Churchill gate guardian Castlemartin

antar

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! You only have to ask on HMVF:D

Lets hope it had some rear drain plugs, if not I'll bet water accumulated under the gearbox and at the back of the fighting compartment....just started reading the book 'Mr Churchill's Tank', well worth it.

Edited by ajmac

Great! You only have to ask on HMVF:D

Lets hope it had some rear drain plugs, if not I'll bet water accumulated under the gearbox and at the back of the fighting compartment....just started reading the book 'Mr Churchill's Tank', well worth it.

Several belly plates were out but it was still only a mile from the Atlantic for 50+ years so lower details are mostly brown and very flakey!

Bild1965.jpg

Castlemartin: Camp MERRION, die Unterkünfte des Panzerbataillon 123

Dated 1965.

castlemartin.jpg

Thanks for posting. If I send you a PM, can you let me have a good copy of the pic? By the way, if you google "Panzers in Wales" on Pathe News you get a bit of movie of it in the background of a visit by German officers in 1961. Film also includes a less lucky brother well on the way to being destroyed by gunfire on the range.

Talking about gateguards, is the Comet still outside Lulworth Camp?
It was not there last year it been replaced by a warrior

I thought it was a Cent that was replaced by the Warrior, don't seeing remember a Comet the last few times I've been past - or am I getting confused?

Thanks for posting. If I send you a PM, can you let me have a good copy of the pic? By the way, if you google "Panzers in Wales" on Pathe News you get a bit of movie of it in the background of a visit by German officers in 1961. Film also includes a less lucky brother well on the way to being destroyed by gunfire on the range.

Found them on t'internet mate, so that's the best I can do! Just Google imaged Castlemartin & that's what came up. I've tried every permutation of search terms, but that's been it!

Sorry for dragging this one back up but I removed the Cheiftain that was sat down town into the port a couple of years ago with my CRARRV.

Me and my crew were covering the annual firing camp with our CR2 sqn (A Sqn, 1 RTR) when the odd request came in for a recovery job. Its not very often we get the chance to do some serious mileage on public roads but that drive from ther camp gates into town was awesome, until we meet a milk tanker driver!!

The Cheify was winched off its resting place then towed up to the port to be collected another day by the HET guys. The rumours where it was going to be put up as a gate guard in camp but Im not sure it ever did. The main reason for it being removed from town was someone had complained that it was dripping oil and the council wanted it gone to avoid paying for the clean up?

What would have been the chances of this happening without this forum? - well done to all concerned

Slightly (?!) off thread, but apparently, when the Panzers arrived in Wales my Dad's Land Rover got tangled up in the convoy (he was on holiday in Pembrokeshire at the time!) and was featured in the news reels of the day - it would be nice to see if the footage still exists!

Sorry for dragging this one back up but I removed the Cheiftain that was sat down town into the port a couple of years ago with my CRARRV.

Me and my crew were covering the annual firing camp with our CR2 sqn (A Sqn, 1 RTR) when the odd request came in for a recovery job. Its not very often we get the chance to do some serious mileage on public roads but that drive from ther camp gates into town was awesome, until we meet a milk tanker driver!!

The Cheify was winched off its resting place then towed up to the port to be collected another day by the HET guys. The rumours where it was going to be put up as a gate guard in camp but Im not sure it ever did. The main reason for it being removed from town was someone had complained that it was dripping oil and the council wanted it gone to avoid paying for the clean up?

There is a cheify and a leo gate guards at castle martian camp at present may its the same one it looks tidy

Al

The official handover ceremony for the chassis plate will take place next Saturday morning at War & Peace.

John Riley, custodian of the plate for the last 20 odd years !!!

Great news I have been involed with John Pearson in the recovery untill I broke my ankle a few weeks ago it will be a great day when the plate is returned to it thankyou John R for looking after the plate and returning it the whole story should be writen down and post here it will make good reading there has been a few twists and turns and problems over come to get it saved it will now start a long restoration to a running state.

Alec

John......the sea wasn't kind to it was it. From my experiance of stripping and rebuilding engines that have been outside of decades that flat 12 is going to be the real problem, at least two cylinders are going to be rather rusty. That is only if water was able to get in via the exhaust or inlet ducts. What are Churchill NOS engine parts like to come by?

You can properly asses when it's out in the workshop....

Winston_Engine.jpg

Edited by ajmac