Cam net

chevpol

Question

Hi folks,

is there a manual to enable you to put up cam net correctly? I want to use a net for my own display (to cover trailer an poss landy) and as I dont want to look like a prat putting one up I thought that I would ask the collective brain cell on here

TTFN

Mark

17 answers to this question

No real manual as such, the nets are put up with experience and demonstration etc. The main thing to remember about nets are they should be up off the vehicle not draped over the vehicle or equipment so that it is same shape and looks like a rover wrapped in net.

The vehicle itself should also be scrimmed or draped in hessian or similar (depending on period, some went from a canvas type hessian to a grey plastic then brown plastic, also the terrain it is in will affect the amount or density of cam). Likewise the 'shiny' bits should be scrimmed up -headlights, reflectors, windscreens and windows etc. The vehicle should have cam draped to the floor so that you cannot see it's shape at all or look through or under it.

All of the above if done properly should effectively hide or break up the vehicle with absorption of shadow and shape into a disrupted pattern blending in with it's surroundings. Unfortunately for a military show or event the public would not be able to see what you are showing (at all, if done correctly) so adoption of an overhead and maybe 2 or 3 sided drape cam above and around the vehicle -intended to break up shape from above etc - might be more useful. Use of cam [poles ranging from large natural wooden poles to mushroom basket topped aluminium poles and ones with (what looks like) plastic table tennis bats on top of the poles are used to raise the nets above and off the vehicle. Other issued kit was the 'cambrella' which sat above an anti tank gun or over a mortar pit -again all of the former dependent on era you are representing.

There are some army films around showing the process- from WW2 all the way to modern day and desert terrain etc. Depending on net size lay it over the vehicle etc and loosely pull it out and away from the corners and sides. peg down edges, remembering to leave a bit for entrance/exit. push up poles from sides or middle of vehicle until it is a couple of feet off top etc and in an irregular peaked pattern (2 or 3 peaks) this should be sufficient. a couple of links here showing what I mean http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.operations.mod.uk/veritas/img/veritas/45cdogp/arty_firing01.jpg

http://kiwisinarmour.hobbyvista.com/images/camnet.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/cam%20net%20vehicles/steve82_01/cammed-upsunny.jpg

http://www.history.army.mil/photos/gulf_war/017_14.jpg

Hope this helps

Gary

Edited by gazzaw
new links

is there a manual to enable you to put up cam net correctly?

Mark, there were a series of Military Training Pamphlets produced in WW2 many of which covered Camouflage. Camo nets are covered in No. 26, 46 Parts 1, 2, 4 & 6.

There is also some coverage in Concealment in the Field 1957 WO Code No. 9459

Mark, there were a series of Military Training Pamphlets produced in WW2 many of which covered Camouflage. Camo nets are covered in No. 26, 46 Parts 1, 2, 4 & 6.

There is also some coverage in Concealment in the Field 1957 WO Code No. 9459

You need a canvas or hessian cover about the same size as the cam net under it take the cente of the truck or whatever and pin out the corners then using poles(not allowed to use saplings any more ) raise the net ect into a bush/scrub shape bringing in the pegs to suit. Remember you have to walk around inside 24X24 will do a 1 tonney

hope tis helps

Also remember to leave a "garage door" at the front, where the vehicle can be driven out. When I was in the Army we used to do this. You can roll up the net in front of the vehicle and drive it out. They used to test how good ours was by bugging us out in the middle of the night. You can't escape if you have hessian and cam net all over the vehicle and can't see where your going..:D

I have a cam net that's big enough to cover a DROPS and load.

Hi folks,

is there a manual to enable you to put up cam net correctly? I want to use a net for my own display (to cover trailer an poss landy) and as I dont want to look like a prat putting one up I thought that I would ask the collective brain cell on here

TTFN

Mark

Hi Mark, had a idea. Why dont we have a get together and have a test run on setting up nets in plenty of space (did not want to try at Smallwood for making a fool of myself)!! Get a mate or two with same idea and drink/BBQ to our sucess of failure. Offers on.

Andy. P.S. Will post pics. of event.:D

Hi Mark, had a idea. Why dont we have a get together and have a test run on setting up nets in plenty of space (did not want to try at Smallwood for making a fool of myself)!! Get a mate or two with same idea and drink/BBQ to our sucess of failure. Offers on.

Andy. P.S. Will post pics. of event.:D

sounds like a plan!!!!!

where and when though?

Mark

Hi, where no prob. plenty of space to play with. Date? the next weekend we have no event on ???

Andy.

ok mate, I take it at yours? Will have to think about free weekend tho!!!

A saturday would be preferable I think, bbq etc?

Mark

Did you shrink the net in the wash? A bit more net perhaps.

Heres one from the Bunker Bash for comparison quite effective.

However I then thought this is not quite right, so 5 minutes in photoshop and the Land Rover was sort of replaced by your similar one.

However I thought this was not quite as effective. Is he going along the right lines.:-D

So I had a quick go at work today did not have access to any nets though so I di a bit of lateral thinking and came up with another option. Quite good from above I would expect but it has a slight drawback when it comes to load space.

Anyway keep trying I am sure it is one of those things that take trial, error and abit of practice to get the desired effect.

Mike

camo4.jpg

camo3.jpg

camo1.jpg

camo2.jpg

Did you shrink the net in the wash? A bit more net perhaps.

Heres one from the Bunker Bash for comparison quite effective.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28225[/ATTACH]

However I then thought this is not quite right, so 5 minutes in photoshop and the Land Rover was sort of replaced by your similar one.

However I thought this was not quite as effective. Is he going along the right lines.:-D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28229[/ATTACH]

So I had a quick go at work today did not have access to any nets though so I di a bit of lateral thinking and came up with another option. Quite good from above I would expect but it has a slight drawback when it comes to load space.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28230[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28231[/ATTACH]

Anyway keep trying I am sure it is one of those things that take trial, error and abit of practice to get the desired effect.

Mike

:rofl::rofl::rofl:lol!!!! that net is a small one I have had lying around for a while (over 25 years I think!!) I do have a bigger one that will cover the trailer and my 109

Love the yellow one!!!!

Mark

Edited by chevpol

Tankie88 showed me how to cam up the Scorp and we put the vehicle cover on first to prevent the net snagging. Once the net was on we put poles up (with the basket things) to make the outline a bit more random and then took out the cover. Disassembly was, as they say, the reverse of assembly. Bungees stretched to the pegs allowed the net to find its own tension. Looked good when it was finished.

Tankie88 showed me how to cam up the Scorp and we put the vehicle cover on first to prevent the net snagging. Once the net was on we put poles up (with the basket things) to make the outline a bit more random and then took out the cover. Disassembly was, as they say, the reverse of assembly. Bungees stretched to the pegs allowed the net to find its own tension. Looked good when it was finished.

Shouldn't that be couldn't see whether it looked good or not?