Dorset

34ba37

going to westbay in dorset next week, little holiday.

but have been told by her , who must be obayed .

THE TANK MUSEUM IS OUT OF BOUNDS

(went last year )

so where else is there to go and see all things green and military

i could just bump into as i was passing, you know what i mean.

thanks

going to westbay in dorset next week, little holiday.

but have been told by her , who must be obayed .

THE TANK MUSEUM IS OUT OF BOUNDS

(went last year )

so where else is there to go and see all things green and military

i could just bump into as i was passing, you know what i mean.

thanks

Yes come on guys looking forward to answers to this as im down there in a couple of weeks .

Go down to the tank ranges near Lulworth. You will pass the gate guardian while down there and you may get to see tanks on the ranges. Failing that, suggest a visit to Monkey World, opposite Tank Museum. It is a good place to go and you could always park up in a layby and maybe see some tanks training. Hey, it worked for me!

Tyneham is it's name, it is quite interesting. There is a display in the church and relics in the schoolroom. If you take a walk down to the bay, and come back along the clifftop, there are some range hulks visible.

Other things to do :-

1. In Weymouth, try the Rodwell Trail. You walk past the site of a 40mm Bofors gun. Pick up a leaflet at the Tourist centre at the Pavillion which gives details.

2. Nothe Fort. No vehicles, but worth a visit. Several WW2 exhibits.

3. Portland Museum. They have one of the prototype Bouncing Bombs there.

4. If you walk from Greenhill Gardens to the Pavillion in Weymouth, you walk the same route as the American Rangers who took Pont-Du-Hoc on D-Day, when they went to their Landing craft.

Don't know which direction you will be travelling, but if you are near Andover/Salisbury, try stopping at the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop. Food is good there, you see Aircraft flying and you can visit the museum. I tend to stop there for a cup of tea when passing as you don't have to visit the museum to go in the cafe.

Tyneham is it's name, it is quite interesting. There is a display in the church and relics in the schoolroom. If you take a walk down to the bay, and come back along the clifftop, there are some range hulks visible.

You'd need to verify that Tyneham was open before visiting because it's smack in the middle of the battle run. Well it was in 1977 when they reopened the battle run after however many years and B Sqn 15/19 Hussars were the first people to use it. As OC's driver, we travelled down the run behind every troop in turn with the canvas off the back of the rover and a wodge of high profile guests and Instructors, Gunnery (IGs) standing watching rounds going down.

First troop down (which wasn't necessarily First Troop lol ), Jimmers spotted a field full of mushrooms that hadn't been disturbed for years. He had me leap out (behind the firing Scorpions I hasten to point out) and harvest some for him. They were the size of dinner plates. Trouble was, slung in the back, they were trodden on by the passengers and spoiled.

ISTR the road past Lulworth runs right behind one of the firing points (I vaguely remember in the 90s going down to Lulworth for the day and managing to take this route while Scimitars were firing).

A quick Google search for lulworth ranges firing times found me an MOD website:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/DefenceEstateandEnvironment/AccessRecreation/SouthWest/LulworthRanges.htm

with a telephone number to find out when the ranges were in use. You may be more or less interested in whether the ranges are in use or not depending on what you tell your Zero Alpha on the Domestic Command Net.

You could promise her a ride on the train to Portsmouth, as there is a nice purpose built shopping outlet at gunwarf quay (old HMS VERNON for you history buffs). Then you could pop along to the Submarine museum.

Or similar vein, southampton, she may go to ikea and you could go to the Solent aviation museum. Supermarine etc. Jeffrey Quill collection.

Or Bieulieu motor car museum, and then Bucklers Hard for lunch at the pub, and a visit to the museum there. Bucklers hard is where Nelson's favourite ship the HMS AGAMEMNON was built.

Sorry to say, but i would think twice about the Bournemouth aviation museum, it will take five minutes.

We visited Tyneham yesterday on a road run from Hamans Cross via Corfe Castle and the Range Road. Well worth a visit £2 sugested donation for the car park (plenty of space) Public Toilets and a good view of the Ranges above you.

The picture is taken by myself out the back of a Landrover 109FFR whilst passing Corfe Castle.

118TH.CORFE.jpg

You could promise her a ride on the train to Portsmouth, as there is a nice purpose built shopping outlet at gunwarf quay (old HMS VERNON for you history buffs). Then you could pop along to the Submarine museum.

Or similar vein, southampton, she may go to ikea and you could go to the Solent aviation museum. Supermarine etc. Jeffrey Quill collection.

Or Bieulieu motor car museum, and then Bucklers Hard for lunch at the pub, and a visit to the museum there. Bucklers hard is where Nelson's favourite ship the HMS AGAMEMNON was built.

Sorry to say, but i would think twice about the Bournemouth aviation museum, it will take five minutes.

Although good value at £4 for Adults, panoramic view of the Airport from the Viewing Bus.

Also as a Museum run completely by Volunteers your money is much needed in the continuing growth and will help to get the Phantom F4 that will hopefully be on its way soon.

A friendly place for all the Family! We have worked hard to get it to its new home after the Airport kicked us out and run events throughout the year including (Saturday 1st October Military Vehicle Day).

Edited by 118thsignalsregiment