reme conqueror

landyandy

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the conq didn,t make it out again but took the cent out instead,but that almost didn,t go as got it started up sat afternoon and found the clutch was stuck,but after a bit of prying with screwdriver and bang with hammer it freed itself so out she went and took the contractor with us,i will load videos up on utube especialy for recymech to see in due course i expect there is some on utube already as loads of people videod it.as for problems on conq we have it figuered out we need to run 2 megasuirts as load on 1 is to much with 24 injectors

the conq didn,t make it out again but took the cent out instead,but that almost didn,t go as got it started up sat afternoon and found the clutch was stuck,but after a bit of prying with screwdriver and bang with hammer it freed itself so out she went and took the contractor with us,i will load videos up on utube especialy for recymech to see in due course i expect there is some on utube already as loads of people videod it.as for problems on conq we have it figuered out we need to run 2 megasuirts as load on 1 is to much with 24 injectors

ps robin they are longer this time !!!!!!

The weather was absolutely stonking up there today and even with factor 50 on I still burnt! But we had a lot of fun, sad not to see the conqueror but glad to see that you may have the issue sorted. I also got some video of the cent going round (that was me stood in front of one of the tank wrecks-with infamous hat-and youngest cubelet), well I say got some, I was so excited to have come across it that as it went past I accidently turned my phone off instead!!!!! So by the time I got the bloomin phone on the cent had pretty much gone past! :red::red::red::red:

After our chat on top of the Cent at Slab the other day regarding the problems you are having running two injectors per port off one mega squirt got me thinking and I know of someone who has done this on a Mk IVb a few years ago, what I will do is e mail him and have a chat and if it of help I can pm you his e mail address to see if he can offer any advice for you.

Just after arrival.

Just before going home.

IMG_5132r (600 x 450).jpg

Edited by R Cubed
added youtube links and spelling

Ahhhhhh, cheers Andy. I was away with the fairies there for a minute or two:D:D

Driver in the 2nd vid needs to sit closer to the clutch pedal & learn to stick change. Just kidding I know you said the clutch was playing up a bit on the day.

Given her years...is she a bit delicate these days or will she still stand up to some thrash & abuse?

Cracking stuff, ta......H

Ahhhhhh, cheers Andy. I was away with the fairies there for a minute or two:D:D

Driver in the 2nd vid needs to sit closer to the clutch pedal & learn to stick change. Just kidding I know you said the clutch was playing up a bit on the day.

Given her years...is she a bit delicate these days or will she still stand up to some thrash & abuse?

Cracking stuff, ta......H

she,s ok got a new clutch pack to put in her as that ones soaked in oil and gear linkage needs a bit of ajustment but other wise she,s sound as a pound

Hi Andy, now, I have spoken to a friend of mine about your mega squirt problems and he has listed loads of potential errors which you may have stepped into, if you can PM me a phone number and the best time to give you a ring I can tell you all about the suggestions he has made... Might cost you some time in redesigning some parts and a new ECU with associated parts....but will work, the system he is using he has covered several thousand miles with no problems.

Best to chat on phone.

Ah, yes. Most excellent !!. Enjoyed that a lot, thanks. A nice steady tootle round the common. This is why I asked if she was a bit tender in her old age as everyone seems to drive her quite slowly & with minimum revs & gearchanges.

My instructor (1972) insisted I keep the Cent on the peak of the power curve all the time even when not towing. In other words, drive pretty much flat out everywhere & change gear often. As a result I remember being up & down the box like a jack rabbit watching the rev counter & listening for the guvenors. After a while you could just drive naturally enthusiastically by judging the vibrations going up your bum from the seat.

(Mind you petrol was cheaper in 1972 & it was a bigger firm than it is today.)

Once you'd got the hang of the stick change, & providing you kept everything properly adjusted it was actually great fun...but knackering after a bit.:nut:

Once had a race round Soltau, my ARV & a Cent AVLB from 35 Eng Regt. He won I'm sorry to say. My excuse was his bridge weighed less than my spade.:blush:

Any other ex-Cent drivers on the forum?

Cheers Andy.....H

Ah, yes. Most excellent !!. Enjoyed that a lot, thanks. A nice steady tootle round the common. This is why I asked if she was a bit tender in her old age as everyone seems to drive her quite slowly & with minimum revs & gearchanges.

My instructor (1972) insisted I keep the Cent on the peak of the power curve all the time even when not towing. In other words, drive pretty much flat out everywhere & change gear often. As a result I remember being up & down the box like a jack rabbit watching the rev counter & listening for the guvenors. After a while you could just drive naturally enthusiastically by judging the vibrations going up your bum from the seat.

(Mind you petrol was cheaper in 1972 & it was a bigger firm than it is today.)

Once you'd got the hang of the stick change, & providing you kept everything properly adjusted it was actually great fun...but knackering after a bit.:nut:

Once had a race round Soltau, my ARV & a Cent AVLB from 35 Eng Regt. He won I'm sorry to say. My excuse was his bridge weighed less than my spade.:blush:

Any other ex-Cent drivers on the forum?

Cheers Andy.....H

price of fuel makes us very light on the right foot,that and if it breaks we have to fix it glad you enjoyed

Quote;-price of fuel makes us very light on the right foot,that and if it breaks we have to fix it glad you enjoyed

Valid. I can't argue with either of those points Andy. I certainly would not want to pay the Cents fuel bill let alone the Conq...which I'll bet is a bit thirstier still ? Only ever changed the plugs on my Cent once, & that was once too often. They're not built with the poor bloody A mech in mind eh?

Very much enjoyed the trip round the slab though, thanks again.

H

Quote;-price of fuel makes us very light on the right foot,that and if it breaks we have to fix it glad you enjoyed

Valid. I can't argue with either of those points Andy. I certainly would not want to pay the Cents fuel bill let alone the Conq...which I'll bet is a bit thirstier still ? Only ever changed the plugs on my Cent once, & that was once too often. They're not built with the poor bloody A mech in mind eh?

Very much enjoyed the trip round the slab though, thanks again.

H

our cent has no fuel tanks in back only front one so we can get to the plugs and mags a bit easier

Ah, that's a clever move !.

I once poured 8 jerry cans of petrol into my hull on a night time replen. I assumed I was putting into the front tank via one of those fold out briefcase fuel hoppers. The hopper had other ideas though.

Drove that night with petrol sloshing around my feet....highly dodgy ! (& smelly)

H

Ah, that's a clever move !.

I once poured 8 jerry cans of petrol into my hull on a night time replen. I assumed I was putting into the front tank via one of those fold out briefcase fuel hoppers. The hopper had other ideas though.

Drove that night with petrol sloshing around my feet....highly dodgy ! (& smelly)

H

At least you could fill your lighter convieniently!..........:D

F/fixer...I could tell you a funny story about a certain recy mech that once caught fire & was quite badly burned. Trouble is it was'nt so funny at the time.

Mind you I was feeding a Ferret with petrol down the throat of the carb from a plastic cup at the time. It coughed & backfired through the carb & I got the resulting fireball.

Looking back on it I was lucky the fuel in Cent hull never went up too.

Live & learn.

H

F/fixer...I could tell you a funny story about a certain recy mech that once caught fire & was quite badly burned. Trouble is it was'nt so funny at the time.

Mind you I was feeding a Ferret with petrol down the throat of the carb from a plastic cup at the time. It coughed & backfired through the carb & I got the resulting fireball.

Looking back on it I was lucky the fuel in Cent hull never went up too.

Live & learn.

H

we do that with the cent after it has sat a while,learnt to stand well clear of the backfire

The Cent I had for a month in Canada used to start great from cold, but would burst into flames on a hot start. We did the last 2 weeks of the scheme with the decks part open & my gun fitter standing over the engine with a BCF bottle...got through quite a few of those.

It later transpired that the metal float chamber overflow pipe on one carb was broken at the carb & this would leak petrol into the hot V during starting instead of sending the excess fuel down into the hull.

This particular Cent seemed to have no guvenors either, it was a proper racer but you could not rely on engine braking while towing....a bad thing consider its poor brakes.

On return to Batus an A Mech did a magneto drop test on both mags at once & destroyed the engine so I was told. I was told when it went bang he came out of the winch house like a guided missile. I was in hospital at the time so I did`nt get to see that.

Happy days....H