Saracen Build-up

montie

I've got to ask before you splash out a hard-earned £70 - are you really sure this is a metric thread? It seems unlikely considering the age of the vehicle. I suppose that buying an M30 bolt would allow you to check!

Andy

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steering does move whilst engine running, but stationary... it is heavy though, compared to when rolling under power. Try steering when engine not running.... you'll find that with extreme effort it will steer, but only if moving....:shake:

try getting a bolt, hardened one would be best allen-key type, and carefully using an angle grinder with a cutting disc fitted, cut 3 angled 'lands' (grooves), so that it resembles a tap, then using a lathe, turn a very, very slight taper on the end, tidy thread with a file where taper has been turned, ...hey-presto a cheap thread chaser!.... it usually works for me!:cool2:

I've got to ask before you splash out a hard-earned £70 - are you really sure this is a metric thread? It seems unlikely considering the age of the vehicle. I suppose that buying an M30 bolt would allow you to check!

Andy

Hi Andy,

I appreciate your concern, it will be such a waste if it is not correct!

I measured again and again. The measurement is also supported by the digital vernier at 30mm.

The closest imperial equivalent is 1 and 3/16" and is off by just more than 0.4mm.

These South African Saracens were rebuilt/renovated/upgraded twice as far as I know. A lot of (read all) fasteners I thusfar worked with were metric, so it could have been specified at the order placement stage (unlikely, South Africa was a British colony at the time and was using imperial measurements untill the early sixties)

I will need to get hold of such a bolt. Such taps exists, albeit expensive, so such bolts should also exist!

Lower link plug threads 007.jpg

Lower link plug threads 008.jpg

try getting a bolt, hardened one would be best allen-key type, and carefully using an angle grinder with a cutting disc fitted, cut 3 angled 'lands' (grooves), so that it resembles a tap, then using a lathe, turn a very, very slight taper on the end, tidy thread with a file where taper has been turned, ...hey-presto a cheap thread chaser!.... it usually works for me!:cool2:

Hi Oily,

I thought you were at the show as well, just spectating maybe?! It is definitely the way I am going to go, I only need to secure the bolt. Thanks for the advice.

Have you seen my querie about the steering? (Duh.... I only now saw your post. Thanks.)

Monty.

PS.

I see one can upload videos, I thought of making one of starting the Saracen and uploading that. I will look for the link that was posted about uploading.

Edited by montie
Posting before checking

Hi Mate.

Just checking the fv number on the computor to see if it has discription.

BRB,

Clive

A hammer should have fallen on my head, it is an Alvis part number alright, therefore this could not have been modded! Would still be interesting if somebody had a description.

We will have to wait for Richard.

Hi Monty, I know less than nothing about these vehicles but there is a plug for sale on ebay uk under Military vehicle parts. I saw it the other day and reading the thread reminded me of it, I think it said Mk1 but it might be worth investigating.

Deryck

Hi Monty, I know less than nothing about these vehicles but there is a plug for sale on ebay uk under Military vehicle parts. I saw it the other day and reading the thread reminded me of it, I think it said Mk1 but it might be worth investigating.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Fortunately the plug is fine, its the threads in the lower arm where the pin fits, thats has sustained the damage. I have now been to an engineering company, they will turn up a substitute tapfrom tool steel for me with which I can clean up the thread. No waiting, no importing or related schlep.

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi Deryck,

Fortunately the plug is fine, its the threads in the lower arm where the pin fits, thats has sustained the damage. I have now been to an engineering company, they will turn up a substitute tapfrom tool steel for me with which I can clean up the thread. No waiting, no importing or related schlep.

Cheers,

Monty.

Thats good news and sounds like a cheaper alternative, stupid me,:nut: I knew the internal thread was knackered but thought you wanted a plug as well:embarrassed:

Hi guys,

Reading about the show and the happenings around it, you seem to be one big family! Would have loved to be there, but sadly, there is no way. Do enjoy!

I read somewhere that a Saracen can lose a wheel and still be driven. I had a little surprise with this theory, now thinking that it is only valid for the non-Saracen 88 versions. With the longer nose and the added weight like mine, the nose drops very, very low when the front wheel is removed and lowered back to ground. Very close to undriveable I think.

Cheers,

Monty.

That is not like any Saracen dashboard that I have seen. Is this a deluxe GT model :-).

Hi Berna2vm,

This was discussed from post 80 http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16817-Saracen-Build-up/page8. It is similar (read identical) to the Saracen 88 of which there was supposedly only one prototype and was to be sold to an American buyer.

With all the boo-haa, we eventually came to the conclusion that all South African Saracens are of the Saracen 88 variety with all changes implemented plus some others that weren't mentioned.

Cheers,

Monty.

That is incredible. It must have had a full rework. Is it still petrol engined? I think the Saracen is a cool machine and these SA ones are even better.

Hi berna2vm,

With all the fuss about the Saracen 88 issue then, I also wrote to Ian Young at Military Machine International who sent me a complimentary copy of the January 2005 issue. In an article in this copy the fact was highlighted that quite a bit more Saracen 88's were built and that there is a lot of info still hiding out somewhere.

I also manage to get hold of the article about the Saracen 88 in the July 2002 Military Machines International, of which the thinking at the time was, that only one existed.

Cheers,

Monty.

PS. They still have the RR petrol engines, I haven't come accross any with another engine yet.

Edited by montie

Monty, is that your saracen or the space shuttle?? Looks like alot of controls in there :)

Paul, I was quite flustered when I first saw it but it is quite self-explanetory. Even though, stupid me, haven't figured it all out yet.

Just indicators and idiot lights.

I have got a hassle with the hydraulics (read Power Steering, non-existant) at the moment, Maybe the IR switch could be something like an electric clutch on the hydraulic pump? Just musing, will have to check it out.

Slide2.JPG

Slide1.JPG