Ferret Hazard Warning switch and circuit

Hi,

The Hazard warnings do not work on our Ferret - I've investigated and the problem lies with the switch - which no one appears to have. I belive it can be repaired as the problem is simply the small relay built into the switch which I plan to substitute, the current relay has disintegrated.

Has anyone got the circuit? and before I get bombarded with "go look at http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/" the circuits there do not have the wiring for the hazard warning switch - despite the website saying so. only the indicator wiring minus the hazard circuit.

I have looked at every circuit possible I can find and none refer to the hazard warning switch.

Diana and Jackie :nut:

Hi,

The Hazard warnings do not work on our Ferret - I've investigated and the problem lies with the switch - which no one appears to have. I belive it can be repaired as the problem is simply the small relay built into the switch which I plan to substitute, the current relay has disintegrated.

Has anyone got the circuit? and before I get bombarded with "go look at http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/" the circuits there do not have the wiring for the hazard warning switch - despite the website saying so. only the indicator wiring minus the hazard circuit.

I have looked at every circuit possible I can find and none refer to the hazard warning switch.

Deleted the bit about the hazard warning circuit

The circuit is a modified turn indicator circuit, using a hazard switch which incoporates a relay on the switch, looking on the web there is a similar system but for 12 volts.

I've found loads of circuits for the landrover but they dont use this particular hazard switch.

It doesnt help that flasher relays have incomprehensible numbers but this site is helpful in explaining that. http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/49/

I may end up modifying the circuit to use an electronic relay, and a new switch.

Here is a kit for 12 volts -https://www.holden.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?pCode=SFB300

unfortunately it won't work on a Ferret 24 Volts, besides I am not going to pay £60

I belive the Ferret was modified with Hazard Flashers when it was sent to Northern Ireland .

Deleted the bit about the hazard warning circuit

• 2 weeks later...

It may indeed be a "HELLA" make switch. Terminal 15, which is the unswitched live feed is not used.

On the rear of a switch is a relay, this switches the nearside (Kerbside in the UK) indicators.

On our switch this was damaged, so I cut it out and replaced it with a bolt on relay wired to the old relays terminals.

The relay is used because the Ferret's existing indicator relay cannot cope with 4 indicator bulbs.

The small bulb in the middle of the switch which is not show can be replaced with a Maplin BT53H, with two soldered blobs on each side of the bulb.

The end result is shown below.

Hope this may help someone!

Diana and Jackie

I recollect it is a Hella component, but do not have any details to hand, but just scanned a page from Hella catalogue of mid Eighties, with two circuit diagrams for 24v. Hope it is of use.

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

If The Indicators operate normally then its highly likely the relay in the switch is faulty.

There is a cover over the switch/relay which you will have to remove to get at the innards.

Diana and Jackie

Thanks for this :-)

My hazzard switch only currently operates one side of the indicators. I think it will be a winter job.

Cheers

Matt