P-51 'Big Beautiful Doll' lost in mid-air. Pilots safe.

Jessie The Jeep

Heard not long ago that a Skyraider collided with P-51 'BBD' during the Balbo at Flying Legends today. The P-51 pilot was able to bail out with the aircraft crashing, while the Skyraider was landed with around 4 feet of wing missing.

Skyraider picture ( unknown credit )

http://yfrog.com/klytbrj

P-51 'Big Beautiful Doll'

p51a.jpg

Thankfully a lucky escape for both crew.

That shows what a tough old bird the Spad is!

Glad that both pilots are OK. I was at Duxford when the P38 & at Coventry when the Ryan replica crashed. I don't want people dying for my entertainment.

More photos here.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=110391&page=3

Edited by Pzkpfw-e

Every restored warbird is doomed, it's just a matter of time. The clock starts ticking the moment it leaves the shop. The odds are even worse coupled with the foolishness shown by these aging wannabe fighter pilots who push things too far. Doing stupid loops and low level crap should be banned by the Ministry. Formation flying is just stupid if you are not trained and current. There will be a time when there are no more vintage aircraft. But there will always be an abundance of pilots.

I'm sure the pilots who fly these classic aircraft have many many hours in their log books flying all kinds of aircraft, and are extremely competent at display flying. To actually get a display ticket is'nt easy.

Even the best make mistakes...i.e. Neil Williams. You'd hardly call him amateur.

Every restored warbird is doomed, it's just a matter of time. The clock starts ticking the moment it leaves the shop. The odds are even worse coupled with the foolishness shown by these aging wannabe fighter pilots who push things too far. Doing stupid loops and low level crap should be banned by the Ministry. Formation flying is just stupid if you are not trained and current. There will be a time when there are no more vintage aircraft. But there will always be an abundance of pilots.

Your comments are not in the spirit of the forum, if you can not post sensible comments then don't bother posting.

I'm relieved to see that everyone involved in this accident is ok, shame about the aircraft but peoples lives are more important. I'm sure there will be an investigation and a lot of finger pointing but i'm affraid accidents do happen to the most skilled and experianced. Lets just hope that lessons are learnt from this to make events safer for all involed be it participants or spectators

I'm relieved to see that everyone involved in this accident is ok, shame about the aircraft but peoples lives are more important. I'm sure there will be an investigation and a lot of finger pointing but i'm affraid accidents do happen to the most skilled and experianced. Lets just hope that lessons are learnt from this to make events safer for all involed be it participants or spectators

Spot on!

Its a piece of metal when it comes down to it a life is worth a lot more. Accidents happen it only takes a small error for it to go completely pear shaped and be unrecoverable. Every accident is pored over by the authorities and I would say that its more comprehensive than any land based accident. Luckily the authorities have learned from previous accidents / deaths and now have aircraft displays away from the crowd line.

I'm sure the pilots who fly these classic aircraft have many many hours in their log books flying all kinds of aircraft, and are extremely competent at display flying. To actually get a display ticket is'nt easy.

Even the best make mistakes...i.e. Neil Williams. You'd hardly call him amateur.

or even mark hanna,it can happen to any pilot,split second lapse and at speed its over.prefer to see them flying than in a museum