RIP Major Dick Winters

ian2b

Dick Winters only ever returned to Aldbourne once after the end of WWII and that was when my brother Neil invited Dick, Carwood Lipton, Don Malarky and Dr. Stephen Ambrose back to the village on Saturday June 29th 1991, before Ambrose had written the book Band of Brothers and long long before Spielburg and Hanks had made them household names.

Dick took the time to find the graves of the Barnes family whom he lived with above the village store, for the duration of his time in England during WWII in Aldbourne C of E parish church. The men also visited the village fete on the Green and toured the (then) sole remaining stable block at Hightown House, where the 506th had been billeted in 1943/44. The three men were loaded aboard local Wiltshire Area MVT member Colin Spencer's Willys MB for a tour of the village and a journey up to the rolling downlands, so that they could see the village nestled in the valley, which brought back many memories for the three Easy Company Veterans. Their visit was brief but without the intervention of Neil, they would never have made it back at all, although Don Malarky did make another subsequent return visit in more recent years.

On a subsequent visit to the US, Neil also visited Dick at his Hershey, Pennsylvania, Farm House (that he promised to himself if he ever survived the horrors of combat) and kept in touch for many years until old age and the reality of his unexpected fame late in life caught up with him.

He was a very unassuming individual and without question one of 'The Greatest Generation'

Edited by M5Clive

Hi Joris

The below youtube link should tell you more (and anyone else) who may be interested in Dick Winter's only Post War return to Aldbourne, Wiltshire - The wartime home of the 506th PIR including Easy Company.

Clive

May he rest in peace,

as said he was a real genuine guy, and to so many a hero.

In the series "band of brothers" when they spoke to him, and he told the story about his grandson,

"grandpa, are you a hero"

"no grandpa is'nt, but he served with a company of hero's".

As he tells this he is obviously choked up, and sad, it just shows what an honourable man he is, ( and it always choke's me to watch that) like so many my grandfather also fought in normandy, and he was my hero.

Unfortunately, the veterans that fought for our freedom, are slowly becoming the few, lets just hope that future generations continue tomstudy and learn what they all did for us, and why, and give them there respect.

R.i.p. Major winters