Fitting New MRF NDMS Ferret Tyres

Diana and Jackie

Hi,

Just bought five new MRF NDMS 9 x16 tyres for our Ferret from Totec Tyres.

Please can anyone tell us if we need to remove the runflat inserts and replace them with tyre gaiters? And if so where can we get suitable gaiters?

Any tips on changing these tyres would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ......Diana and Jackie.

PS... he has just had delivery of this hard to obtain tyre - we also got the tubes.

I've had my tyres on and off loads of times. You can do the job yourself, but you will need some long bars. You can re-use the insert, and there is a nack to getting it back in. Buy new inner tubes as the old ones may be 30+ years old!

Chris

Hi

Yes we did buy new tubes as well - not taking any chances and not a good idea to re-use the old tubes when you have brand new tyres.

Tubes about £12.75 each with the extended valve stem.

About to go looking for long tyre levers next then!

Diana and Jackie.

I've had my tyres on and off loads of times. You can do the job yourself, but you will need some long bars. You can re-use the insert, and there is a nack to getting it back in. Buy new inner tubes as the old ones may be 30+ years old!

Chris

Far simpler if you have a truck or agricultural tyre place nearby, to drop a tenner in the tea box and ask them to breack the beads. On old tyres they can get stubborn. I've seen the 'put a jack under the front of the truck' lifting the truck quite happily. Best to take the wheels and tyres straight off the vehicle, then allow them to do it. You can help with a bottle of Fairy liquid or similar. Soack the beads right round inside and out for a week or so. If you soack the washing up bottle in a bucket of very hot water before application it helps.

Edited by Tony B

There were some ex German portable bead splitters at Beltring some while back, just add compressor. Very nice kit, a mate has one. Anyone know if they are still around to buy? Tyre levers, get some 8 foot scaffold poles cut a slot then weld in a pice off and old Landy leaf spring.

This is amazing news for all UK Ferret owners!!

If these tyres really are suitable, then they're the answer to all of our prayers. There has been much debate on this forum and elsewhere about finding suitable tyres for our Ferrets. These tyres look to be the first with the same (or very similar) tread pattern to the original fit Dunlops.

Fingers crossed!!

This is amazing news for all UK Ferret owners!!

If these tyres really are suitable, then they're the answer to all of our prayers. There has been much debate on this forum and elsewhere about finding suitable tyres for our Ferrets. These tyres look to be the first with the same (or very similar) tread pattern to the original fit Dunlops.

Fingers crossed!!

Peter,

This is not amazing news...! These are 900x16, but they are the same pattern as fitted to Dodges, 101 etc and so not too hard to find. They are just Bar Grips, not Trakgrips which everyone wants.

Chris

There were some ex German portable bead splitters at Beltring some while back, just add compressor. Very nice kit, a mate has one. Anyone know if they are still around to buy? Tyre levers, get some 8 foot scaffold poles cut a slot then weld in a pice off and old Landy leaf spring.

I have had one of those German kits for years, but they are not designed for divided rims, as on Ferret, they are for those wheels with a spring ring, the 3-piece type.

http://www.m201.com/access/pneu2.htm

Says it all

Diana and Jackie

Yes and I removed a reluctant Dingo tyre with it, but at the expense of bending the centre. If you read the instuction book with it you will see what I mean. Works well on Bedford RL wheels though, what it was designed for.

Thanks to hanno i have one of the german tyre splitters

Don't know how your machine actually works but looking at your pictures does it work when the run flat insert is present as that would make it very hard to push the bead/sidewall downwards as that is afterall what they were designed to stop, ie to force the beads apart not together.

My local tyre fitter put so much pressure on the rim doing mine they put a kink/lip in the rim itself before they realised it was only alloy and not steel.

Edited by john fox

When I asked Totec about the 9 x 16 tires, they said they did not have the EU mark to be used on the road.

The situation may have changed since then and I will admit to stroking my chin at the thought of some nice new tires for my ferret

00EC25. Only twelve away from me (00EC13) :)