Hand signals for directing armour and tracked vehicles

cellstar

Question

Hi, I've noticed there seems to be a great variation in the hand signals people use when directing the movement of armour and or tracked vehicles, to the degree that I don't think I've seen two people use the same set of hand motions :D

What does everyone use?

Cheers,

Ian

When I was in tank transporting many, many summers ago, we used to use basic signals for moving tracked vehicles. Right arm extended to turn right, left arm extended to turn left. When it was lined up with the trailer, we put both our hands in front, almost together, with fingers extended and knuckles pointing skywards. This would indicate to the driver that you wanted him to place his hands in front where you could see them, placing them on the hull in front of him was ideal. This told the marshall/loader that the drivers hands were off the tillers. The loader would then beckon to the driver to come on by extending his arms in the air and waving the tv towards him. The next time the driver put hands on the tillers was to brake. I have seen drivers panic and pull unevenly on the tillers which caused the tv to slew left or right, sometimes with drastic and expensive results! A neutral turn was indicated by putting both your fists together, knuckles facing each other and elbows up and pointing to the left and right. Depending on which arm you fully extended outwards and to the side, indicated to the driver which way you wanted him to turn. Hope this helps.

As we are talking about use of vehicles in preservation, rather than in service, there is no regulation you have to follow. It really doesn't matter a damn what signals are used but it is essential that both driver and guide are using the same system.

The basic commands for manoevering in the arena at Beltring a relatively straightforward, although I wish they would re-set the wing-mirrors afterwards!

I was confused by the marshal signalling to me by patting himself on the head!

Upon asking what this was for? he replied 'take your directions from me'...obvious really!

The basic commands for manoevering in the arena at Beltring a relatively straightforward, although I wish they would re-set the wing-mirrors afterwards!

I've only seen them move the wing mirrors of those that think they know better & take little or no notice of the W&P Marshalls...

I was confused by the marshal signalling to me by patting himself on the head!

Upon asking what this was for? he replied 'take your directions from me'...obvious really!

I think it actually means "come here"

Once one of our crew did this (to someone who should have known better) while we were in the arena and we wanted the ARV because of a broken down Chieftain. Person who was by the ARV came running over on foot. "what do you want" says he, "a hat?"

Well it was 30+ centigrade at the time!

I've only seen them move the wing mirrors of those that think they know better & take little or no notice of the W&P Marshalls...

Surely this couldnt apply to you Jon....!? :)

Come to think of it I have seen at least one other person turn your mirrors in...!

i am reminded by my other half that just becauce i did 22years in the army that a lot of people with army vehicles have never been in the miltary so have not had the training so one should check with the driver and agree first before any movements are carried out as many people have diffrent ideas ,the army method is simple to avoid accidents and is used by all branchs of the arm forces