Saracen Build-up

montie

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents,

From Oily's pics, http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?16897-becoming-a-saracenier/page8 I see some more mods to this SA Mark 3 on the distributor shield.

It appears that a heat shield covers the entire manifold. There also was a loose plate inside the body that I couldn't figure out where it fitted. Only now it became apparent that it sits behind the exhaust, shielding the cabin from exhaust heat.

I have serviced all the boxes and is going to attempt to move the vehicle under its own power. I need to turn it around. Engine starts and runs fine, brake pressure is up, alternator is charging 27V, the oil pressure is beautiful and all warning lights are off. My heart is racing like I am going on my first date!! Just waiting for some accomplices to direct me, I don't want to ruin the house or the boundary wall!

Till later.

Monty.

exhaust manifold dizzy deflector 194.jpg

exhaust manifold dizzy deflector 193.jpg

exhaust manifold dizzy deflector 195.jpg

Hi Richard,

Your experience shows! I woundn't have known any different.

We did drive the Saracen, a total distance of about 80m in reverse and turned it around without any damage to any buildings but with a couple of close shaves! The thing is as wide as a barn and as difficult to drive. I am not saying anything about "false neutrals"!!

I really need to study the driving method, I catch myself using the gear change pedal as a clutch everytime. Old habits die hard!! Come on Oily, where is that driving lesson video, please man?

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi guys,

I need some help, in none of the manuals that I have is there a clear description/picture showing the gear positions. I have taken pics of the different positions and I will post remarks with each of them as to what I think they are.

This is first gear.

Second gear,

This is third gear and neutral should be between the second and third in the slot springloaded to the right.

This will be fourth gear

This according to my reasoning should be fifth gear

Of these two positions I have got no clue at all and guessed it should be "Low range first"...

And this be a higher speed in "low range"??

I am depending on the boffins like Oily, Paulob, especially Richard for enlightenment........

Monty.

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Edited by montie
shuffelling pics

Hi guys,

I need some help, in none of the manuals that I have is there a clear description/picture showing the gear positions. I have taken pics of the different positions and I will post remarks with each of them as to what I think they are.

This is first gear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31428[/ATTACH]

Second gear,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31429[/ATTACH]

This is third gear and neutral should be between the second and third in the slot springloaded to the right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31427[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31425[/ATTACH]

This will be fourth gear

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31426[/ATTACH]

This according to my reasoning should be fifth gear

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31430[/ATTACH]

Of these two positions I have got no clue at all and guessed it should be "Low range first"...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31432[/ATTACH]

And this be a higher speed in "low range"??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31431[/ATTACH]

I am depending on the boffins like Oily, Paulob, especially Richard for enlightenment........

Monty.

Monty,

You could not be so wrong :D. Actually if you clean the paint off, the numbers are stamped next to the slots.

I will try and describe it as it may be less confusing than refering to you photos.

1st ( you should have to push the button down to select, but probably stuck down)

..this is at the end of the long slot, opposite end to where you have put 1st in your pics.

2nd is next notch back

3rd is right back

4th is forward end of short slot

5th is right back in short slot

Neutral is in the gap between the two slots

If you are in doubt about having selected Neutral, the pedal can be seen to be held in a low position, 1st is the highest pedal position and progressively lower as you go up through the box

Edited by Richard Farrant

Hi guys,

I got some manuals and they have been a big help. I also located a guy/company in the USA, he returned my money though saying that he doesn't ship outside of the USA. BIG dissapointment, I don't mind paying additional postage if that was the problem. Yet another challenge.

Montie,

What was the company in the USA selling? Manuals or parts?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Richard,

They do say; "assumptions is the Mother of all F-ups!" Clearly this is one of those!. Thanks for coming to my rescue.

I have been taking off in third gear and thought the motor lacked power when being unable to pickup revs against a small incline! Not bad for third gear. I will tackle that little button at the first opportunity.

Cheers,

Monty.

Montie,

What was the company in the USA selling? Manuals or parts?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

At the time I was looking for manuals as I knew (still do by the looks of this incident!) squat about the Saracen or any of the specs, mechanicals and the rest. When I was an apprentice, I had some sort of a manual which I used, but stupid me, I lost it somehow!

Hi Richard,

They do say; "assumptions is the Mother of all F-ups!" Clearly this is one of those!. Thanks for coming to my rescue.

I have been taking off in third gear and thought the motor lacked power when being unable to pickup revs against a small incline! Not bad for third gear. I will tackle that little button at the first opportunity.

No problem :-)

A tip, do not leave it in an engaged gear whilst standing stationary with the engine running, this will overheat the oil and cook the seal.

regards, Richard

No problem :-)

A tip, do not leave it in an engaged gear whilst standing stationary with the engine running, this will overheat the oil and cook the seal.

regards, Richard

Richard,

I will have to study the little bit of info I have intensly and then FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS! Else it is going to be expensive.

I also picked up some info and tips on Wilson ENV pre-select boxes that seems worthwhile, is there any correlation or identical maybe?

Monty.

Richard,

I will have to study the little bit of info I have intensly and then FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS! Else it is going to be expensive.

I also picked up some info and tips on Wilson ENV pre-select boxes that seems worthwhile, is there any correlation or identical maybe?

Monty.

The principles of the boxes are very similar although in some applications you might find the gear engagement done by compressed air rather than mechanical linkage from the pedal. The fluid flywheel should be kept in mind all the time, do not set off in too high a gear, nor engage a higher gear too early. Do not let the engine labour in too high a gear.

As for the box, do not skip gears, neither up nor down, go through the box in sequence, if not, bands will suffer, or worse.

Hi Montie!

Seems you've come along in leaps and bounds!.... well despite me having problems with my saracen, as in it won't run or drive at the moment, I'll try and knock-up a 'static' driving lesson video for you, over the next day or so..... it ought to be able to illustrate method of changing gear etc, if nothing else....:-\

well done for getting mobile with yours,....now the real fun starts!....:-D:cool2:

Hi Montie!

Seems you've come along in leaps and bounds!.... well despite me having problems with my saracen, as in it won't run or drive at the moment, I'll try and knock-up a 'static' driving lesson video for you, over the next day or so..... it ought to be able to illustrate method of changing gear etc, if nothing else....:-\

well done for getting mobile with yours,....now the real fun starts!....:-D:cool2:

Thanks Oily,

I am looking forward to seeing the video, just don't cause any more damage to your Saracen on my behalf!

Regards,

Monty.

Hi guys,

I am again in need of some help, this time I am looking for the thread size of the plugs that locks in the suspension upper and lower pins. They are also used as drain plugs in the belly drains and for the bevel box drains. It around 30mm in diameter on the threaded section but when measuring the thread pitch, it is closer to 20 teeth per inch rather than the metric measurement.

The R/H lower pin boss seems to have sustained some damage to the threads before and I would like to clean them up before inserting (read forcing!) and damaging the plug threads (brass!)

Thanks,

Monty.

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

they'll most likely be a UNF size thread, Montie,.....very early Mk Saracens, Mk1's and early Mk2's were, if I recall what my maunuals preach BSF sizes,..... but I would imagine all of the Saracens ever made/modified whilst 'in-service'.... this type of fitting would more than likely be it's original ones..... and most definately 'Imperial' (ie. Inch), rather than metric (mm).

I'll consult my books.....:readbook:

they'll most likely be a UNF size thread, Montie,.....very early Mk Saracens, Mk1's and early Mk2's were, if I recall what my maunuals preach BSF sizes,..... but I would imagine all of the Saracens ever made/modified whilst 'in-service'.... this type of fitting would more than likely be it's original ones..... and most definately 'Imperial' (ie. Inch), rather than metric (mm).

I'll consult my books.....:readbook:

Hi Oily,

After some fussing today, it turns out that the thread is metric, a M30 x 1.25. I wanted to buy a bottom tap to just clean the threads but I can't locate such a tap here yet. I will have to make another plan. May be just locate such a bolt and modify it as a tap?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Monty.

Thanks Clive, you are a great help! I will check them out now.

Cheers,

Monty.

Clive, I did check it out, the pitch required is 1.25 and unfortunately theirs is 1.5. So close and yet so far!

These guys have got it http://www.nikopas.com/thr3.htm , I will find out if I can buy 1 off and the price. (Eish, they are in India!)

Thanks,

Monty.

Edited by montie

Clive, I did check it out, the pitch required is 1.25 and unfortunately theirs is 1.5. So close and yet so far!

These guys have got it http://www.nikopas.com/thr3.htm , I will find out if I can buy 1 off and the price. (Eish, they are in India!)

Thanks,

Monty.

Price is out of my league too!!!:shocked: http://www.metric-tools.com/catalog/item/4020626/7973712.htm

Hi Monty.

Try these, I know they are in the uk. but may ship. Still pricey though.£70 :nut::nut:

http://www.engineering-supplies.com/sub/203/metric-hss-taps-standard-fine-special-rh/page/21/

Clive

Thanks again, Clive, I am shocked, I expected it to be pricey but I will explore other means, maybe a wash and a good wipe and inspection with a magnifying glass could help.

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi guys,

Here are some pics of the damaged threads after washing them down. I will have to clean them up, there is no quick and easy on this one! I will look at the bolt option first and then at the £70 job if all else fails.

Now for the next question, how strong is the power steering, will the wheels turn while the engine is running and the vehicle stationary? (Stupid question, I presume) If it does, easily or does it take some force? I will look through the manual(s) that I have for anything. I remember Oily had some hydraulic hassles some time ago.

Regards,

Monty.

Lower link plug threads 002.jpg

Lower link plug threads 003.jpg

Lower link plug threads 004.jpg

Lower link plug threads 005.jpg

Lower link plug threads 006.jpg