New Ferret owner questions

Rick W

Took off dizzy cap, to check points, rotor etc. A bit carboned up so cleaned with a bit of contact cleaner, Replaced cap and now no spark. Engine cranks but doent even try to turn over, no spark at plugs. I didnt take off leads or remove rotor. Could it be one of the leads broken internally?

Took off dizzy cap, to check points, rotor etc. A bit carboned up so cleaned with a bit of contact cleaner, Replaced cap and now no spark. Engine cranks but doent even try to turn over, no spark at plugs. I didnt take off leads or remove rotor. Could it be one of the leads broken internally?

Rick,

As it was running beforehand ( I assume), then I guess the fault is in the contacts. Did you remove them to clean? If so, then probably misplaced the fibre washer and power going to earth. Or you may have a speck of dirt / grit on contact face.

Slightly confused by you saying the "engine cranks but does not even try to turn over", surely if it cranks then it is turning over?

Edited by Richard Farrant

The engine turns over on the battery but doesn't try to fire up. I didnt remove the contacts, gave them a squirt of contact cleaner and passed some fine wet and dry between them once.

OK ,could be some grit between them, try passing a clean piece of paper through them a few times, then with the ignition on, flick the points to see if they spark.

Hi,

sorry, I have been without internet for a few days so did not see the post.

The points do seem to carbon up quite quickly, and running some fine wet and dry between the contacts always sorted it out for me (its does splutter a lot when they are dirty, especially when you press the accelarator. All the leads are fairly new, including the one to the coil.

Other thing to note is there is a fair bit of drag on the choke cable, so when you push the choke in, also push the choke arm on the carb to make sure its fully home...that said it rarely needs choke, just some throttle (and leaving the idle high while it warms up). Its easier to unscrew the hand throttle control if you press the throttle while doing it).

When I got the ferret it had a cobbled together fuel filter and hoses. As I could not get the proper pipes from the fuel filter, I used some pretty heavy duty fuel hose. The fuel tap is connected so that the top of the tap points to the side where the fuel is being drawn...if that makes sense.

With regards it not firing....now I have done this a couple of times myself...you have put the rotor arm back in? :)

I have packaged up a bunch of stuff and hope to get it off to you this week, and includes some manuals.

Mick

Edited by MiketheBike

Thanks Mike. Drove it back from work to home, a hairy journey to say the least!Sussed out the carb, I'll be investing in a new choke and starter cable after xmas, unless Santa brings me one! Along with an electronic ignition kit. Hopefully that should sort out my misfire. Took the tueet of with the aid of a forklift to get it into the garage at home. Has the good tyre on the side got a puncture ? Just wondered why the u/s tyre was on it?

I like it, I have armour. An ambition done!

its seems all ferret enrichment modules! need reseting on carb mines does to make sure fully off ,to get punctures fixed will be about 30-50 quid ,unless u do it yourself, innner tube about 12 quid,electronic ignition if installed properly will maybe be better than stnd but correctly set up points should not really give:nut: to many probs. rick post some pics of new toy!!

Rick,

the spare actually has a brand new tube, no puncture. I had that as spare as the tyres that its running on are the best match (with regards diameter).

You should be fine with the choke and hand throttle cables, as long as you remember to push the lever in at the carb. Like I say, should not need much choke...only to start her up really, the hand throttle should take of the rest. If its misfiring, that has always been cured by cleaning the points. I will check the box I am sending to you...pretty sure it has two sets of points, condenser and rotor arm in there.

If you do not have the B60 engine manual, I will photcopy the pages on the carb and send them to you (although I have spent ages setting the carb and I think its pretty much spot on).

Mick

Thanks Mike. Drove it back from work to home, a hairy journey to say the least!Sussed out the carb, I'll be investing in a new choke and starter cable after xmas, unless Santa brings me one! Along with an electronic ignition kit. Hopefully that should sort out my misfire. Took the tueet of with the aid of a forklift to get it into the garage at home. Has the good tyre on the side got a puncture ? Just wondered why the u/s tyre was on it?

I like it, I have armour. An ambition done!

In regards to the choke and starter cables would it be worth dropping them in a cleaning fluid of some sort and then operating them to clean the muck out?

Save a few pennies

Give it a good wash off as well all that salt will soon spoil the paintwork!

The engine turns over on the battery but doesn't try to fire up. I didnt remove the contacts, gave them a squirt of contact cleaner and passed some fine wet and dry between them once.

Rick, where was the problem with it not starting? Still curious.

We have an expression down our way "it is always the points". What if you have cleaned/gapped the points? no matter, "it is always the points" you just have not cleaned or gapped them properly. What if the symptoms are clearly something else eg blocked carb jet or duff fuel pump? "it is always the points"

I do know this is utter rubbish - I only said it to put no 1 son in his place about 10 years ago- funny thing is, since then it has always been right! Even when there are no points (in which case it is the electronic 'points') or even in the GMC deisel engine in my tank (which does have points in the flame primer or on this thread, should I say 'cold starting device'?).

Big Al has to put up with this kind of philosophy from me all the time - infuriating I should think!

We have an expression down our way "it is always the points". What if you have cleaned/gapped the points? no matter, "it is always the points" you just have not cleaned or gapped them properly. What if the symptoms are clearly something else eg blocked carb jet or duff fuel pump? "it is always the points"

I do know this is utter rubbish - I only said it to put no 1 son in his place about 10 years ago- funny thing is, since then it has always been right! Even when there are no points (in which case it is the electronic 'points') or even in the GMC deisel engine in my tank (which does have points in the flame primer or on this thread, should I say 'cold starting device'?).

Big Al has to put up with this kind of philosophy from me all the time - infuriating I should think!

It certainly always was the points in my day. Driver Mechs and REME in recce regiments were always good at doing the points, on CVR(T)s in particular.

Doesn't help that the J60 started life as a 4.2 litre Jaguar engine out of the XK120 sports car, from an era before Japanese cars which were the only cars that would run on 2star. The XK120 expected 5star. But of course the J60 was re-engineered to run on CombatGas, which made 2star seem like 5star.

Immediate action with any CVR(T) or Ferret that spluttered to a halt was to clean (or change) the pugs and points and off it went nine times out of ten.

Most will have heard this but for the new members...

Working on my (the Squadron Leader's really: I only drove) Land Rover on the vehicle park of Aliwal Barracks, Tidworth one morning in 1977, I watched a (civvy) petrol tanker pull up at the POL (Petrol, Oil and Lubricants) Point. The contents were allowed to settle, then the requested delivery was transferred into the CombatGas tank.

The (civvy: presumably Shell) tanker driver proffered his work ticket so that the POL Stroeman could sign for the load. The tanker was driven away, POL Storeman stood watching, perplexed look on his face and scratching his head. I was bored but intrigued. I bimbled over. (The verb to bimble describes a very casual walk, mush less formal than the Tank Park Shuffle, which describes cavalry marching day-to-day, again far more casual than proper marching, reserved for RSMs, Adjutants, COs and visiting generals and royalty.)

"What's up, marra?" I asked.

"It seems I just signed for a tanker-load of 5star. I pointed out it was meant to be CombatGas. He said there was an error on his work ticket and it was 15th/19th Hussars' lucky day. I asked him whose unlucky day it was. He replied, 'I wouldn't fill up with 5star at the Shell garage in Burbage for a few weeks if I were you.'"

He swore me to secrecy, or half the garrison would be hitting out pumps. I kept his secret but word obviously got out and the tank was dry again in no time. I must point out that the number of broken down B vehicles around the garrison was negligible for the next week or two.

When I dared to ask why we didn't do something about it, I was told that we needed to be able to use the lowest common denominator fuel that we might find during war. The cost of repairs to engines was budgeted. The cost of R&D of new engines was not. Simple really.