Elf an' Safety Use of Ladders etc

Zero-Five-Two

The first one is actually moderately sensible, the ladder is trapped against the metal railing and can't shift. The second one is batsh1t insane, and it goes steadily downhill from that point. (If that's a portion of the longer photo set currently doing the rounds, the guy cleaning the windows on the 40th floor probably takes the biscuit (not to mention the entire tea service).

The first one is actually moderately sensible, the ladder is trapped against the metal railing and can't shift. The second one is batsh1t insane, and it goes steadily downhill from that point. (If that's a portion of the longer photo set currently doing the rounds, the guy cleaning the windows on the 40th floor probably takes the biscuit (not to mention the entire tea service).

You mean this one?

Elf an' Safety.jpg

• 1 year later...

Lets face it, we've all teetered on the brink on insanity occasionally......it does'nt stop at ladders

• I know its live ....but if I'm quick enough.......
  • That house brick should easily be enough to take the weight.......
  • You hold I'll hit it, just keep your head out of the way........
  • I can slow that shaft down by hand...........
  • I did`nt think the drill bit would bite that quick or the drill have so much torque.........
  • Just flick the starter for me while I feed this belt on.........
  • I thought brakes WERE on....

H

I remember a cracker (not for him) a colleague was cleaning a printing tower down in preparation for changing one colour of ink to another, the top roller fed ink through a duct. It was normal practice to clean the roller on the duct with a cleaning liquid whilst the the printing tower was running obviously you wore gloves and used a rag to clean the roller. With the tower running he caught his hand on a rotating rubber roller which dragged his marigold gloved hand almost into the rollers. Luckily for him he pulled his hand away but not before it took the skin of his palm and I do mean the whole palm of his hand. Not pretty I was the first aider that had to wrap his hand up for trip down to A & E. They fitted more guards to the press after this.

Respect machinery

My most recent 'close call' (8 years ago) was actually with a Ferret......so I think some will find the story quite pertinant.....

A mate a mine bought a Ferret that had stood for about 10 years. It was driven into the place he bought it from under its own steam, parked up & just sat there.

We recovered it with his then toy, a Leyland Martian gun tractor. On getting it back home I joked that "I'll bet it'll start without too much bother". Bet was accepted. We did the usual checks, oil, cleaned the points up, made sure it turned over freely first, had the plugs out, primed the fuel pump for a bit, checked this & that, & decided to plug it into the Martian & give it a brief go.

It cranked, we got oil up to the rockers but the 10 year old fuel was not doing much. This is where I stepped in with an old trick that I've used loads of times in the past without incident. I fed the carb with quick splashes of fresh petrol from an aerosol cap whilst cranking......I won the bet....it coughed a bit & ran for a few seconds each time. Flushed with success I fed it a bit more, this time before it had a chance to stop running. The bugger back fired through the carb, igniting the cup of petrol I was holding in a huge fireball.....the splash covered me from the sholders up in burning petrol. I lost most of my hair, most of the skin on the exposed face & neck & all the skin on the right hand & some of the left.

Fortunately the burns were only superficial thanks to the quick actions of my mate & a blanket. I made a full recovery in a few months. The same day my son wrote off his Beetle so the wife was not best pleased with her men folk that day.

Still ya gotta laugh eh ?

H