Blast from the past.....

ArtistsRifles

Here's another one of the old days.......

width=640 height=491http://www.hmvf.co.uk/gallery/?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3684&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=31d457ccf63eeecf0f5e16596128acba[/img]

A series 3 LightWeight being winched out on a Tirfor - it;s not stuck, the PSI just thought some practice in using the winch would be useful - the location of the vehicle gives you an insight into his sense of humour!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever seen the kinetic rope found on CVR(T) in action?

It was elastic. The idea was to get the recovering vehicle as close to the bogged one as possible then race away. The kinetic rope tensed until it overcame the resistance of the bogged vehicle, which promptly popped out.

That was the theory: never saw it in action cos we were professionals and didn't get bogged. Saw one or two rolled vehicles though.

;o)

It was elastic. The idea was to get the recovering vehicle as close to the bogged one as possible then race away. The kinetic rope tensed until it overcame the resistance of the bogged vehicle, which promptly popped out.

That was the theory: never saw it in action cos we were professionals and didn't get bogged. Saw one or two rolled vehicles though.

;o)

I've seen a kinetic rope in action civvy-wise not on anything as heavy as a CVRT but off road with the landrover club I am a member of.

On their course there is 'the bombhole' and one particularly muddy W/E several guys were getting really bogged down in the sandy mud and one of the members decided it'd be quicker to get them out with a kinetic rope, it was quite spectacular with landrovers... using one on something tracked would be... :schocked:

I wouldn't want to be standing nearby if it gave up the will to stay in one bit. :schocked:

There used to be a famous picture used by the AWDC on the dangers of kinetic recover. It was the result of a Range Rover being recovered by a Champ (I think). Basically, RR stayed put and hitch plus rusty bolts went thhrough windscreen, took out passenger headrest, creased roof and exited via back window :schocked:. Luckily there was no passenger at the time. :shake:

Yes, I have seen it in operation with CVR(T) vehicles. Not elastic in the sense of rubber, it is plaited nylon which when stretched stores up considerable energy. The way to pull out a stuck vehicle is to attach the rope and lay it zig zag in front of the casualty, back up towing vehicle and connect. Take off at a rate of knots and when fully stretched, I think the driver feels this point as it happens, you stop dead and hold the brakes on, the stored energy in the rope then pulls the casualty out. Very impressive.

Mention is made of using one of these ropes on Land Rovers, etc. The amount of energy in a CVR rope is probably to great for safety and I believe the makers, Marlow Ropes, developed a smaller rope for this purpose.

Richard

Info here http://www.marlowropes.com/public/pageManager.cfm?page_id=190

The K.E.R.R works in the following way:

One end of the K.E.R.R is connected to the trapped vehicle and the other to the towing vehicle.

The towing vehicle then accelerates to a maximum speed of 16Mph (26kph) and snatches the rope with its total energy.

The towing vehicle is slowed or halted, its kinetic energy is converted into the potential energy of the stretched rope.

The rope transfers the kinetic energy to the trapped vehicle.

After a slight pause the trapped vehicle rises free.

If the vehicle is not freed by the first attempt the process is repeated.

Once free, continued towing by the K.E.R.R is possible.

Most of the CVRT ropes you see about aren't the kinetic type. I believe they were withdrawn after several accidents - there were several cases of the vehicle being recovered crashing into the recovery vehicle. You can tell the difference by the appearance and feel of the ropes, the kinetic variety are shiny and are smooth and silky to touch.

Chris

Most of the CVRT ropes you see about aren't the kinetic type. I believe they were withdrawn after several accidents - there were several cases of the vehicle being recovered crashing into the recovery vehicle. You can tell the difference by the appearance and feel of the ropes, the kinetic variety are shiny and are smooth and silky to touch.

Chris

That is news to me. Did it happen after 1982 when I left? Like I said, I had never seen it done before, only been taught the principle.

I'm not entirely sure when it happened, but I was told a couple of years ago when I had some spare ropes left over from my Spartan. Typical that I sold them and now need some! You can imagine it would not be nice to be standing in the wrong place and get squashed between 2 CVRTs though!

Chris

That is news to me. Did it happen after 1982 when I left? Like I said, I had never seen it done before, only been taught the principle.

I think Chris is refering to these ropes

http://www.marlowropes.com/public/pageManager.cfm?page_id=191

Tow Ropes

Polyester Tow Ropes

Strong, lightweight and flexible with excellent resistance to UV.

Construction: 8 plait High Tenacity Ployester

Colours: White, Desert Sand or Olive Drab

Terminations: Polyester covered spliced soft eye each end

I vividly remember a demo at a Royal Tournament (but can't recall the year as I went to everyone of them from 1969 until they finished) where the Marines did a set piece recovering a Scorp using a kinetic rope.

I assume the "stuck" vehicle was being held on its brakes while the recovery vehicle (another Scorp) took off at a rate of knots then, just like in the description on the marlow website, it stopped dead and the "stuck" Scorp practically took off when its brakes were let off and the rope recoiled. :schocked:

You have got the correct manufacturer Lee but the listing you show is purely a tow rope not a KERR rope. I have used KERR ropes for many years and the capacity of the rope needs to be matched to the vehicles being used, at one time I owned an ex military KERR rope that had a large enough capacity to be used on MBT'S.

You have got the correct manufacturer Lee but the listing you show is purely a tow rope not a KERR rope. I have used KERR ropes for many years and the capacity of the rope needs to be matched to the vehicles being used, at one time I owned an ex military KERR rope that had a large enough capacity to be used on MBT'S.

If you read Reply #8 thiat link refers to KERR Ropes, the link in Reply #13 was refering to Chris's coment in Reply #10

Most of the CVRT ropes you see about aren't the kinetic type.

Reply #8

Marlow KERR ROPES http://www.marlowropes.com/public/pageManager.cfm?page_id=190

Reply #13

Marlow Std Tow Ropes http://www.marlowropes.com/public/pageManager.cfm?page_id=191

I remember seeing it demonstrated at a show at Southsea about 20 years ago. It was a Hertzer? small tank pulled a MBT several times its size. It was most impressive how the MBT was jolted into movement.

Clive,

I was also there, have photos somewhere, it was a postwar German Schutzenpanzer (powered by a B81), about 14 tons and it pulled a T34 tank.

Richard