Vehicle Insurance at an Event

Hi,

This summer I wanted to raise a bit of money for Help for Heroes. My plan was to bring my DUKW to a show I've been invited to and give kids rides in the back around the field. This unfortunately raises insurance proplems my brokers told me).

1). If a kid trips on the bangs their head ( if I'm showing the vehicle while it's static) my road insurance won't cover me (they said).

2). I can carry kids for free as the field temporarily comes under the Highways act (they said) for the duration of the show BUT if I charge people it is for 'Hire & reward' and the personal, social & domestic insurnce won't cover it. (I daren't even think about driving licence classes).

I've rang around insurance companies and nobody would touch it.

Does anyone have any ideas who would cover the vehicle?

Thanks

Don

Hi,

This summer I wanted to raise a bit of money for Help for Heroes. My plan was to bring my DUKW to a show I've been invited to and give kids rides in the back around the field. This unfortunately raises insurance proplems my brokers told me).

1). If a kid trips on the bangs their head ( if I'm showing the vehicle while it's static) my road insurance won't cover me (they said).

2). I can carry kids for free as the field temporarily comes under the Highways act (they said) for the duration of the show BUT if I charge people it is for 'Hire & reward' and the personal, social & domestic insurnce won't cover it. (I daren't even think about driving licence classes).

Thanks

Don

Don't charge anything - just have two large friends with collection buckets giving the riders VERY meaningful looks on exit!! :D:D

very dodgy area i totally gave up after my first show of letting people inside the ferret let one kid inside and u suddenly turn into the pied piper !public liability insurance is the issue, oh plus a certain child slamming a ferret side hatch on the tips of my fingers !

Hi,

Thanks

Don

I can't comment on injuries.

Even if you had a disclaimer notice would it be legal, maybe ask a solicitor if you have any contacts.

As to rides never charge just ask for a donation.

Again I can't comment if any legal implications nor recall exact wording but I have seen several suggesting a minimum amount.

I think that even though you are off road at a show you'll need correct child seats with seat belts as they are classed as minor's so the driver is the responsible person.

Gone are the good day's of paying a pound and driving a traction engine & the like, generally road law's are the same as if you were on the road as you are at a public event.

Not trying to be a kill joy, but i'd forget it.

As above, don't want to spoil the fun but I was in the same situation as you. I was planning to take the 432 to a local event to give rides to help raise money for charity..

Didn't take very long talking to people/researching/asking insurance companies to realise it is very dodgy ground. You have to remember that most of the public are idiots, add to that excited/hyper kids etc... well it was enough to put me off.

I'm not saying that anything would happen, but you have to remember in this day and age there's no such thing as an 'accident' anymore, someone will be to blame and I personally would not want to be in that position.

Been put off giving kids rides by all the dangers, not to the kids but by the danger to my prosperity.

Solicitors advice was that a signing disclaimer can be useful as some people think they have no rights after that, and may not take a small indecent further. Until someone tells them different and you get a claim from their NWNF solicitor, little Tommy has a bruise on his leg and his designer shoes are scuffed beyond repair, you will soon find out that it is not worth the paper it is written on.

It is a fact that in hard times insurance claims of this type increase dramatically, wonder why?

Bloody shame I think, what could be better than "This is my really bestest ride ever, even better than a JCB fast track!"

A few years ago someone I know took their Ferret to a British legion remememberance event, he allowed some kids to climb on it and get inside, one of them managed to shut his finger in a hatch, the injury required hospital attention, the parents then wanted his insurance details to claim compensation for time lost for subseqent treatment for their son, he passed the claim back to the British legion as it was their event, it all got a bit awkward, just goes to show how you can become liable, .. never let the public on or in your vehicle !

Edited by Nick Johns

An interesting and valid question.

It is quite a regular occurence to have invitation stearing at steam shows, and I participate with my steam tractor.

I understand that if the organiser asks you to do this sort of thing for them, as part of the show, then liability lies with them. There is no way out for them on this issue.

If you choose to do it off your own back then the liability lies with you. Again no way 'out'

I regularly carry passengers on what is basically a 4 wheel drawbar trailer (with sides). I last did it about a month ago giving rides at my daughters 2nd birthday party. Provided I do not do it for hire and reward my insurers tell me that I am covered, I specifically asked the question.

I think that even though you are off road at a show you'll need correct child seats with seat belts as they are classed as minor's so the driver is the responsible person.

He is right to comply with the law you can only carry children over 3 who are sitting in the rear seats and must wear the seat restraints/belts that are correctly fitted in the vehicle.

As this is a DUKW I am assuming you have seats and as it is older than when rear seat belts had to be fitted, you don't need them.

"You can't carry any children under three years old in vehicles without seatbelts, like classic cars. If you're travelling with children over three years old, they must only sit in the back seats."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/roadsafetyadvice/DG_4022064

Mike

Cheers for the post on seat belts Mike.

I am aware of a few Land Rover owners being stopped in Essex with children on rear bench seats.

I've been told it's not allowed as they have to be correctly restrained :shocked:

Cheers for the post on seat belts Mike.

I am aware of a few Land Rover owners being stopped in Essex with children on rear bench seats.

I've been told it's not allowed as they have to be correctly restrained :shocked:

It depends on how old the randy lover is.

Basically if it has seat belts then they must, if it doesn't they don't (unless they are less than 3, when they must).

Side facing seats are troublesome. Car seats must be type approved, that is tested and used in accordance with the type approval. You try and find a car seat with side facing type approval!

That's very interesting, so if the child is over 3 years old and the vehicle has no seat belts in the back and they are purpose made original bench seating then the child is legally allowed to ride in the back.

Thats what the Governments website says. They can sit in the back but not the front.

Don't know what happens if you have a child over 3, a vehicle without seatbelts but no back seats.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Apparently your regular road insurance won't cover kids clambering on the outside of a vehicle. Only when in it.

I guess we could sell stickers for donations. If you have a sticker you get a free ride... If you don't we name & shame... lol

The killjoys have really ruined it. You can't even do a nice thing without getting in trouble....

Thanks again...

Don