show is going on with the same team as normal at least for the next 10 years as agreed in a meeting recently so please quash ALL rumours you have heard.

with that out of the way ill get onto wat matters...living history at the show:..for the 2007 25th anniv. show priorty will have to be given to the larger groups wishing to put on bigger displays and staying till the sunday evening as in the past 3-4 years i have had groups "bug" out early on sat. night/sunday morning.Unfortunately the idea of our field is to display for the entire show as thats wat the mop are paying to see.I know we have smaller groups wanting to attend and i asure you they will be sited but please take into account we have a field which 4 years agao catered for 67 groups...now the same field has to cater for 100-120 groups with no extra space so the bigger LIVING HISTORY displays will have to take priority.The tree line on the field will be allocated to the larger groups/associations first and then wat space left will be allocated accordingally.I can tell you that we have 3 extreemely large displays already planned for the tree line one of these in-corporating the war walks and two seperate battles at either end of the tree line.Please be aware that when you ask for location on the forms it is not a guarantee you will get the first choice.We have come to a stage at the show were the level of displays has risen to a high standard so please bear with me..more to follow soon.thanks.greg cottee..L.H.Official.

"Off duty,theyd move into a bar in little groups and if everyone there didn"t get down on their knees in adoration,theyd simply tear the place up,destroy it.God help the "straight legs" they came across.They were a pack of jackals.."

SGT.BOB.m.MURPHY..A/505th,82nd P.I.R. Pathfinder...

SSGT.Greg Cottee

Pathfinders

2nd Battalion

505 P.I.R.

82nd Abn.

http://www.aapathfinders.co.uk

Hi All

We have obtained a JCB which we will be taking to W&P in 2007 it's not military but it should be painted green, if any of you re-enactors or anyone else for that matter want some trenches dug or earth moving or anything else?, let me know and it can be arranged, it will be cheap to use (as my mate likes driving it and he is) much cheaper than getting one in, and if it is as hot as last year then best of luck with a shovel.

PM me if anyone is interested. :tup:

Thought they used a JCB every year to dig the trenches :|

Yes they might do, but as my mate said, it costs a lot of money and here is an alternative being offered that will be a lot cheaper and on site for the whole show.

• 2 weeks later...

We drive from Holland and take the Ferry from Dunkirk.

To save $$$ we take a white Reanault Express marked as UN.

25 GBP to be allowed is much since we MV owners make the show so large.

A fee to cover water and garbagedisposal and whatever OK, but why so much.

On the other hand for us its our Holiday, still cheaper then the Costa Del Slut......

Hi Enigma,

I don't know if you are aware, there is also a ferry service from Oostende to Ramsgate in Kent, I have used them several times, if you book in advance they can be pretty cheap as well, the crossing will take at least 4 hours but staff is friendly and they have a Bar ;-).

Not sure if i'm alloud to place the link for the ferry service so pm me if you like to know more 8-)

met vriendelijke groet

English Mark :whistle:

Hi Enigma,

I don't know if you are aware, there is also a ferry service from Oostende to Ramsgate in Kent, I have used them several times, if you book in advance they can be pretty cheap as well, the crossing will take at least 4 hours but staff is friendly and they have a Bar ;-).

Not sure if i'm alloud to place the link for the ferry service so pm me if you like to know more 8-)

met vriendelijke groet

English Mark :whistle:

Last year the ferry was 80 EURO, the previous years 120 POUNDS!! (both vice-versa)

The difference between Oostende and Dunkirk isn't that much, the 2 hour extra sailing time is quite a lot.

Last year the ferry was 80 EURO, the previous years 120 POUNDS!! (both vice-versa)

The difference between Oostende and Dunkirk isn't that much, the 2 hour extra sailing time is quite a lot.

Hi mate,

Ok I can see your point, was just trying to give some possible helpfull info, 4 hours at a bar can be fun though hehe, not if you have to drive obiously hehe.

Hopefully we meet at war and peace show as am am planning to come as well, we could even jabber some Dutch, it does not happen that often I can do that to people in the UK hehe.

All the best

Mark

Hi mate,

Ok I can see your point, was just trying to give some possible helpfull info, 4 hours at a bar can be fun though hehe, not if you have to drive obiously hehe.

Hopefully we meet at war and peace show as am am planning to come as well, we could even jabber some Dutch, it does not happen that often I can do that to people in the UK hehe.

All the best

Mark

Its cool you give an alternative!

So your a Dutchman living in the UK.

How long have you been there?

No problem to meet up at Beltring, for us its constant changing of languages anyway.

Alvast een prettig nieuwjaar!

Its cool you give an alternative!

So your a Dutchman living in the UK.

How long have you been there?

No problem to meet up at Beltring, for us its constant changing of languages anyway.

Alvast een prettig nieuwjaar!

Your welcome

Well officially English to be honest, lived in Holland for about 30 years, Hellevoetsluis en Goeree over Flakkee (Nieuwe-Tonge), I went back to the UK about 3 and a half years ago planning to keep it that way, back to the roots i guess hehe.

At the moment I am doing some research about Hellevoetsluis in the 2nd ww, there is Fort Hearlem there, first used by the Dutch army and later when Holland was occopied by the Germans, Hellevoetsluis has some interesting history, in the old days of Napoleon it was a major naval base as well for example there is an old vesting

The Germans had 3 bases for 1 man submarines of the type Bibber class in Holland, one was in the poorthaven Rotterdam, one in Hoek van Holland and Hellevoet, they used to tow them from the Poorthaven to Hellevoetsluis where they where loaded with 2 torpedos to go to the Channel via the Haringvliet to attack ships there, i believe they had 18 of them submarines, there is still stuff in original state in Hoek van Holland open to the public to see, like a museum.

Jij ook alvast de beste wensen en een voorspoedig 2007 :)

grtz

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Are you also a gentleman Sir!!

Good grief man what an impudent question to come from the the ranks! ....Um well actually the answer is no. But I know when I shouldn't have to do labouring, Sir Alec was right, here it is in the Hague Convention 1907

width=640 height=632http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/GenevaCon1.jpg[/img]