Snow, Black ice the lethal cocktail !

Johnh

Well you can have 4x4 and all wheel drive but get it wrong and it can be very painful !!:shocked: can't believe it, went all the way to Howden yesterday drove through blizzards, down to 15mph on M62, drove all the way back got within one mile of home , then spun off the lane in to a dry ditch, amused the rubberneckers whilst hanging in our seatbelts, thank god for the Landrover fraternity ! Ex REME Guy called Tony made very little fuss , couple of d shackles 2 ton strop, 3 mins later back on the lane !!!

Oh the bruises :cry: anyway now to do battle with the insurance man !!;)

rant over:embarrassed:

Well you can have 4x4 and all wheel drive but get it wrong and it can be very painful !!:shocked: can't believe it, went all the way to Howden yesterday drove through blizzards, down to 15mph on M62, drove all the way back got within one mile of home , then spun off the lane in to a dry ditch, amused the rubberneckers whilst hanging in our seatbelts, thank god for the Landrover fraternity ! Ex REME Guy called Tony made very little fuss , couple of d shackles 2 ton strop, 3 mins later back on the lane !!!

Oh the bruises :cry: anyway now to do battle with the insurance man !!;)

rant over:embarrassed:

I take it that was in your Surf? We haven't got any snow here, but if we get some and it's deep I'm taking the Land Rover to work. The Surf has too much power and feels light in the snow, wheel spinning everywhere even in 4x4 mode. Hope you haven't done too much damage to your truck!

The trusty Surf just back from the garage is driveable !!! had to get a new number plate !!! all damage at the front and tracking needs sorting,Just waiting for Toyota to get the bits before we can start, Bruising looks quite colourful :shocked:

Any thoughts on 'heavy' vehicles in this weather? Any experience of hills and compacted snow and ferrets, of course very slowly but does the weight work for us or against us?

The last thing I want is to be doing 5mph and then find that she has decided to accelerate in a side slide down the hill towards the very small and thinly armoured mini / yaris/ micra.

Personally I wouldn't... I've seen enough vehicles of all shapes and sizes in ditches and hedges to put me off. Including a gritter lorry lying on its side in a field, just not worth it especially when you factor in all the idiots who tear around as though its a clear summers day.

That said the snow covered field my 432 is parked in is looking increasingly tempting! But then again there's no other vehicles to bump into!

Well theres enough snow black ice white ice and every other colour round SE London at the moment.Best dancing partners apart from Dennis Dart, seem to be BMW's. It has beenm snowing all day , and still at it. HGard small chips, now wind getting up so strating to drift.

Tried a Saracen in 3-4" frozen snow once, useless! Front heavy, kept sliding all over the place. Quickly abandoned the idea, took 10mins to gently put her away.

This was all on concrete/tarmac, probably different on the 'rough'!

(In nice weather, cross country, 'going for it', we always found Saladin ended up in front.

Better balanced, engine at the back, gun at the front.:-)

Chas.

Any thoughts on 'heavy' vehicles in this weather? Any experience of hills and compacted snow and ferrets, of course very slowly but does the weight work for us or against us?

The last thing I want is to be doing 5mph and then find that she has decided to accelerate in a side slide down the hill towards the very small and thinly armoured mini / yaris/ micra.

My Surf is heavy, probably not as heavy as the Defender 110 though, but it has very wide AT tyres and even in 4x4 mode is pretty dodgy especially being an auto. The Defender has 7.50x16 tyres that are narrower and as they are new XZL's plenty of meat. I haven't tried these on snow yet but if they are anything like the XCL's then they would be pretty good in snow.

Does weight make a difference ?....not in the slightest. My first year in BAOR 1973, weather not unlike it is now...relatively little snow but SO much colder...27 below one night.

Anyway...the job on was towing dead M47 & M48 hulks onto Hohne ranges. I got 52 ton of Cent ARV stuck on a slight incline on a concrete range road (steel tracks mind not those hush puppy jobs) tracks spinning on black ice & my weight made no difference at all. Not going forwards I just put the brakes on thinking I would stand still....nope....me & the M48 just slid backwards & jack-knifed. Much'o embrasso.:blush:

Some years later I also found my series 2 LWB Landie would go anywhere in the snow whereas the 3 series Safari I had after it was less than useless.....odd that.

H

• 1 month later...
Finaly got the call from West Yorks car repair centre ! they can fix my car 'some time this month':-| Some day I will get my Reo !!!;)

My back silencer needs replacing. It started rattling the other day and when I got underneath to have a look I noticed that where the pipe meets the back of the silencer there is a crack half way through.:(

I'm not happy as I only replaced it a few years ago. It's supposed to be a Stainless system, but only the box is, not the piping. Will order one tomorrow.

Well so much for getting excited !:( booked in for the 10th of February so that they can arrange to order parts and have another look ????:-| if I am lucky i could have my truck back and fixed 1st week in March ???