Where are the French?

Adam Elsdon

I was looking up info for a Panhard VBL, the French army were racing around Sarajevo in them, and it made me think, there doesnt seem to be a French vehicle section on here, which is a surprise, given the amount of Hotchkiss Jeeps :cool2:.

No seriously though, they have some pretty epic kit, look at the wreckers, and trucks etc, you could even say it was with the Foreign Legion instead of the US Airborne!

So who owns French vehicles?

sumb 1977.jpg

berliet TBO 15 P 6X6.jpg

panhard-vbl-01.jpg

french jeep.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you think about it, quite a few people talk about "honouring the veterans" as one of the reasons they display their kit the way they do. Is displaying a Hotchkiss mocked up as American dishonouring those that used them in service?

Hi

I have also noted the lack of a French vehicle section here - I am a Simca Marmon owner as in the first picture (the original V8 petrol version fitted for radio) and have most of the French language original documentation but would like to share experience of technical and MOT/licensing issues with other owners. See

http://www.g0ozs.org/marmon/2010-11/index.html

I'm hoping to end up with a radio configuration similar to the QR-MH-14 VHF link station (similar in concept to BAOR BRUIN stations in Bedford RL trucks at the time) pictured at

http://materiels.trans.free.fr/FH/QRMH8-1.htm

although the radios will be modern Amateur 2m/70cm VHF/UHF and Clansman HF, and the mast Clark rather than the originals which would not be compatible with much in use today. The present antenna fit with four stub masts is more like the original 1965 fit with VRC9 and VRC18 family radios of USA origin.

Does anyone have a decent photo of the pioneer tools fitted on the left side between the wheels of the SUMB ? - I am trying to figure out what I need to buy and how it was attached at present.

Regards

Iain

There you go, more of a reason for a French vehicle section, must be other stuff out there like armoured stuff thats a bit of a bugger to get bits for........

Yes and if all goes well may well have two more before long....am after a wrecker version and a cargo truck, latter in hand, former still awaiting detection...

may also buy another KBT but depends on many issues..want pre 60 ones not later...

Yes and if all goes well may well have two more before long....am after a wrecker version and a cargo truck, latter in hand, former still awaiting detection...

may also buy another KBT but depends on many issues..want pre 60 ones not later...

Do you have any sources of French parts who might be able to help with parts for a GBC? I have spoken to numerous French dealers and supposed contacts but no one seems to be able to help. Someone must be sitting on these spares over there? All we need is an engine gasket set and foot valve.

- MG

Hiya

I run the FARG group (always interested in new members!) We have a few french vehicles, quite a bit of kit and some weapons.. only dropped once...

I run the Willyshotchkissjeeps.com website with some blogs on the vehicles in the diary pages. If you want real indepth data and info on french vehicles I must pass to a friend of mine Andy; The all knowing sage of all things French army (vehicles - I am usually good on the kit..) He runs M201.com

M201.com is an excellent site if you are a hotchkiss jeeps owner. There is a good Hotchkiss register on there and a growing Delahaye VLRD one as well.

It would be good to launch a few French pages as there is much I could add as have had a few Hotchkiss, Delahayes, Sumbs and some armour.. and some interesting stories along the way...

There are a few weird rules and regulations in France (basically fear of another revolution!) so its difficult to get hold of military kit - especially if its seen as a threat to French security.. you try buying a tank over there! They have relaxed recently (last 10 years) now they realise there is so much money to be made from collectors - they may even repent putting all their WW2 armour on the ranges!!!

If anyone has a request let me know as have a few contacts in france (and spain) who may be able to help..

PS I have NEVER put a star on a french jeep!! I've taken a few off though.... I'm currently putting a command car back to correct French Livery!

• 3 weeks later...

Not strictly military but of interest to some no doubt is this little Berliet fire appliance which I saw whilst strolling along the Seine in Paris. It provides cover for the " Bateaux Mouches" which ply their trade taking tourists up and down the City. Were there similar military versions-either Fire appliances or general service variants as I know nothing about them?

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Hi,

Think this is an FF Berliet if my memory serves me right and I think the French Air force or the Navy had some in green.

However, this vehicle is originally from the Haut-Saone fire service in dept 70 (see plate) which is near the German/Swiss border around the Vesoul area and was probably bought directly from the auction of J.C.Picot's vintage fire appliance collection which happened about three years ago(see writing on windscreen)or alternatively,from Bekes

Beke's dismantling yard in Paris had a load of these, but they probably ended up as Chinese bridges as the yard was cleared last year.

Mike.