P-51 'Big Beautiful Doll' lost in mid-air. Pilots safe.

Jessie The Jeep

A great shame indeed. I have been lucky to see the 'Doll in action before and I must admit that there was a tear in the corner of my eye when I heard the news. The most important thing is that no one was hurt or worse still killed.

Just goes to prove the reputation of the Skyraider which was legendary in Vietnam. I once read a book about a pilot and his memoirs in action over the skies of south east asia. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Shows how strong the Skyraider was! It didn't look like it did much to the P51, I wonder if it was uncontrollable or if the pilot just thought bailing was the safest option in the seconds he had to make a choice? Flying legends is a great show, I went every year in the 90s when Mark, Ray and Hoof were star names, it's sad they have gone, but I bet they lived the dream and wouldn't have changed a thing... Apart from the obvious!

The Skyraider wing struck the P-51 just behind the radiator shutter. Right at this location are the pulleys which direct the elevator and rudder control cables upwards from the cockpit floor to the tail. Rob reported that after the impact, he had no pitch control, so it is likely that the impact damaged the mounts for these pulleys and the control cables went slack. The AAIB report will give an accurate account in time.

Shows how strong the Skyraider was! It didn't look like it did much to the P51, I wonder if it was uncontrollable or if the pilot just thought bailing was the safest option in the seconds he had to make a choice? Flying legends is a great show, I went every year in the 90s when Mark, Ray and Hoof were star names, it's sad they have gone, but I bet they lived the dream and wouldn't have changed a thing... Apart from the obvious!

The Spad made it to land with half a wing missing... Tough old bird.