Loyd Carrier

ajmac

i hadn't thought of the spares availability like that adrian. i'll tell you what else you didn't have as well, the biggest tool of all (not me). the internet and thru it this forum without these things i wouldn't have been able to convert so much of my money so quickly into 40 odd tons of historic rust :D

eddy

Isn't that the truth! I think that has made an enormous difference.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrian Barrell

Isn't that the truth! I think that has made an enormous difference.

Yes the internet and electronic communication has been a benefit but to put the converse point of view- the internet is rightly accessable to everyone world wide and has probably been the a major cause of price inflation in historic vehicles, as one major importer/dealer put it back in 2000 when trying to recover some central American wrecks -

"suddenly the sellers were aware of the value of their vehicles -willfully oblivious that the price they had seen on the internet refers to a restored runner in a western country as opposed to the often trackless engineless rotting hulk stuck in a jungle miles from adequate transport facilities. So suddenly the price of the hulk is the same as a restored vehicle, added to which transport costs quadruple because the transport guys are also aware of how valubable it will be to the to the rich gringo - end result the vehicle stays in the jungle."

I think you did, and hanno included the hot link to the original thread.

Hanno, stop it! I told you they are going to be run of the mill TT or TPCs:D Although they would have been TTs in Belgian army service..... TPCs have better seating.... for the odd Dutch man and the like:cool2:

The chassis was really grim, looking back I must have been insane.

You were, if you remember I was doing my Antar in your yard at the time, much preffered 24 tons of easy restoration rather than your 3-4 tons of complete rust to start with. It was a credit to your skill and determination !!!

Both loaded onto the transport yesterday.

The bent chassis was cut to allow packing for shipment, as I'll be fabricating new chassis rails anyway I told the seller it was fine, offload is organised at the farm.

Loyd_loading_2010.jpg

didnt I post those some months ago from the official source books?

Yes you did, and as Alistair said I included a link to your thread. Don't you think Alistair is obliged to the HMVF community to build one of those 2-pdr SPGs?!? :D

Edited by mcspool

Hanno, stop it! I told you they are going to be run of the mill TT or TPCs:D Although they would have been TTs in Belgian army service..... TPCs have better seating.... for the odd Dutch man and the like:cool2:

TT, TPC, SPG, whatever, as long as you get cracking once that truck delivers your booty at the farm! :D;)

ajmac

TPCs have better seating.... for the odd Dutch man and the like:cool2:

Now now, I know the Loyd had a volume capacity problem but you might give Hanno a weight complex:-D.

Good to hear the project is moving along if you are rebuilding them as a pair then it probably be as well to complete them as a T/T and a limber which is possibly the use that befell TPCs. Good luck with them and have fun.

Steve

It all went well and the chassis are at the Farm in Lincoln. Photographic proof below. It was a job and a half to get them off loaded, they weigh a hell of a lot! If anyone can suggest means of ID I'd be greatful. I will be sending the photos to a friend in Holland who is a Loyd guru, so we will see.

They both have 1943 and 1944 dates on them although as brake drums are a consumable that may not be the best source if ID, the 1943 date I found on the bogies. So they could well be 1943 manufacture - more proof required. Both have the high towing uprights as the back so they may be both TTs (Tracked Towing). When they were turned over in the yard, I was happy to find that all of the control gear was still in place, bent, but all in place, even wiring and some wood remaining on the tiller hand grips.

Although my friend Jon who did the tractor driving looks worried, he was trying to work out how to get the heavy lump across the yard to the storage area without tipping the tractor over (we dragged it on a pallet in the end)! They are now in the long grass, just like they were in Belgium for 40 years. Oh, I did clean up an Engine ID plate which stated it had been rebuilt in 1963, so the Belgian army used Loyds for a LONG time! I have the 'Bullet' proof 7mm plate from the front of both vehicles, but it didn't prove very bullet proof on the range :-) I presume they meant small arms, when they wrote the manual.

I also found the hull support brackets were present in some cases, all be it bent down inside the chassis.

Loyd_me.jpg

InLongGrass.jpg

Date_Drum.jpg

V8_ID.jpg

Loyd_Jon.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...