my new mk 1 carrier

eddy8men

Steve, I.ve never heard of them having gearbox problems. They're a standard Ford 4 speed box. Incidentally the cluster gear (countershaft) 1st, 2nd,3rd gear (mainshaft) and the reverse idler, as well as other parts are common also to the New process gearboxes found in the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 1/2 ton Dodge trucks

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Bluebell- I am making an assumption that the drive train (transmission) of the U/C was under stress by an un-governed motor hence its use to protect it - rather than the motor itself- or why bother with a smaller capacity unit at all. I hope you will agree that the drive train of a tracked vehicle is a very different environment than that of a 1/2 -3/4 1-1.5 ton truck:D

Steve, They were governed by way of a rev limiting governor built into the carb.( or with a separate one between the carb and manifold in later carriers) While trying not to offend anyone, I'd say the resistance was to do with the British way thinking. Everything was under powered then,and they were making do as with everything else, at the time. Having stepped up to the 85 hp. from 60 hp. the bureaucratic mind wasn't ready to make another step up.

The engines had their work cut out, with 4 ton plus, no wonder they were lucky to get 3000 miles out of them.

I'd agree with that. The Flathead was way under powered for a 4 ton vehicle, imagine buying a 4 tonne 4x4 today which had an 85BHP engine! I would want to put a 2 in front of that 85 :D

I work in a big engineering firm, so have a feel of the mind set..... We did all the type testing based on a 60BHP motor, we haven't the time or money to do it all again with an uprated motor so the easy option if to limit it, that we way be can pass the design review!

you bobby dazzler ! nice one, i hadn't realised jack had got the blasting done this week :D all we need now is for colin to nail a bit of armour on and we're up and running, martyn's got the engine running sweet and the gearbox is also done now, so i'd best get me finger out me arse and get a rad from somewhere and i can get it moving under it's own steam. happy days !!!

eddy/rick

ps for those that are wondering why bob called me rick, it's actually my real name, eddy 8men was my old army nickname, but you can call me anything as long as it's not dick

you bobby dazzler ! nice one, i hadn't realised jack had got the blasting done this week :D all we need now is for colin to nail a bit of armour on and we're up and running, martyn's got the engine running sweet and the gearbox is also done now, so i'd best get me finger out me arse and get a rad from somewhere and i can get it moving under it's own steam. happy days !!!

eddy/rick

ps for those that are wondering why bob called me rick, it's actually my real name, eddy 8men was my old army nickname, but you can call me anything as long as it's not dick

Looked good when I saw it this morning!

hi mogmaner

i don't have a pic of the rad but it's a distinctive looking beast so it'll be easy to spot, the engine is a ford flathead v8 so the rad has 2 inlet pipes in the bottom and 2 outlet pipes in the top with the filler cap in the middle, the dimensions are w 500mm, h 800mm and 100mm deep if you spot anything like that you can get hold of me on 07970828122. cheers.

hi andy

is that your ferret at bob's place or were you on the scrounge, might take a trip up there tomorrow and take the steering column off for a refurb while i'm there.

all the best

eddy

thanks john

i went today to look for a rad for the carrier but no joy, however if you know what to look for there are some real bargains to be had from the classic car lads, trouble is i don't know what i'm looking for yet but i'm learning fast.

eddy

thanks john

i went today to look for a rad for the carrier but no joy, however if you know what to look for there are some real bargains to be had from the classic car lads, trouble is i don't know what i'm looking for yet but i'm learning fast.

eddy

Here's what your looking for Rick.

Can rad rear.jpg

bren 021.jpg

Carrier rad non tropical can..jpg

TL COU1C 3 42 rad.jpg

rad general veiw can..jpg

thanks bluebell

those are some great pics, just what i needed but would you do me another favour ? there's an old boy local to me that can make a new rad for £400 as long as i supply him with pics and dimensions, you've given me the pics can you also give me the dimensions. cheers

i owe you a pint

eddy

Hi eddy

heres some pictures of your carrier for the rest of the crowd to look at , as you can see, you now have some of the replacement parts in situ but i still need the location dimensions of the drivers viewing slot , may be some one out there can help?

Your new lower back panel has also been marotten sections of the floor.

When you pop over to bobs can you bring with you the two hinges for the front triangular top armour section TA!

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

hi colin

you've let the cat out the bag now mate, i was gonna tell everyone i did it all by myself in my spare time, never mind :D, you're doing a great job there mate and thanks for posting the pics for us, last time i saw it it was lying on it's side half blasted looking rusty and unloved, i'm coming up on friday to strip out the steering and brake controls, sorry but i can't come before that as the other half has insisted i do a little bit of parenting before the kids go back to school, you know how it is, family getting in the way of quality carrier time:D

see you on friday

eddy

Not to rain on the parade, but how are you going to blend that patch into the front armour? The armour on carriers has a sort of "grain" to the surface, so the steel patch you are welding in will not match the armour surrounding it.

Your carrier is taking shape nicely though and I look forward to seeing more progress. Keep it up chaps!! :-D

the patch is on the floorpan on the drivers side so i doubt if anyone will notice and even if they do i'm sure i'll be able to live with it. i know there's a lot of purists out there but it aint going in a museum, i just want to get the old girl up and running and then fine tune things as they come up, i've got the v8 now and man it sounds sweet can't wait to get it in the carrier and take it for a spin :D

all the best

eddy

the patch is on the floorpan on the drivers side so i doubt if anyone will notice and even if they do i'm sure i'll be able to live with it. i know there's a lot of purists out there but it aint going in a museum, i just want to get the old girl up and running and then fine tune things as they come up, i've got the v8 now and man it sounds sweet can't wait to get it in the carrier and take it for a spin :D

all the best

eddy

I think they mean the patch where the drivers vision slot should be ..... not the floor

John.

Interesting to read your progress.

What voltage will you finish the carrier in? A friend of mine has his done in 12volt and i had him fit an electronic ignition which totally changed the way it runs. They are avaialble off the shelf here. I can go bug him for info if required.

R