Living History and it's future at W&P

LoggyDriver

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the re-enactmentdisplays, but it seems hard for the smaller ones to stand out unless they dig a trenchsystem to Australia. The pitch they get in the middle of the re-enactors' field is quite small, it is very crowded and the walkingpaths there are quite narrow. I wonder if it would be possible to give the re-enactmentsection some additional space in an area North of the Arena, so it doesn't take space from the vehicle exhibits?

Greetz

David

War and Peace describes itself as "The largest Military Vehicle Spectacular in the world". Personally I don't care for the re-enactment displays as my interest is in the engineering and the vehicles.

Please Mr Organiser, do not give over any more of the prime areas of the show site to people who want to spend the week sitting in muddy holes.

:beatenup:

Alternatively, and as a more constructive approach, why not distribute the 'living history' encampments around the whole site? Why do they all have to be in one place? There is an argument that the public are drawn to the re-enactment section so this could also have the effect of drawing the crowds out into the rest of the show.

- MG

the days of just mv shows are long dead ,people want more bang for there money, they want as much on show as they can get

I am not a re-enactor but I can see the truth of this statement for the average person. Personally I like nothing better than going round fields and fields of green vehicles but how many members of the public made it into the Americas field or beyond ? Ultimately the re-enactors enhance enhance the appeal to the public and the vehicles provide a tangible link to the past - everyone a winner..!

Cheers

The Americas field was positively heaving with public compaired to Medway where we were. I think they should split up the stalls and the entertainment. Why 3 odd beer tents in one area? The living history could be split up too. That would ensure more footfall throughout the whole show ground. All they have to do is try it for one year and see what happens. If it doesn't work out then go back to the old system.

Just a surgestion Rex could arrange a drive around the feilds for the public say on a MJ bedford with seats in the back Canvas rolled up for a small fee they could drive around all the feilds say 1 trip per 1 1/2 hours all day long this will give the public a good look at all the show.

Al

Just a surgestion Rex could arrange a drive around the feilds for the public say on a MJ bedford with seats in the back Canvas rolled up for a small fee they could drive around all the feilds say 1 trip per 1 1/2 hours all day long this will give the public a good look at all the show.

Al

That the most positive suggestion I've seen so far on this thread, an organised 'bus' service would ensure that the public dont miss any of the displays/renactments etc and everyone else use it to get arround and cutout the high volume of vehicle movements.

The one criticisum I have is all the underage riders on mx & quad bikes, I think it should be banded partly for safety reasons but mainly because it detracts from the military theme.

Fantastic show. already counting down the days until next year.

Some valid & Positive suggestions here, it seems to me. Safety is obviously an Important factor at this Prestigious Event!

With regards to Quadbikes. Would it not be possible to have a Field set aside for nothing but these vehilces? That way 'Kids' small & 'Big Kid's, could drive about till thier hearts content. With no fear to the visiting Public. I think there are ample fields that are unused that one could be selected & utilised for this purpose. Just a suggestion,anything that could be added to the show that is Positive Idea & realistic. Can only add to the Betterment & Enhance what is purported to be 'The Worlds BIGGEST Military Vehicle Show'.

Al

Cracking idea. They do something similar at Dover Castle with a land train which consists of a Landy with multiple carriages behind. This works well because the site (Dover) is so large, albeit much smaller than Beltring.

Perhaps the insurance costs could be reduced by operating the tug vehicle at 5mph, which is supposed to be the site speed limit, which would give the general public time to view the displays.