What is Normal in your house?

Topdog

There are some people, at work for instance, that may view our hobby through doubtful eyes. Whispered comments "He's a bit eccentric".

My wife and I were tidying up the house prior to having some dinner guests round later tonight, when she heard me carrying something heavy upstairs.

"Are you ok love?" she asks.

"Yes thanks, just putting a machine gun up in the loft"

"Ok" She replies, not turning a hair - completely accepting it as normal.

It would have made no difference if I had said "Another machine gun" either, as there are several up there.

So the question is......... What is normal in your house?

Student house. Normality stops at the front door. For a long time we had a motorbike engine acting as a shoe tree.

Dont remind me. I rebuilt my Honda CB 200 engine on the dining room table while my mother was away. She went spare when she found out and that was years later.

First thing that greets visitors here is a pair of PK-T's and an SLR leant against a book case. Then there are all the manuals spread around the front room, some in English and some in Russian.... That's without computers everywhere - PC and UNIX. If one doesn't get a visitors attention, one of the others will. :cool2:

Other half is not overly happy about either situation - but accepts it's better than having the OT parked on the drive!! :-D:-D

Presently residing in my kitchen are most of the new panels for my Falcon - tailgate , door skin floor pans & bonnet . Hens teeth are more plentiful than what I have here so I'm not taking the chance of something happening to them if I put them in the garage !

Out in the utility is all of my stage lighting rig & sundry bits of PA whilst the band is no longer performing .

The last visitors to call round walked in the door , looked at the starter motor on the worktop and said "I like it , my kind of people"

I had a very unwelcome visit from a chap after one of my new (and very nosey) neighbours snooped on my son cleaning his legitimately held airsoft weapon in his bedroom. The guy stands on his balcony peering in to our house at every opportunity. Once it was shown all the current rules had been followed the unwelcome visitor went away to admonish my neighbour for snooping. Hasn't stopped him.

All my helmets and stuff have gone way upstairs in the house and all the other guns have gone altogether.

Thats the way of it.

whips leather and bits of metal

and thats only the wifes horsey stuff,

stirrups and bits in the dishwasher to get them clean

,copies of horse and hound and various equestrian catalogs along with boots ,wellies and joddy boots the house is a tip , and wheres all my stuff in the workshop at least it's cleaner in the workshop,

Ok, were do we start;

Built a small jet engine in the living room (student house at the time but still it was a very tidy house). House mates helped out so no problems there.

Triumph Spitfire (sinful I know but I was young at the time) engine re-built in the spare bedroom. Apart from the kitchen it was the cleanest room in the house so made sense (to me that is).

Various Jet engine parts regularly live in the living room. It makes for interesting conversation during a dinner party.

And now the Diamond T. Garage is full so spares have now migrated indoors, although getting a Hercules DFXE into the house may be an issue as the patio doors are not wide enough.

I want a Rolls-Royce Merlin on a stand in the living room but this is currently meeting very stiff resistance. One person's art is another person's crap. However my wife is in full agreement that a Rolls-Royce Olympus Turbine disc and blades can be mounted on the wall, as long a a clock is fitted in the middle - a very good compromise I think.

Edited by Adrian

Every square foot of floor space seems to be filled by a small child or other in my house. However, my office has a bren gun under the desk, noone seems to mention it when I have a meeting though, maybe I get better deals because of it...................

Every house should have one!:-D

House? Oh you mean that place we use as a workshop and ocasionally sleep in? Five whips, see PPD's post. The newly aquired petrol stove on the floor, had to move the toolbox to fit it in. Then fell over the Kracher to get to the computer, oh and Number One Son stuffing steak egg and chips. Pretty normal then? Had to move a tewnty five pounder once. So went into the allocation office said to John, 'Can I change rest days? Got to move a gun from Tilbury to Woolwich?', 'OK' he replied 'Let's have a look'.

'We settled down to check when Lisa the secratary cracked up laughing

'What's up with you?' we asked

'Well she replied 'You come in ask for time off to move guns, and we treat it as perfectly normal. Anyone else we'd be screaming for the Police'.

Edited by Tony B

My other half rebuilt the engine for her imp in the living room. Presently we have one of her locos in pieces spread across the living room, she also has a workshop in one of the downstairs rooms with 2 lathes & a mill. Other rooms have mountain bikes, car bits, locos and a few rats. I do get the garage to myself though! We have both agreed that we need a smaller house and a bigger workshop or maybe a workshop with a living area in the corner!

My other half rebuilt the engine for her imp in the living room. Presently we have one of her locos in pieces spread across the living room, she also has a workshop in one of the downstairs rooms with 2 lathes & a mill. Other rooms have mountain bikes, car bits, locos and a few rats. I do get the garage to myself though! We have both agreed that we need a smaller house and a bigger workshop or maybe a workshop with a living area in the corner!

Or a large garage/workshop with a caravan within. You can get that Royale you always wanted:laugh:

It all sounds Normal to me . Not much in the way of attic space so all militaria resides in the basement liberary closet not as small as you might think. Saving grace is an outbuilding its a rather small garden shed or for the last resort the three car garage , funny about that discription as only two cars can fit in it at present LOL . Oh that's right the Ben Hur is resting in the third bay currently .

As part of my Job, they send me to see a psychiatrist every year to make sure im not affected by my work!.

During the interview the Dr asked me about my hobbies, so i gave him the full horrors of MV ownership, going to shows, what my family think about it etc!

His response... Excellent stuff, far too many people dont have an avenue of escape from their daily routine, and people who think it is weird etc are generally the type that feel they have to conform with everybody else, i.e. have a new kitchen, wash the car on a sunday and sit in front of the 60" flatscreen LCD watching Sky TV like the neighbours around them.

He then went on to say that your friends and family would never remember you for conforming to the perceived "Norm" but they would always remember you for the stuff you do that is totally different, i.e. in my case owning a Humber Pig and taking them to shows etc.

It then turned out my Psychiatrist was ex Army, and had a desire to own an artillery piece to put in his garden, and he had quite a collection of Nuclear, Biological and Chemical equipment !!! which as i pointed out to him was the equivalent of one alcoholic taking controlled drinking advice from another alcoholic in a brewery!! :cool2:

Further on, myself and Croc were sat in my shed one afternoon after playing with vehicles, discussing the finer points of Army petrol set cookers, so we fired a couple up.

It seemed a shame to just let them burn openly so we got out the mess tins and made a cup of tea, and it turned out Croc had never had British Army rations, as i had just got hold of a few, we broke open a couple of boxes and had dinner "Al fresco".

Around about this point the neighbours who had just moved in down the road decided to make themselves known! so their first impression was two big blokes with oily clothing and coveralls sat on camp chairs, in failing light around burners eating out of tins with plastic spoons, surrounded by military paraphenalia and a Humber Pig

They moved out three months later! :rofl:

Edited by Adam Elsdon