GMC 352 - What MPG Am I Likely To Get ?

Vulture

A straight forward question for owners of GMC 352 and 353. What is the average mpg you get ? I keep reading different articles and the figure seems to vary between 7 and 15 mpg.

Kind regards to all

Cheers

Vulture

A straight forward question for owners of GMC 352 and 353. What is the average mpg you get ? I keep reading different articles and the figure seems to vary between 7 and 15 mpg.

Kind regards to all

Cheers

Vulture

Anyone getting 15mpg they have either converted to diesel or they are being towed..... mine will do about 10mpg, at the end of the day its how you drive it. Dont thrash it up through the gears and just feather it along on the flat..... but for how often I am out fuel consumption is a low priority........... you should try my Halftrack.!!!!!!! ( 3mpg)

I think you could get up to 15mpg if you used milled front hubs and pulled an axle or two from the rears. Its a common mod for M35a2 owners to improve MPG.

I would plan on 8mpg. I live in the Appalachian mountains and hills kill my MPG... so depending on where I am going I could dip down to 5 or 6.

The engines are such a low compression that they really don't extract as much from the gasoline as they could.

I would think that if you bumped compression up to 8 or so you would see solid mid upper teens. The 270 has lots of hi-perf parts and the block sure can take it.

One big factor often overlooked is the grade of engine oil used. A lighter weight oil will give significant imoprovements in mpg - less resistance to rotation, and higher oil flow gives greater heat flow and therefore better cooling. A friend proved this over many years with cars/trucks/plant.

That said I would consider it better to select the right grade of oil for engine protection and durability over mpg :cool2:

One big factor often overlooked is the grade of engine oil used. A lighter weight oil will give significant imoprovements in mpg - less resistance to rotation, and higher oil flow gives greater heat flow and therefore better cooling. A friend proved this over many years with cars/trucks/plant.

That said I would consider it better to select the right grade of oil for engine protection and durability over mpg :cool2:

What about fitting a higher temp thermostat? Most older vehicles especially military run at extremely low temperatures, presumably to allow for harsh conditions, blocked rads, off roading, towing etc. In normal use I think some benefit and improved thermal efficiency hence higher mpg can be had by fitting a higher temp rated thermostat.

I think you could get up to 15mpg if you used milled front hubs and pulled an axle or two from the rears. Its a common mod for M35a2 owners to improve MPG.

I would plan on 8mpg. I live in the Appalachian mountains and hills kill my MPG... so depending on where I am going I could dip down to 5 or 6.

The engines are such a low compression that they really don't extract as much from the gasoline as they could.

I would think that if you bumped compression up to 8 or so you would see solid mid upper teens. The 270 has lots of hi-perf parts and the block sure can take it.

I dread to say this, it has just popped in to my crazy mind, but with the very low compresion has anyone fitted a turbo to a GMC engine :red: Don't suppose the pistons would last long !! Sorry I wont suggest this again...

You can turbocharge anything... but for the several thousand dollars to make a new header/exhaust, cost of the turbo and an oil line reroute you could simply put hiperf parts in it to bump the compression. Plus you just lost your brakes becuase turbo's don't allow the engine to pull much vacuum.

A higher temp t-stat wouldn't do much. The basic issue is the low compression due to the 70 octane fuel source. Now a days 80-85 is standard and can handle 8 8.5 : 1 compression. Extracting more energy out of the fuel is the key.

The ultimate MPG boot would be an aftermarket TBI injector. No more carb and its inefficiency.

If you wanted to do something cheap in your own garage:

Do a mild port job on the head

increase the compression to 8:1

3 angle valve job

If that doesn't get you over 120hp (up from the stock 90) nothing will. With a more efficient engine you should see about a 20-30% increase in MPG (8 x .3 = 10.4) but you will also have a much more responsive motor and better hill climbing.

Thinner oil kinda works... you get a miniscule improvement.. 1-3% in MPG. So 3% of 8 = .24 mpg improvement 8.24 MPG vs 8.. blow one shift and you just lost that .24 mpg.

General rule is nothing you pour into a motor fixes anything.

Now if your car was getting 35mpg 3% * 35 = 1.05 or 36.05 MPG now you are talking.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys thanks for your thoughts. As far as I can tell, I achieved around 9 to the gallon on the 180 mile journey to get it home.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Edited by Vulture
To adjust formating

more importantly mate , were you smiling when you got out of the truck ?:drive:..........

Totally ! As I pulled up outside the house I just could not stop smiling :) In fact I'm still smiling now :)

I've posted a short narrative of the day and a few photos on my blog. Link

Kind regards

Vulture

Nice Blog write up. Reminds me of bringing my Pinz home for the first time and negotiating the tiny lanes around the lake district in the dark, driving a LHD forward control. A steep learning curve, but great fun.

Wait 'til you drive it down to W&P next year!?! :-D

looks good mate , like usn gray :thumbsup: ........

Not sure I'm going it keep it grey in the long term, but for the moment I'll keep it as it is. More important things like changing the brake hoses (one of which has a bulge in it), and some of the pipework which is a bit corroded need my attention.

It's quite possibly the only grey 352 in the UK unless anyone knows different ? (I've heard of a 353 in Grey) It's quite a good colour for me to get to know the vehicle, ie, the slightest bit of rust, and its v obvious, there is just no disguising it.

Vulture

Nice Blog write up. Reminds me of bringing my Pinz home for the first time and negotiating the tiny lanes around the lake district in the dark, driving a LHD forward control. A steep learning curve, but great fun.

Wait 'til you drive it down to W&P next year!?! :-D

Ohhhhhhh yes, I'm definately planning to be there :)

Vulture