Odd recovery points on Land Rover in NI

robin craig

Herewith attached is a photo from the 17/21st Lancers in Northern Ireland.

What caught my eye is the under bumper recovery points.

Curiously they look very well fabricated and also very similiar to a type mounted on top of the bumper by the Dutch on their vehicles.

Any comments please?

R ( I think the R is a rivet counter:nut:)

weird land rover.jpg

I suspect they are not recovery points but a local modification for possibly low hanging Macralon ?

Ingenious people squaddies...when I was the Brigade Comd's driver he moaned that the rover wasn't fast enough..It was taken to base workshops and appeared the next morning with twin webbers !! still only did 50 but got there quicker

Seems reasonable to think they are recovery eyes. Theres no access to the lifting points on the chassis rails to attach an A frame. Begs the question why tho? If it broke down a lot sort/replace it, if it did brake down how many vehicles were carrying an A frame just in case, rope round spring hanger and off you go.

Well over engineered to be used for just hanging some protection from.

Reference.

Armoured and Heavy Duty Vehicles of the RUC by David Dune.

page 75

There are identical "points" on 96EN77 , described as Land Rover of the commanding officer of the 17/21st Lancers , further described as being the first to be fitted with VPK.

-----------------

Noted later in the book that many photographs of such as Tangi have loops (recovery I would say) in the same position with access holes in the expanmet skirt (some having hinged cover flaps).

=====

IMHO The front bumperettes are air-lift (the lifting points out of sight and do not take a correct sized shackle easy / if at all). It could be that they fitted them where recovery teams expected to find them in a hurry in a typical NI situation (and to match what tackle they used).

However looking through the book the front loops often used are standard loops or the rear larger loops (as used on front of Pink Panther and possibly for same reason - weight).

It could be that the added weight of VPK took the loading beyond the standard lifting points - so they produced these special HD points.

You will find that the present heavy equiped Wolf versions - some have a similar extra HD front lifting point , obviously the standard Rover front loops or JATE ring bolts are unable to take the weight.

Not sure on recovery points but great pic. what unit as all three with SMG's.
At the time Cavalry Regiments used the Sterling as personnal weapons for veh crews, although SLR and LMG were carried and used in Northern Ireland. When I wasn't in my Ferret, I carried a LMG. Edited by Bazz
more info

At the time Cavalry Regiments used the Sterling as personnal weapons for veh crews, although SLR and LMG were carried and used in Northern Ireland. When I wasn't in my Ferret, I carried a LMG.

When I was in Hoagy's Ferret (I think he had gone off CVR(T) driver converting) I still took my SLR.

Herewith attached is a photo from the 17/21st Lancers in Northern Ireland.

Somebody asked the unit. See above.

Bazz, it's 35 years. I saw 17/21L and thought of Roly T***, 17/21L, on ERE to us and in our troop. Guy on the right reminds me of him.

Do you remember him? It would have been a long time: do you think he might have stayed on from their Omagh tour, through 16/5L and 1RTR (IIRC) all the way through? Always possible he went back to Tidworth with 17/21L and then back to Omagh later.

Or is it my eyes growing dim?

Roly and FA Cup Final Day 1976 will forever remain in my memory. Being ERE, he wasn't going home with us at end of tour, mid-May. In stead, all the EREs bartered for better roles than they'd had. Roly had been driving Ralphy, but got himself a place driving ATO. He crowed that while we were checking culverts on the road between Omagh and Garrison, he'd be curled up in the 10-minute Room watch Man U beat Southampton.

We got out early and checked the culverts and sat down in Belcoo RUC station to watch the final. In Omagh, ATO got tasked at 1450 ...

Oh how we all larfed.

Land Rover Part No. NRC 9011

You will see them on US Ranger RSOV (6 lifting points)

Some WMIK

Look on the OTOKAR web site - very common on their mil. trucks

Believe it or not - ISTR the 90" Dinky @ The Airborne Museum (winch fitted) - it has them fitted.

Been around a few years ..