my new mk 1 carrier

eddy8men

The Bedford Boys

Not to rain on the parade, but how are you going to blend that patch into the front armour? The armour on carriers has a sort of "grain" to the surface, so the steel patch you are welding in will not match the armour surrounding it.

At least it doesn't have the "ripple" effect seen on some British BP armour- but really there isn't an alternative, although a lot of the "grain" would be lost in sand blasting.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi fella's

bedford boys i know what you mean now with regard to the "striations" on the armour surface which has puzzled me since i noticed them. they are all straight lines about 2 inches long all in the same direction on the surface does anyone know why these marks are on the armour ?

hi robin

the carrier will run on 12 volts using the original ignition system and seems to run really sweet but the engine has only just been overhauled so i'll have to wait to see what it's like after a few hard miles have been done but i doubt i'll need to revamp the ignition but i'm definately in favour of reliability over originality within reason so the electronic ignition could be an option. i'm also going to put a modern electric fan with shroud on the rad aswell as the fan mounted on the dynamo, to give better cooling but also because i don't have the parts to do it the original way unless they come up in the meantime. i'll get some pics of the engine and various other bits on the thread tomorrow.

all the best

eddy

Ahh yes... Flathead V8. There are very few engines I have heard that beat the sound of a flathead. Are you going to run it with the mufflers or just pipes? My vote is for pipes!!

Yes I did mean the front armour. Those "slashes" I think may be part of a straightening process for the armour plate, but I have no evidence to back this up.

Perhaps Bluebell or Mr Barrell can shed some light on the subject?

yeah sounds about right, maybe the 'slashes' come from a roller that the armour went through while it was rolled flat at the foundry ?

i hadn't thought about not putting mufflers on but it makes sense,especially as someone told me that because the mufflers are mounted vertically they only last a couple of years unless they're stainless, i'm also going to put a k&n air filter on until i can find the real thing, carrier/hotrod sounds good to me, i might even put some go faster stripes on it :cool2:

all the best

eddy

Yes I did mean the front armour. Those "slashes" I think may be part of a straightening process for the armour plate, but I have no evidence to back this up.

Perhaps Bluebell or Mr Barrell can shed some light on the subject?

I too believe them to be witness marks from the straightening.

hi fella's

just thought i'd post a few pics of the engine and a few other bits.

the engine is the ford flathead v8 which delivers 85bhp from just under 4L capacity, not great by modern standards but enough to get the old girl from A to B. this particular engine came from my fordson wot6 along with another scrap block and was refurbed by another carrier owner, martyn tasker

eddy

pencil.png

jack pics 004.jpg

jack pics 003.jpg

jack pics 002.jpg

jack pics 005.jpg

Edited by eddy8men

the gearbox was bought from george and harry sanders in urmston who own a t16 aswell as a few other vehicles and are easy guys to deal with. before i bought the box i was told it was in great condition and had been saved for their own carrier should they need it, so i was expecting something in a crate wrapped in grease proof paper (bit optimistic) so when they turned up with a dirty oily lump i was a bit disappointed but true to their word it was in great condition after a bit of a clean. the box came with a hydraulic pump which was removed along with the other fittings i didn't need, it was then stripped down and cleaned which was very simple as these old gearboxes have no baulk rings or cones just simple crash gears. once it was cleaned i reassembled it and fitted the flanged dish at the output side and the correct gear selector mechanism and it's now ready for a coat of paint and fitting

eddy

jack pics 011.jpg

jack pics 010.jpg

British army pre war and wartime motors and gearboxes etc should be a pale green colour -eau de nil (water of the nile in English- strange because I believe the nile is muddy brown:nut:) I believe the pale green colour is favourite because it shows oil leeks whereas black does not. However I've seen photos of transmissions in black.

Your gearbox looks like it was on the end of a tractor -the paint looks very like an old leyand (the paint company not the truck manufacturer) colour for tractors

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition in italiques

British army pre war and wartime motors and gearboxes etc should be a pale green colour -eau de nil (water of the nile in English- strange because I believe the nile is muddy brown:nut:) I believe the pale green colour is favourite because it shows oil leeks whereas black does not. However I've seen photos of transmissions in black. Your gearbox looks like it was on the end of a tractor -the paint looks very like an old leyand (the paint company not the truck manufacturer) colour for tractors

Steve

Steve,

Eau-de-nil was normally used on rebuilds, during the War on vehicle engines. From the factory, different manufacturers used, black, grey, basic vehicle colour (ie olive drab, matt green, brown, etc.), etc.

Eddy,

If you are using the WOT6 engine, the starter and dynamo would have been 12 volt ones. Just a thought in case you were not aware, as Fords are usually thought of being 6 volt.

Richard

hi fella's

did a bit of work on the carrier the other day so i thought i would put up a few pics of the job so far

well to be fair i actually stood around chatting or as i like to call it "networking" and colin did most of the work but my time will come as it should be ready to drag back home next week.

so i was thinking the other day just how much have i spent so far.

buy it £5500

ship it £3700

blast & prime £210

welding & fab £600

engine rebiuld £800

steering box £200

gear box £100

misc £225

total £11335

so that's where all my money went, it's no wonder i'm skint but then again it's only money :-D

all the best

eddy

uc 050.JPG

uc 048.JPG

uc 052.JPG

uc 051.JPG

• 8 months later...

things have been moving along with the carrier especially as it's due to go to salisbury plain at the end of the month for some filming so that's given me the incentive to get it done. the engine and box went in 2 weeks ago and the steering and brake linkages should be done this week along with the new rad and oil cooler so it might be moving under it's own steam next week but don't anyone go holding their breath as these things seem to take about 10 times longer than i think it will but come hell or high water it needs to be done for the 21st may or my names gonna be mud. i'm going to work on the carrier this thursday so i'll put up some more pics then as these were taken a while ago.

the last pic is the upgraded engine ready to go in :cool2:

eddy

009.JPG

008.JPG

crom37.JPG

Bob will be pleased you call him a young lad! :D

I still think I am 32..........

Probably the reason I don't stick photos on the furum is because there is always some-one

or clever Dick who has to make a comment about what I have or not done...... Mr Barrell !

Tis indeed looking well on the way mate, that road well rubber looks sharp, are they the best of the bunch or were you lucky to have the originals in such good nick? See you have the 21 stud installed, is that a temporary measure or did you have a change of heart in the end... I have done a total of big fat zero in the last 7 days. Where is the big roll out going to be for the Carrier?