Saracen Build-up

montie

To all you Saracen, Saladin and Stolly boffins out there, what would be the easiest way to tune such a beast? The manual would have one way, but I sure there are "shortcuts" that are quicker and more accurate, yet yielding better results.

I remember a short video on Youtube (will look for it) of somebody starting such a beast and it started so easily evertime as compared to this one of mine. Are spares such as points and condensors still readily available?

Then there is still the carburettor rebuild. I am hesitantly asking about spares as I am sure it will need some, seeing how fuel leaks from the throttle shaft after switching it off. How sensitive are these carbs to fuel pressure and is there a pressure spec somewhere?

Any help appreciated!

I found it. Oily, it was you all the time!!

Something went wrong...

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes Montie!, ...twas I, but now and then the old thing does have a 'hissy-fit', and requires a more delicate touch and some 'magic engine starter spray'............ + batteries have to be very good condition too.....

yes Montie!, ...twas I, but now and then the old thing does have a 'hissy-fit', and requires a more delicate touch and some 'magic engine starter spray'............ + batteries have to be very good condition too.....

Hi Oily,

I thought it is just mine misbehaving! Have you got anything on the tuning part?

Remembering the post of Rick Cove regarding the Australian Saracens, http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19375-Saracen-chassis-number...where-is-it...&p=216124#post216124 , do these numbers extend to all other Saracens as well?

According to Rick's info, number 115387 is thus an Australian Saracen but the similar number 115225 is not listed as Australian?

The ID plate from my Saracen does not reflect a 115xxx number though.

Slide1.JPG

Slide1.JPG

Montie,

115225 is the Australian Army serial number for a Ferret, whch had the UK no. 87BA33 . If you look again you will see it is a Mk2 Ferret.

You are right as always, either I'm going blind or I should go to bed! Late and I am working in 5 hours time!

Hi guys,

Let me again try uploading the incomplete register, it has been a very frustrating few days.

Wanted to add smilies but none on edit option

Sorry guys, FRED (Flippen Ridiculous Electonic Device!!!!!) :computerrage::computerrage:at it again!!!!

This is the first version of the register, rev2 is 51 pages. When saving the register as a PDF, somehow the hyperlinks go haywire.

But alas, my internet speed is down to 90kB/s, yes 90!!! No good for anything, not even thinking about uploading! I'm not even sure this reply is going to stick!!

Hi guys,

I threw my toys out of my cot with my service provider and it wasn't pretty! Promises were made (again!), we will have to see.

The newspaper clipping that I had been searching for.....

A better photo of the 81mm mortar model.

Your's truly on border patrol (Swaziland border) at the time, after the two years National Army Service

Members of my section on patrol, note the R4 with folding butt.

Time to bath when back in camp!

Troops amusing themselves when resting between patrols.

Pine planks and offcuts from a nearby sawmill were used for housing (kitchen and mess), furniture and fire!

Scan10043.JPG

Scan10045.jpg

Scan10046.JPG

Scan10047.JPG

Scan10049.JPG

Scan10050.JPG

Scan10048.JPG

Hi guys,

I had a visit from my Internet service provider and this is a trial run.

Please be reminded that if you click on the hand when over the blue registration numbers, it should take you to the picture in question. It has gone a little haywire on the PDF version, on Word it works fine. I will also load the pictures numerically in future for this reason, the pics have now been added as I got them.

Edited by montie

Montie,

115225 is the Australian Army serial number for a Ferret, whch had the UK no. 87BA33 . If you look again you will see it is a Mk2 Ferret.

Richard, I am still wondering how you got to connecting that Ferret serial number so quickly to the UK registration number????:???

Richard, I am still wondering how you got to connecting that Ferret serial number so quickly to the UK registration number????:???

:-) :-) .......I have a list of Australian Ferrets with their service numbers and corresponding UK numbers. It was from an Australian EMEI.......their version of EMER, in other words, workshop manual and engineering instructions. :-)

:-) :-) .......I have a list of Australian Ferrets with their service numbers and corresponding UK numbers. It was from an Australian EMEI.......their version of EMER, in other words, workshop manual and engineering instructions. :-)

Ahem, eh, eh,...you don't perhaps have a full (fuller) list of eh , a ..... saracen registration numbers, o maestro???:bow:

Ahem, eh, eh,...you don't perhaps have a full (fuller) list of eh , a ..... saracen registration numbers, o maestro:bow:

Sorry Monty, only Ferret Mk1 and Mk2 numbers.

I would use a begging smilie if one was available to start this post! Please, I need registration numbers and pics to update the Saracen register.

It is not only for me but our joint use and enjoyment. I will also approach Bovington for numbers but it is rather difficult from this part of the world.

As per the info that I got from the internet, there was around 1800 Saracens that rolled off the assembly line. This register has not even reached the 500 mark. All comments, advice, ect is required to make this into something worthwhile. Post on the thread, PM or e-mail me, all help will be highly appreciated.

One mistake I picked up is that handler 69 is still looking into buying a Saracen and not an owner yet and already listed as such. Come on, Troy! Andyroo's Saracen was also added after some help from sirhc, thanks Chris.

Saracen Register.pdf

To all you Saracen, Saladin and Stolly boffins out there, what would be the easiest way to tune such a beast? The manual would have one way, but I sure there are "shortcuts" that are quicker and more accurate, yet yielding better results.

I remember a short video on Youtube (will look for it) of somebody starting such a beast and it started so easily evertime as compared to this one of mine. Are spares such as points and condensors still readily available?

Then there is still the carburettor rebuild. I am hesitantly asking about spares as I am sure it will need some, seeing how fuel leaks from the throttle shaft after switching it off. How sensitive are these carbs to fuel pressure and is there a pressure spec somewhere?

Any help appreciated!

No takers?

As per the info that I got from the internet, there was around 1800 Saracens that rolled off the assembly line. This register has not even reached the 500 mark. All comments, advice, ect is required to make this into something worthwhile. Post on the thread, PM or e-mail me, all help will be highly appreciated.

With all the numbers and pics I could get together, the register now totals out at 182. Not good, eh?

Hi guys,

Slightly off topic but I visited my brother over the weekend and he showed me a few very interesting pics and posters. Some was taken of my dad when he was doing Army training in the early '50's, I think. Others were taken by my brother in the time of him doing Border duty and some war propaganda against Swapo at the time. I borrowed the pics, scanned them in promptly and can't resist posting some of them.

My dad in the centre.

Dad posing for a pic, he is no longer with us.

Some tanks, no clue what they are/were.

This Ratel was hit by a RPG7 rocket and as the writing on the back of the pic has it, 13 soldiers died in the Ratel in Angola. The Ratel was repainted and called "Silver dream" on account of the colour.

The rocket hit the window and exploded on the inside.

One of the propaganda posters that I have that was used to demoralise the enemy.

On the back is a picture of a dead insurgent and a statement "Another SWAPO cadre is sacrificed for nothing" The other posters are also gruesome and I wonder whether it should be posted.

Scan10054.jpg

Scan10053.jpg

Scan10056.jpg

Scan10055.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-05.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-06.jpg

Join SWAPO and die.jpg

Edited by montie

Hi guys,

I was alerted to another Saracen in town. Upon investigation, it was bought by an owner of a scrap metal yard as scrap. The asking price is around 3500 pounds if I do the conversion. It is a bit steep if one would purchase it as spares.

It is yet another Saracen 88 with registration number 80BA30, Alv 358. The turret is still the older 3 door version. It is quite complete, even with turret hardware and bren gun ring, all seats and also the commander chair, which incedently is missing on mine. This one was not converted like mine with the bullet proof windows and still has the original lids and periscopes in place. The escape hatches on both sides are missing but that is not the end of the world.

I begged the guy not to take the gas Act to it and I think I will make regular follow-ups. He said he wanted to get an auto electrician to get it started and when I said that I do have a little bit of knowledge and some manuals on it, I get the impression that he think I was fibbing. The conversation was over the cell phone, so I will have to pay him a visit when he is at the shop.