Not so good news

ArtistsRifles

Folks,

I'll apologise here in advance to those I may meet through out the coming year - I got some potential bum news today from the MO. As most know I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year ago and was supposed to have had my eyes examined in depth. However it turned out the NHS were the equals of our two favourite Gov't agencies at losing paper work and they have only just been done. End result is they find my left eye is showing signs of irreparable damage from the diabetes and I now have to wait a year before they can be examined again to determine whether is is a stable or a deteriorating condition...

So for the forthcoming year I'm gonna have a lot on my mind. Sorry about this!!!!

Neil, What can one say Mate? There is nothing I can say that will make you feel better or change your sad predicament at this present time! Im SO sorry, I have had elder members in my Family with 'Optical Difficulties', so I can empathise with you.

The ONLY thing I know that is a crumb of comfort is. That you DO have friends here on the Forum & also at Shows. At shows, I am convinced there will be any help & assistance that you MAY need at forth comming shows! Keep your chin up Mate, it's easy to say. BUT, dwelling on the problem is not going to help, think as positive as you can. Easy to say I know. But it DOES help. A Good outlook & attitude is infectious & People warm to others like that! Keep us all upto speed Bud!

Cheers, Regards: Mike ;)

Thanks all! I am - needless to say - hoping it wil be a dormant thing as in whats done is done and will get no worse now they actually know its there.... :-D

The not knowing for sure yet is the hard part.....

What really pee'd me off was for a nearly year I've been nagging the GP surgery about this and being told "Oh the forms went in - they'll contact you when they are ready". Finally got the surgery to chase it up and found out the hard way the group responsible for the tests had lost all record of me - assuming it ever reached them... Once they had the forms it was done within 3 weeks though... :-D

Sorry to hear about your news artist. Do you have to wait a year because of the NHS or because of the testing levels. Whatever, i would go private.

Or go to India and get them to have a look. We were just about to ship my father out there for his eyes, but he had them done really quickly when he moved to spain.

A while ago i was in Sri Lanka. I have a recurring problem with my back. I went to a hospital in Coloumbo and for my £15.00 registration and consultancy fee, i saw the Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon within half an hour. He had done his training in Portsmouth. Excellent advice, and rolled his eyes when talking about NHS.

Don't think India is the third world anymore when dealing with NHS.

:mad:Dave

I have to say that it's not appropriate to hijack a thread which is really there to express solidarity with a dear friend who is in need of support. The NHS has its problems most have been caused by those b*****d politicans that we don't talk about on the forum and people miss using the service.

As to abroad is better -how come the NHS has to put right errors made when UK citizens go on medical tourism trips to Europe, RSA and the Indian sub continent.

Medical treatment in India/Pakistan (kashmir) is so good:shocked: that a friend of mine has had to send out a British (Kashmiri) doctor at considerable family expense to ensure his uncle gets adequate treatment (including the almost mandatory 10,000 Rupie bribes which has to start most conversations) and this is a upper middle class family I'm not talking about lower cast or tribal groups who get no treatment except what is provided by foreign charities.

For eye surgery India relies massively on western mainly on British, Canadian and US charities -both finacially and staffing with mainly western trained surgeons and nursing specialities -allbeit that many are 2nd and 3rd generation sub continent immigrants. The same applies to facial reconstructive surgery -hence the incessant chugging esp. during the Xmas period for (just) £150 to reconstruct hair lip disfigurements in children.

As for Shi-Lanka try getting treatment if you're Tamill.:angry

Sorry for hijacking the post Neil I sincerely hope your eye -diabetic problems don't get any worse -deterioration of eye sight is very depressing and frightening.

Steve

:mad:Dave

I have to say that it's not appropriate to hijack a thread which is really there to express solidarity with a dear friend who is in need of support. The NHS has its problems most have been caused by those b*****d politicans that we don't talk about on the forum and people miss using the service.

As to abroad is better -how come the NHS has to put right errors made when UK citizens go on medical tourism trips to Europe, RSA and the Indian sub continent.

Medical treatment in India/Pakistan (kashmir) is so good:shocked: that a friend of mine has had to send out a British (Kashmiri) doctor at considerable family expense to ensure his uncle gets adequate treatment (including the almost mandatory 10,000 Rupie bribes which has to start most conversations) and this is a upper middle class family I'm not talking about lower cast or tribal groups who get no treatment except what is provided by foreign charities.

For eye surgery India relies massively on western mainly on British, Canadian and US charities -both finacially and staffing with mainly western trained surgeons and nursing specialities -allbeit that many are 2nd and 3rd generation sub continent immigrants. The same applies to facial reconstructive surgery -hence the incessant chugging esp. during the Xmas period for (just) £150 to reconstruct hair lip disfigurements in children.

As for Shi-Lanka try getting treatment if you're Tamill.:angry

Sorry for hijacking the post Neil I sincerely hope your eye -diabetic problems don't get any worse -deterioration of eye sight is very depressing and frightening.

Steve

:rolleyes: