Number plates

paul connor

Ok, We all have Civvi ones, as well as the show Military ones, are there any products available that would enable you to slide your second set over the others? so perhaps a channel you slide your show plates into that fix over your civvi ones?

I cant seem to find anything but would be a great idea and save messing around

Paul

You can buy a pair of clips - like spring clips - to quick change plates on trailers - we have them on two of ours and with a plate in place they can hardly be seen . Might something like that do for you ? Would imagine most trailer spares dealers would have them available - e bay might be worth a look too .

I have just seen what you mean,

the only down side I can see is that it enables your plates to be stolen really, I was hoping someone would make a product that mounts to the plates on the vehicle but provides a channel around the sides and bottom meaning you could slide the show plates in front and they would sit tight in a channel, if they dont make it could be an idea to think about how to fabricate some, as it would mean you could slip the Mil reg over your Civvi one,yet keeping your original plates secure to the vehicle..

Velcro is an idea, but I greenlane a fair bit as well as using the 110 quite hard so I would be worried they would fall off, as I would have to have both sets on velcro. Also as they are £40 a set its a risk I would rather not take.. So lets get to the drawing board with my idea i think:)

Proper industrial Velcro should never fall off, it's incredibly strong for that sort of application (ie sticking a flat plane to another flat plane). I used to regularly stick heavy bits of IT kit to vertical surfaces inside rack cabinets and never had a problem, even with a metal plate it'd be sure to stay on. If anything I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get them off again!

Stone

Paul

I have had the same problem on my Series 3 (at present being worked on) the guy who is working on it has sorted this problem as we were trying to work out the same for my landy, he had some old window frames from a caravan which is bigger enough to take civvie plates and military plates in the same channel, and will be painting them black or green depending on the pattern on the vehicle and is mounting/riviting them to the bodywork so I have to do is slide the military plates in and out when needed and helps keeps the civvie plates in situ as well. When I can get up there I can take some pics and post if its any help.

Mark

Ok, We all have Civvi ones, as well as the show Military ones, are there any products available that would enable you to slide your second set over the others? so perhaps a channel you slide your show plates into that fix over your civvi ones?

I cant seem to find anything but would be a great idea and save messing around

Paul

Paul, What about a pair of simple Roundheaded (Coach) Bolts & a pair of BRASS wingnuts? I use these on the RL & have never had a prob!

Mike.

I ran my old (Darling Buds) Chevrolet for years with the number plates just painted on, front and back.

Black rectangle, white numerals of requisite size, cross-section, and clarity - never had a problem.

Is this still legal, as I'm sure it used to be, although there may be age limits to it?

Gordon

Hi everyone ..Just a thought ..I have a speedboat and two cars . I put a couple of hinges on the top of the plate that my number plate is attached to and fitted another number plate to them for the other car, and when i am not using it i just flip it over the back like the page of a book..it is kept in place by a rubber band and it cannot be stolen.. If the plate is on a flat surface you could put the hinges on the bottom so the number plate would fold down when not in use ,and you would only see the back of it which could be painted any colour or disguised as something else ..ie air vent? panel? just too prevent the inquistive....mal