FOX CVRW - a few questions

markbg

Question

Hi,

I've just bought a really good condition CVRW adn am pleased with it but Im not sure about the power sterring and the direction chnage level on the left side of the cab.

The power steering works but seems stiff and makes quite a whining noise when turned - there doesnt seem to be a problem but I was wondering if anyone has driven one and knows this is the correct feeling for it?

The lever on the left side of the cab which selects forward and reverese is also awkward - I'm in neutral but when I try and move the lever back or forward it rarely slips in - I have to switch the engine off first and then move the lever..this doesnt sound right to me?

Any help would be appreciated as Im new at this!

thanks

Mark

9 answers to this question

re fowd/reversre lever - yes you have misunderstood.

If you get the lever in neutral when the engine is running you must ALWAYS switch off the engine and re engage either forward or reverse (whichever was the one it was in previously) before restarting the engine, never try to re-engage forward/reverse from neutral with a running engine, this will damage things badly.

the normal procedure (the same as Ferret or any of these pre selects) is to move the lever fully from forward to reverse (or vice versa) in one continuous rapid but smooth operation without pausing at the neutral spot. The vehcile should be stationery and the engine running at low (ie at or very near idle) revs only, (if you have problems your rev setting maybe too high)

(some people advocate pressing the GCP at the same time so that the pedal is fully depressed at the exact point in time that you are about to engage the new range, however, this is regarded by others as the sloppy way of doing it as it does cause some additional wear to the bands and is unecessary if the correct conditons are in place to start with)

sorry I can't help with steering diagnosis but that does not sound right to me, mine is free moving and essentially silent from lock to lock

Hi Mark,

What is the army registration number of your Fox? I may have some info on it.

Noisy power steering suggests it needs bleeding, air in the system can make some funny noises. Check the fluid level, this is the little black tank behind the gunners seat, there is a dip stick in the cap.

To bleed the system you need to lift the front wheels off the ground, start the engine and operate the steering wheel from lock to lock with the bleed nipple on the steering column open.

I hope this helps,

Chris

hi - thanks for the replies - ill try and bleed the power steering i hope that works otherwise its going to be costly to replace!

I haven't got the original military plates as yet but were tracking them down - I'll let you know when i get them

I have got the original manuals so ill have a read through - thanks for tips tho ill try that this weekend

- one other question is the power steering a servo affair like modern power steering?

Don't forget it does not use Power Steering Fluid... can't remember what grade oil it uses off hand but it should be in your manual....

It uses engine oil, so 10W/30 should do the trick.

Oh & another tip... NEVER use BRAKE FLUID in your brake circuit... it will cost you a small fortune if you do...

great advice :) Ill remeber not to

I tried driving today so I just wanted to check this was right

the right hand gear lever is selected as second gear, i drop off the revs and then pull back the left hand forward/reverse lever to select reverse in one quick motion? This seems to work ok but just wondering if Im changing the forward/reverse positions that I should leave the right hand gear selector in a gear and not in neutral?

Ill try bleeding the power sterring this weekend ;)

thanks

just wondering if Im changing the forward/reverse positions that I should leave the right hand gear selector in a gear and not in neutral?

whilst you are learning it might be better to leave the gear selection lever in whatever gear is actually engaged at the time so you do not make the mistake of having neutral engaged on the box but the selector indicating a gear is selected :nut:, however, if driving on the road then the sooner you master the idea of having the selector lever at the position of the next gear you will want to use, rather than the one it is actually in, then you will appreciate the full benefits of the pre select driving experience :D

once you master it you can easily check what gear is actually engaged on the box by feeling the position of the GCP with your foot rather than relying on the selector position, ie pedal flat to the floor means box is engaged in neutral, up a tad means a gear is engaged.