Loyd Carrier

ajmac

We have organised to take two Land Rovers with plant trailers so we are well in with the weight limits. Two ferry tickets and some fuel turns out to be much cheaper than truck hire and the extra ferry charge. Plus Jenni has never been to Mainland Europe before so she is looking forward to the adventure.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take the camera when I go, for sure.

I thought I'd point people to the 'transport' heading as my 3.5 tonne plant trailer that a friend uses to move bits of Universal Carriers around is out of commission at the moment (found out yesterday) so I'll need to find another. Will phone around today and get some quotes.

I surprised that Loyd carrier turned up.

Your right again Steve:D The guy has told me that he recovered both chassis from a range in Belgium over the winter, it is still a live range and he only had 1-2 days every 20 to do the recovery so it took a couple on months in total! Will get the exact details when I go over and meet him.

We have organised to take two Land Rovers with plant trailers so we are well in with the weight limits.

All change! They are being brought back as a part load now, MUCH cheaper, thanks Dad.

T Number?

It seems that even with a complete vehicle tracking down the T number is difficult.... what are the chances of doing so with the Loyds? Apparently there is a chassis number on one of the front chassis rails (another Loyd owner told me this) but weather this is the T number as was stamped on the hull plate (in front of the driver) I don't know. I guess it could just be a Ford chassis number.

Is saw that one Loyd has still it's engine and transfer case. Assuming it's the original engine you could tell more about the Loyd. If I remenbered correctly the differnet types of Loyd used different types of engine. Is there perhaps also a speedo cable still attached to the engine. Als this can tell something about the type. Last but not least you could have a look at the bogie wheels. These have dates on them. If 5 of the 8 are marked one perticular date then the chances are high this would be the manufacturing date. Do you have more pictures of the Loyd? I used to own a Loyd and studied the different types a lot so perhaps I can have a look at it.

Br,

Roland

This is the Loyd when it was first seen at The Myrton Motor Musem in East Lothian c.1985.

I will post some more of this horror story later.

Caption contest.

After realising how rusty it was he became fysically sick...bleeeeerrrkkk.:-D

I agree, it is much better to start with a more or less complete machine, but as the years progress it becomes more and more difficult. I am in contact with a Loyd owner in Holland who is in the middle of a full restoration, his starting vehicle was in mint condition (even has the hood sticks)... for a vehicle which has sat outside for decades. However even though every wartime hull panel is present not ONE can be used in the restoration due to corrosion. Once all the usable parts were seperated from the 'scrap' all he had left was the chassis and running gear, he reckons the two I aquired amount to about the same as he ended up with. The big problem is patterns, as I have no upper hull, however as the chap in Holland has offered to make drawings for me from his 'scrap' pile I am in luck.

Loyds are so simple, there isn't a weld or rivet on the whole structure!

it might sound funny but that looks like a really good restorable project when compared with what's left to go at these days, god help the poor buggars that want to get into restoring mv's 20 years from now but they'll still get into it you know and they'll turn rust into mv's it'll just cost them more and take longer. i often think that those guys 20 years ago had it better than us and it's right they did but the reallity is you have to get what's available to you now so alastair's knackered loyd chassis might look like a fools errand to some but in 20 years time someone will say "lucky bastard finding such complete carriers to start with i wish i'd have been round back then". :-)

eddy

i hadn't thought of the spares availability like that adrian. i'll tell you what else you didn't have as well, the biggest tool of all (not me). the internet and thru it this forum without these things i wouldn't have been able to convert so much of my money so quickly into 40 odd tons of historic rust :D

eddy