reme conqueror

landyandy

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

we set about moving the workshop today as the collection is being set out in the order of date in service of vehicles as they entered service with the reme.we moved the 40 ft container with the contractor in a straight line,the fodens crane to lift it around corners and ocasional help from the militant,we will now have our own dedicated workshop area to use and we hope to restore more rare vehicles as time allows

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

I remember spending many a sports afternoon in that hanger with Roger back in 1994. Day dreaming about what to own first :cool2:

When ever I'm on course I cant help but drop in and have a nosey, even though I have seen most of the vehicles before I can spend hours just looking.

Do you know what the plans are for the collection if/when the school moves out?

Lee

Edited by bodgit0_0
Spacing

And I spent some time in there in 1972 when it was just an MT shed (where we parked up overnight while doing driver training) (TK & Mk3 Militant wrecker for me).....there was also a Ferret standing in there bound for the Slab as a recovery job casualty.....which I carefully lifted bits off over a period of several days.....anything that looked like it might fit a Champ in fact....my Champ.:cool2:

H

I remember spending many a sports afternoon in that hanger with Roger back in 1994. Day dreaming about what to own first :cool2:

When ever I'm on course I cant help but drop in and have a nosey, even though I have seen most of the vehicles before I can spend hours just looking.

Lee

its still not certain whats happening as the numbers crunchers have suddenly figured its going to cost more to move every thing than will be saved so for now life will go on and finaly we are getting some funding to restore some vehicles

Edited by landyandy

Recymech,

"you are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to so, but anything you do say, may be taken down in writing and used in evidence against you, your nicked"

R

there is a big

wheeled ferret there now that gets less and less as time go,s by

• 2 weeks later...

Lee

My moles in SEME and security have been told that the move to Lyneham has been put off until at least 2020 and maybe not at all, though this has not been announced in the local rag yet .

"there is a big wheeled ferret there now that gets less and less as time go,s by"

Thats nothing to do with me, honest guv'na.

Anyway, cannibalising one vehicle to keep another running is in the tradition of both REME & MV collectors alike, is it not? & as a tax payer I felt I already owned the few Ferret bits that I rescued. :whistle:

H

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the position we are in now with the conq is as follows,development phase for the electronic fuel injection and ignition is over ,all the faults have been ironed out so all has been stripped off the engine to be rebuilt in a tidy and logical fashion,new wiring looms and injectors fixed in the manifolds securely,also have fitted modern high temp spark plugs and what a difference that has made as the original ones fouled up to easily,not a very inspiring job taking them out for cleaning and also new engine control box in a more accessible place with better cooling.the winch is out as is the j60 power pack to finish off the lubrication system on the winch and do a bench run,the j60 will be fitted with a 90 amp generator to power the electrical systems whilst performing winching duties,a 24v hydraulic power pack to be fitted for raising and lowering the spade as the old system is over complicated and leaks from every joint. The girder trailer is finished to transport it for a few selected shows next year

happy new year to you all

016.jpg

024.jpg

027.jpg

a couple of vids from saturday,first one was a cock up as chains were too long and roof to low so back in and shorten the chains,what would we do without the good old foden

Something went wrong...

Something went wrong...

Edited by Marmite!!
Youtube tags added

a bit of video from the other sunday when i took the conq out for a drive

Good to hear it running well on the bit of youtube footage.

the position we are in now with the conq is as follows,development phase for the electronic fuel injection and ignition is over ,all the faults have been ironed out so all has been stripped off the engine to be rebuilt in a tidy and logical fashion,new wiring looms and injectors fixed in the manifolds securely,also have fitted modern high temp spark plugs and what a difference that has made as the original ones fouled up to easily,not a very inspiring job taking them out for cleaning and also new engine control box in a more accessible place with better cooling.the winch is out as is the j60 power pack to finish off the lubrication system on the winch and do a bench run,the j60 will be fitted with a 90 amp generator to power the electrical systems whilst performing winching duties,a 24v hydraulic power pack to be fitted for raising and lowering the spade as the old system is over complicated and leaks from every joint. The girder trailer is finished to transport it for a few selected shows next year

happy new year to you all

Sounds like you guys have it all sorted to bring the beasty into the 21st century, glad to hear about the girder trailer to...

Good to hear it running well on the bit of youtube footage.

Sounds like you guys have it all sorted to bring the beasty into the 21st century, glad to hear about the girder trailer to...

if you can get the gate way widened at overlord it will be

• 2 weeks later...

LONGGGGG time ago, I had the honour to drive the one at Duxford ( about 1988) great experience an amazing vehicle to drive little different from a Dingo. Slow compare to a Dingo but considering its weight an amazing max speed for it age.

In those days with no kids or wife, I could afford to spend a week a year at Duxford Looking after a Dingo they had.

Peter

http://www.milmarket.org

Edited by monty2