Living History and it's future at W&P

LoggyDriver

Last year I was chatting to the owner of a well known ex military vehicle dealer. He told me that they weren't going to bother attending the W&P show in 2010 as it was too much hassle.

This year they did come back and bigger than ever. So much so that they took a considerable part of the Living History Field and turned it into a sales lot. So what exactly is happening? I heard that a lot of the Living History guys were livid with the decision.

I also heard on the grapevine that the Americas Field will next year be home to the Living History groups. Is there any truth in this, has anyone heard the same thing? If this is the case, what will take their place?

We all know that W&P makes some rich people considerably richer, but has the whole ethos of the show turned from promoting History and the Military Vehicles place in it into a Commercial Venture where increasingly the money made is King and the real reason the show exists is being forgotten and relegated behind that of the trade stalls.?

What are your feelings on these questions?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did wonder myself why the company was selling in the LH area.

Maybe the field change is because its outgrowing the field its in though as it seems quite full?

Have to say the dust was a real problem this year but I guess its better than mud!:D

I also heard on the grapevine that the Americas Field will next year be home to the Living History groups. Is there any truth in this, has anyone heard the same thing?

I also heard a rumour like that, and on Sunday afternoon had the opportunity to ask the guvnor himself, Rex and he said there was no truth in it.

Dont know if I have a right to reply to this thread! This year was my very first visit. As a 'newcomer' I thought the living history field was fantastic, wish I had spent a day sat on a chair just watching what was going on. But I thought it was crowded as so many fantastic vehicles were in the displays as well. ( I used to take part in multi-period events, one out grew the site after three years, where each era had space) If the American field is used for the re-enactors (where we were, and crowded) where would we have been? Has this site got room to expand into more acerage and get even bigger?

All in all I think we are lucky that such a event is held in England. In no way do I want to get involved in the in's and out's over who makes money or not, I just want to enjoy this fantastic hobby.

Andy. P.S. will never forget the lads 'dug in' by the little bridge into the A. field. Good show, keep it up, my respect goes out to them.

Lets remember that this was initially a MV event and the living history came along a long time after. I think that Living History has intergrated itself well into the show,and is one of the main attractions of the whole week. To move it somewhere else would be a bad move.

The only bad move this year was placing said dealer in the LH field. Must have been a good deal done before hand,as that is a prime spot.

I took a vehcile from said dealer for a test drive and asked why they were in the living history field, his answer was that its alot easier to get vehciles out for test drives from were they wre, rather than through all the stalls with the public about, makes sense to me.

I took a vehcile from said dealer for a test drive and asked why they were in the living history field, his answer was that its alot easier to get vehciles out for test drives from were they wre, rather than through all the stalls with the public about, makes sense to me.

Yes I can see the point in that, they never used to let you take the vehicles out when they were in the trade stall area, but even where they were this year was crowded. They could have been put the other side of the road where there seemed to be a lot of untaken space. It made an already crowded Living History area even more crowded.

Maybe they should be put into Monctons Meadow where there is ample space and prevent the Living History area being ruined.

i think that the LH field needs expanding alittle to give people the space as at the moment it looks squashed compare to when i first started going 14 years ago

but i think that dealers with such big kit should be moved to where its mainly MV owners as tbh not many joe public is gunna go and buy a vehicle from them

either way all i say is roll on year 15 and lets hope its just as awesome with no more whirly birds

Speaking to Rex as one of the Reenactors who lost space in the LH field (in fact "they" were next door) he stated that they were there because of health and safety involving moving vehicles and in their normal space near the stalls their vehicles are "land locked".

I also understand that they paid approx £5000 to have that space so money does indeed talk however they were a might upset with the dust not to say the idiot who was spinning his hot hatch and flicking stones up everywhere!

Rex's plan is to move more of the LH upfield and for the vehicles currently there to move up and on to adjacent fields if needed.

A whole re-vamp of the living history area is needed as Greg who was supposedly in charge of the groups booking in, suddenly had groups appearing who had booked space through Rex!!!

A major change needs to take place to enable LH and MVT ers who book an area to actually get the area promised to them.

Keith

I bet they paid more than that. The plot they had this year was double what they usually get.

Yes it was rather amusing watching them all choke to death in the dust. I especially liked the "SHOW SPECIAL" trailers that were £400 one day and £250 the next...:shocked:

Then you had those signs they put out. "last chance to purchase a Bedford truck. We have just taken delivery of the last 150 TA vehicles, there will be absolutely no more available. Hurry as we have already sold 6,000 of these" --- That's right, that was the crux of the message.:rofl: I couldn't belive it. The last 150..... Well what are those trucks I see every day on the motorway that look like Military Bedford MJ trucks????? Can't be though as "the dealer" has the last 150.....:nut: Muppets.

• 2 weeks later...
Last year I was chatting to the owner of a well known ex military vehicle dealer. He told me that they weren't going to bother attending the W&P show in 2010 as it was too much hassle.

This year they did come back and bigger than ever. So much so that they took a considerable part of the Living History Field and turned it into a sales lot. So what exactly is happening? I heard that a lot of the Living History guys were livid with the decision.

I also heard on the grapevine that the Americas Field will next year be home to the Living History groups. Is there any truth in this, has anyone heard the same thing? If this is the case, what will take their place?

We all know that W&P makes some rich people considerably richer, but has the whole ethos of the show turned from promoting History and the Military Vehicles place in it into a Commercial Venture where increasingly the money made is King and the real reason the show exists is being forgotten and relegated behind that of the trade stalls.?

What are your feelings on these questions?

As a group returning for our second official year expecting some space in the living history field we were let down again. Last year we were welcomed in by Rolling Thunder who had been advised to take our allocated space but graciously moved giving us about 50% of what we expected. Which was actually more than enough, thanks guys , especially french john who was the recipient of the relocation. This year we were just too late again (tuesday/wednesday ?) We ended up two fields away between lovely Pinzgauer owners and some Dutch who have probably helped me shorten my livers life even better than I. We were hoping to up the ante and field a better representation but felt a little robbed of the oppurtunity. Getting to the point, we most likely , like others could have fitted in if traders were excluded and relocated over the road. As sure as I am that the organisers feel the need for some fluidity over the way they allocate space in this area, i feel they should recognise the expectations and feelings of groups like ourselves who have spent 12 months planning and anticipating only to feel effectivly disregarded purely because we can't be present a week ( or is it two ) before it all kicks off. Am I alone? Edited by corin

As a group returning for our second official year expecting some space in the living history field we were let down again. Last year we were welcomed in by Living Thunder who had been advised to take our allocated space but graciously moved giving us about 50% of what we expected. Which was actually more than enough, thanks guys , especially french john who was the recipient of the relocation. This year we were just too late again (tuesday/wednesday ?) We ended up two fields away between lovely Pinzgauer owners and some Dutch who have probably helped me shorten my livers life even better than I. We were hoping to up the ante and field a better representation but felt a little robbed of the oppurtunity. Getting to the point, we most likely , like others could have fitted in if traders were excluded and relocated over the road. As sure as I am that the organisers feel the need for some fluidity over the way they allocate space in this area, i feel they should recognise the expectations and feelings of groups like ourselves who have spent 12 months planning and anticipating only to feel effectivly disregarded purely because we can't be present a week ( or is it two ) before it all kicks off. Am I alone?

I must admit, I was suprised that "they" were on the corner of the reenactors field, I can understand that they needed to let potential buyers to test drive the vehicles,, but couldnt the organisers have put them somewhere else?

Corin, I was a bit suprised to find your group where they were, but it was a good display

All the best

Mark

2010_07240288.jpg

I must admit, I was suprised that "they" were on the corner of the reenactors field, I can understand that they needed to let potential buyers to test drive the vehicles,, but couldnt the organisers have put them somewhere else?

Corin, I was a bit suprised to find your group where they were, but it was a good display

All the best

Mark

Thanks again Mark. It was a shame as we planned to make it much different to how it ended up. We had planned earthworks forming a trench and mortar pit and were planning to live in it as much as possible during the day. However being so far away we didn't have any thing like the interest and enquiries we had enjoyed in 2009 so spent much of our time walking around the show instead talking to all we met along the way. we'll see what happens next year. Here's a group pic while on one of our wanderings through the woods.

WAR AND PEACE 2010 026.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just realised what a stupid mistake I made. I obviously meant Rolling Thunder and apologise if any offence was taken. It certainly wasn't intended. Result of posting the wrong side of midnight.

Sorry.

Quote: ` ......i feel they should recognise the expectations and feelings of groups like ourselves who have spent 12 months planning and anticipating only to feel effectivly disregarded purely because we can't be present a week ( or is it two ) before it all kicks off. Am I alone? `

Due to my being on long term posting overseas, I am rarely able to reach the UK to arrive anywhere near early enough to claim a stake in the living history area - but, did have a lucky-run until 2008 (which much help from Greg Cottee). However, having turned up the last 2-years running with all the display kit - only to be relegated to Monktons field (a great campsite by the way, or for speed testing for your armour) - I feel it more appropriate to leave Living history to those fortunate enough to be able to arrive earlier.

Will still attend of course - its a great show, but as a happy camper only.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

If space is a problem in the LH field why not get rid of the none LH displays ,a caravan with a cam net thrown over it and a Land Rover is not LH.

A row of green tents with no one to be seen is not LH

I suspect its a good place to camp and park for nothing .

Good LH is very hard work

Did they have litre plastic bottles of coke in WW2?

Edited by Marmite!!

Also, shame to note that the USO tour won't be at War & Peace 2011 or by the looks of it ever again :-( I really enjoyed their set-up and great prices on the food and drink compared to "Gingers" beer tent:cool2:

Also, shame to note that the USO tour won't be at War & Peace 2011 or by the looks of it ever again :-( I really enjoyed their set-up and great prices on the food and drink compared to "Gingers" beer tent:cool2:

I can only agree with you I went last year and watched the show and was very good shame it will not be there this year :(

Al

Why wont it be there this year????

That's a huge shame, I mentioned it before in another thread, but I thought it was a fantastic alternative to the other refreshment options, not to mention it was so much more in keeping with the whole W&P idea than Ginger's.

Sad and very short sighted.

I completely agree with everones coments. We stay in the Americas field, not far from where they had their area. We have really enjoyed their shows and music, and have found it much less intrusive than Gingers bar, or Ginger himself who really makes a racket some nights well into the early hours.

Its a real shame that something has become so popular that it has had so many restrictions and extra expence placed on them, so much that it has become unviable. The USO was a bonus and the War and Peace show will be miss them. They were just toooo popular