Jack - update!

Jack

OK folks many thanks for that and I can now give everyone an update and get everyone up to speed. You may of heard rumours and gossip and may of not seen me here or have been able to get hold of me lately or things have been late.

It has been a tough time and still is but yes Pathfinder has closed. Came as much a shock to you as it did me and I am still trying to come to terms with that. But I have always been one for openness and transparency so let me give you an idea of why.

It is usually a combination or a chain of events that often lead to a crash and this is the case here. In Jan this year we ordered and paid for the coming seasons worth or tents – which is no small change. No problems there as delivery was due in March – plenty of time and lead times we are used too. However we were given delays because of the Haiti disaster, OK we can work around that. Then another disaster that took canvas production away. So we got through that but it was going to be tight.

OK thats business and you have to build that into your business life – it happens. All of our order was completed and ready to go (even thou the delivery time was months behind) we were happy it was on its way. And then – all flights were grounded because of the ash cloud – when I got that news I just had the 1000 yard stare.

We were being fob off with stories from our supplier that our order was on its way but never arrived. Unbeknown to us – the ash cloud had caused the supplier to go bust. Again this happens in business all the time and certainly in the current economic climate. So what did that mean to us? It meant that our order had gone with no recourse what so ever. In simple terms it means that we would lose our order and all of the money we had paid for it – it also meant that all of our clients would lose their orders too. I couldn’t and wouldn’t have that.

So I had to deal with their administrator to get our tents here and dealing with an administrator in the country is pain at the best of time let alone one in a foreign land and time zone. I worked myself to death to get this sorted and I even got the British Embassy on to it but I did it. Do not talk to me about stress at this time as I can write a book on it.

So the tents dripped into us a bit at a time – some stock we ordered and some stock we didn’t – a complete mess all-round. But we had clients who needed their tents so you get it done.

I had two majored shareholders in Pathfinder – both very wealthy individuals and both into property. Now as we all know property is suffering and by association so too are the people who have business in that sector.

So the next and final blow was for one of them wanting to pull his investment out as he was in a world of hurt. So he pulled the rug out from underneath us all and that was that. I could do no more. Pathfinder hasn’t gone bust or liquidated – it has just closed.

Yes it is a damn mess and yes it had let some folks down but I have worked hard to make sure everyone received they order. Yes it has taken some time but I was/am pretty much working with both hands tied. I don’t want to go into to much detail but I have had to fight damn hard to make sure everyone got everything as that has kept me awake at night. And the reason it has kept me awake is because I care and it is important to me.

I have worked nonstop for three years to build Pathfinder. And I have given it my all. I hope we were able to provide you with great service and products – yes we may not of got it right every time but hope we made up for it and put it right. I love this hobby and everyone in it. I can’t leave it –have way too many friends and they won’t let me!

So where am I now? Dazed, tired and exhausted and my head is still spinning from it all and trying to think straight. So where will I be? Actually, I intend to start again – on my own. It will take me a day or two to get my mental, emotional and physical strength back but I will be back – I have too.

My deepest apologies to everyone this had caused stress to –it wasn’t the plan but please rest assured that I have and will continue to work 24/7 to make sure everyone is happy. My current email address is jackbeckett5000 @ yahoo.co.uk for those who need to get hold of me.

The reason I am writing to you is because I am not some faceless guy or company who just cuts and runs. So I am here to face the music and critic’s and get this tided up. I hope you can appreciate that and I won’t rest until that is done. I could just sink into the back ground but not going to do that. The Pathfinder Magazine and HMVF is safe and I am being asked to do another Armour and Embarkation. I have pretty much lost everything in the last 7 months but that's life and at least I never had to storm the beaches of Normandy! But now have everything to gain so hold on tight!

You have my email address and I am currently restructuring the tent come back. No need to comment here - just letting you know what is going on.

My kind regards,

Jack.

Edited by Jack

gods Jack, thats a real bummer.

In the short time I have known you, I know that you will come back, you have the guts and determination to succeed again.

I presume that I can speak for us all, but I know the forum members will be behind you 110%

Good luck mate

Mark

sorry to hear all your bad news Jack ,it really hasnt been a good year for you has it,but having seen the determination and effort you have put in so far I am sure you will sort things out and remember what doesnt kill you makes you stronger good luck mate and get on with sorting the next A and E

Nigel

Gutted for you Jack. As has been said above, you are not alone. You need anything at all, I'm sure between us, the members on here will be able to sort it out for you. After your resounding success with A + E, and your honesty and decency expressed in your 'explanation', you are obviously a man of rare quality, and I am certain you will come through this, to greater things and enhanced reputation.

We are all behind you, Jack.

Wow Jack,

Sorry to hear about Pathfinder, business isn`t easy at the best of times and when you throw in the unexpected and unplanned for you wonder why you bother......however you do bother and do care. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time however I am sure you will be back stronger than ever and answerable only to yourself in future.

I will leave you with a couple of quotes that seemed apt

"All lasting business is built on friendship" Alfred A Montaport

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business" Henry Ford

Have a break, clear your head and onward .....

Jack

You missed the most important part of the story out - Driving half way to Suffolk last weekend to attend our wedding only for your car to let you down on the M25 and have to be recovered home.

I mean, to close your business is one thing, but to miss out on the rare occasion of a free evening's entertainment at my expense? - Now that's unforgivable...........!!

"Your name vill go on ze list"

Edited by M5Clive

Jack

You missed the most important part of the story out - Driving half way to Suffolk last weekend to attend our wedding only for your car to let you down on the M25 and have to be recovered home.

I mean, to close your business is one thing, but to miss out on the rare occasion of a free evening's entertainment at my expense? - Now that's unforgivable...........!!

"Your name vill go on ze list"

That just made me laugh out loud Clive!

- I purposely left that story out as I didn't think anyone would believe me! But it is true.

Clive invited me to his big day and I said I would be there. Then I said I wouldn't as I was up against it. Then I talk myself into it (if the truth was know I couldn't turn down something free from Clive.....) So I said screw it, let do it. Thought it was to get AA cover on my 1.4 Honda Civic as Clive seems to live the otherside of the world and was looking forward to catching up with N.O.S. I even bought a new shirt for goodness sake!

I text Neil on the Friday to say I would everyone in the morning. Set off from Dorset early to beat the M25 traffic. Got onto the M25 near Terminal 5 and BANG the gear box went - just about managed to cross all the lanes of the M25 and got to the hard shoulder.

At that point, I didn't know if to laugh or cry - so I did both.

- the AA guy was nice. He even said WOW a free drink out of Clive..............now that is rare.

Sorry about that Clive.

Set off from Dorset early to beat the M25 traffic. Got onto the M25 near Terminal 5 and BANG the gear box went - just about managed to cross all the lanes of the M25 and got to the hard shoulder.

Begs the question - What were you doing in the outside lane of the M25 in a 1.4 Honda Civic? Didn't it recommend in the user manual to exercise caution when overtaking?

I bet those tappets were going up and down like a fiddlers elbow...........

- I purposely left that story out as I didn't think anyone would believe me! But it is true.

Clive invited me to his big day and I said I would be there. Then I said I wouldn't as I was up against it. Then I talk myself into it (if the truth was know I couldn't turn down something free from Clive.....) So I said screw it, let do it. Thought it was to get AA cover on my 1.4 Honda Civic as Clive seems to live the otherside of the world and was looking forward to catching up with N.O.S. I even bought a new shirt for goodness sake!

I text Neil on the Friday to say I would everyone in the morning. Set off from Dorset early to beat the M25 traffic. Got onto the M25 near Terminal 5 and BANG the gear box went - just about managed to cross all the lanes of the M25 and got to the hard shoulder.

At that point, I didn't know if to laugh or cry - so I did both.

- the AA guy was nice. He even said WOW a free drink out of Clive..............now that is rare.

Sorry about that Clive.

Just shows you don't listen to me, how many times have I warned you about Jap crap:banghead:

Hirohito's revenge:saluting: and to echo Clive ....what the hell were you doing in the outside lane of the M25, the only way to make progress there is a steady 20mph in a Sherman on the hard shoulder.:drive: Some people never learn, any way as the crow flies from there to Suffolk it shouldn't have been more than half an hour for you, if you can walk on water emulating a crow should be a piece of p..s :rofl:

After Beltring I am slowly reading the forums postings and only just see this topic.

I more or less heard it through the grapevine at Beltring.

What can I say?

It SUCKS what happened to you. Having had some bad luck in my life (like everybody else) I realise words don't help much.

Still I want to say good luck and take care mate.

Let me know if I can help.

Olaf

Sorry to hear your woes mate - I suspect it won't be the last one where a forum member ends up eating the dust.

On the bright side - can't get any lower so the only way is up from this moment on.

To recite some muppetry words some silly geezer said to me once:

Don't want what you haven't got -

Long for what you want to aspire too.

Sounds familiar.

Markheliops

Jack,

As always, am on the end of the phone for some inane banter and down to earth talking.

You'll be back, bigger and wiser than before, now get some "me time" to sort your head out.

Laters

Keith