A typical workshop scene, what is in yours?

robin craig

This was our shop a few weeks ago, the blessed troublesome CVR(W) Fox was getting closed up after fiddling. The Supacat was in for a steering alignment and a new ball joint after having a sudden stop against a tree at the hands of some plonker who was a guest. The Ferret was in for tidying and first parade work prior to going to a show.

R

various MV 099.jpg

various MV 100.jpg

This was our shop a few weeks ago, the blessed troublesome CVR(W) Fox was getting closed up after fiddling. The Supacat was in for a steering alignment and a new ball joint after having a sudden stop against a tree at the hands of some plonker who was a guest. The Ferret was in for tidying and first parade work prior to going to a show.

R

We dream of having this type of workshop ! We have a leanto with no hardstanding floor, a john ! but we still get things done.

Al

Not mutch of a workshop,,,,,, no cups teabags kettle,,, sorry this is a place for parking not working .Maybe a little bit of TLC and it would be perfect,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol though has lots and lots of good points..

I have been where al mentions and been in 6inches of mud grinding the valantine myself ,We could have done with that shop.

Big Al and Stal108 are right: in the winter we have to wear wellingtons and tie spanners to ourselves with string because if you drop them, they disappear in the ooze! The coffee cups grow fur from one weekend to the next as well but a bit of boiling water, some cotton waste shoved around with a spanner and it comes off. Tank stands on two rows of railway sleepers which stops it sinking too much into the 'floor'. Mind you, the earth floored lean to is an improvement: from 1984 to 2002 we worked in the open, under tarpaulins and just stopped if it snowed or rained too much: fun with 240v electrics though!

I am just getting a quote for a ready mixed concrete floor. Any ideas anyone on thickness?

I am just getting a quote for a ready mixed concrete floor. Any ideas anyone on thickness?

What are you sitting on it weight wise and contact area?

Whjat size area are you looking at on plan?

You may need some joints and reinforcement in it?

Off the top of my head work on the following

Geotextile membrane on rolled ground.

75-100mm of type 1 or sand blinded hardcore.

1200 guage polythene seperation membrane.

175mm (150mm is minimum) concrete with 35 KN/m2 28 day strength 320 Kg/m3 cement 0.4 max water cement ratio. If external would have an air entraining agent added.

Throw in some A393 or C285 mesh reinforcement.

Give it a wire brush finish, wait 28 days and all should be fine.

Mike

A few shots of our unit.. lot more in it these days, photos taken when I just took over the unit :D

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

P1000223.jpg

Nice ! I do know that John has plans for a big improvment to his storage and work shop areas, we maybe under cover and dry under foot by the end of the year! Any more photos of workshops for us to look at !!!

MICE!!!! Decided to day to sort out /tidy my workshop as it was raining. Little s...s have even made a meal out of my new tubes of gasket compounds:embarrassed:.

But we made a good start to lay the ' patio' in my 'outdoor' living shed for BBQ's etc. Just real handy that I can park my Landi and trailer in it:D and just so happens I will be able to drop screens for a spray booth.

MICE!!!! Decided to day to sort out /tidy my workshop as it was raining. Little s...s have even made a meal out of my new tubes of gasket compounds:embarrassed:.

But we made a good start to lay the ' patio' in my 'outdoor' living shed for BBQ's etc. Just real handy that I can park my Landi and trailer in it:D and just so happens I will be able to drop screens for a spray booth.

You need a cat mate!!!

When we christening the new patio then mate?

Mark

What are you sitting on it weight wise and contact area?

Whjat size area are you looking at on plan?

You may need some joints and reinforcement in it?

Off the top of my head work on the following

Geotextile membrane on rolled ground.

75-100mm of type 1 or sand blinded hardcore.

1200 guage polythene seperation membrane.

175mm (150mm is minimum) concrete with 35 KN/m2 28 day strength 320 Kg/m3 cement 0.4 max water cement ratio. If external would have an air entraining agent added.

Throw in some A393 or C285 mesh reinforcement.

Give it a wire brush finish, wait 28 days and all should be fine.

Mike

Concrete is for the base of a semi permanent building and will have both tracked and wheeled armour on it, up to about 20 tons. Size is 60 feet by 40 (say 12 x 18 m.) It already has about 6+ inches of hard rolled brick based hardcore and ex road tarmac planings which has been down some years and which supports a loaded artic with minimal sinkage.

I have never concreted anything so have no idea about any of the technical details you have kindly added but presumably the ready mixed concrete company would know?

Thanks for the help!

Concrete is for the base of a semi permanent building and will have both tracked and wheeled armour on it, up to about 20 tons. Size is 60 feet by 40 (say 12 x 18 m.) It already has about 6+ inches of hard rolled brick based hardcore and ex road tarmac planings which has been down some years and which supports a loaded artic with minimal sinkage.

I have never concreted anything so have no idea about any of the technical details you have kindly added but presumably the ready mixed concrete company would know?

Thanks for the help!

Firstly Pneumatic tyres and armour tracked vehicles displace loads quite differently as tracked has a spread of point loads as it were.

Your sub-base should be nothing less than 8 inches of MOT type 1 hardcore with a sand blinding of 2inch. Then without a bearing pressure test done on the ground I would suggest nothing less than an 8inch slab with reinforcement top and bottom, say B293 mesh.

Thats typical for what is used for an MT depot. Concrete would need to be at least C30 or C35.

If we have an engineer on the forum he may concur or fine tune my suggestions.

Cheers

Wayne

Thanks for the help!

As you have hardcore and road planingd down you are probably half way there.

Assuming it is in a reasonably level and "clean" state you could just lay the polythene membrane and concrete on it. Road planings are good as they have a habit of rebonding and staying together well.

Can you raise the levels around without any problem as this saves digging out and starting again?

With the loadings you would get away with minimum 150mm of concrete with mesh in it.

I would recommend dividing an area that size into 4 equal sections with joints.

New concrete shrinks and this can cause cracking the joints persuade it to cracrk where you want it. Several ways of doing this.

1. Pour each bit seperately

2. Insert crack inducers into the wet concrete. (1/3 to 1/2 depth)

3. Saw cut whilst still fresh to depth as above.

The ready mix company should be able to give you a quote for concrete which matches what I have specified. They may come back with an alternative.

This is all part of the stuff I have to do to pay the bills.

Mike

Firstly Pneumatic tyres and armour tracked vehicles displace loads quite differently as tracked has a spread of point loads as it were.

Your sub-base should be nothing less than 8 inches of MOT type 1 hardcore with a sand blinding of 2inch. Then without a bearing pressure test done on the ground I would suggest nothing less than an 8inch slab with reinforcement top and bottom, say B293 mesh.

Thats typical for what is used for an MT depot. Concrete would need to be at least C30 or C35.

If we have an engineer on the forum he may concur or fine tune my suggestions.

Cheers

Wayne

Won't pick up on differences between Type 1 and hardcore (to much like work and HMVF is meant to be fun) but your suggestion would definitey be fine.

Tracked vehicles spread load much better as they have a larger contact area. The same also applies in some extend to wheeled vehicles. As it is all down to contact area and loadings.

I also agree that if it was a heavily trafficked area like a industrial yard or vehicle depot more concrete would be required.

If the existing hardcore and road planing area is left insitu the ground bearing pressure is most likly OK as what he has there has not disappeared.

Have been on site when 2 truck loads of hardcore were tipped and tracked in by tracked excavator. Within 5 minutes you could not tell the difference between before and after. Now that was bad ground.

Mike