Saracen Build-up

montie

Montie, a few months back we had a discussion about the headlights for your vehicle - I said how they were the same as leopard. I have managed to find a link to a website that sells them - if you ever had the misfortune of needing a replacement:

Replacement Headlight

Cheers,

FB

Best I could come up with after a lot of searching was a couple of Leopard pics! Thank you very much for the helpful info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continued from previous post.

Some more details from the Saracen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26957[/ATTACH]

The Gilmer belt set-up on the fans, alternator and pumps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26956[/ATTACH]

The watertanks as added, One on each side on the rear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26955[/ATTACH]

The water trap and watersensor in the fuel supply line.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26953[/ATTACH]

The engine controls and instruments.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26951[/ATTACH]

The air cleaner set-up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26952[/ATTACH]

Not working on the GT40 as can be seen by the mess in the garage!

Till later.

Had to take off the water tank due to a leak on the tap. The tank and hanger is very well made.

04022011286.jpg

04022011287.jpg

04022011285.jpg

04022011284.jpg

...Hmmmm! one of those would make a nice mod to fit my saracen for drinking water, whilst out 'camping'... could you make some measurements, and maybe a drawing, Montie?

regards

Matt:)

...Hmmmm! one of those would make a nice mod to fit my saracen for drinking water, whilst out 'camping'... could you make some measurements, and maybe a drawing, Montie?

regards

Matt:)

Here goes, the water tank itself, the hanger next. (all measurements in millimeters) Made from Stainless steel, probably 304 and around 1.2mm thick

\

09022011301.jpg

09022011294.jpg

09022011291.jpg

09022011299.jpg

water tank.jpg

09022011292.jpg

09022011296.jpg

09022011298.jpg

09022011295.jpg

09022011300.jpg

09022011297.jpg

09022011293.jpg

Edited by montie

Ok, thanks Montie, that looks fairly easy/straightforward, i look forward to seeing the 'hanger',... maybe this design could also be adapted, with internal baffles for making new stainless silencers for all the rusty, blowing exhausts there seems to be....:-\:-D,

or even slightly narrower,with the filler postitioned so it'll fit, and take up 1/2 the depth of a side bin, so as to still keep a bit of stowage space, (maybe it'll keep beers and sandwiches cool, too! lol!)

Edited by oily

Ok, thanks Montie, that looks fairly easy/straightforward, i look forward to seeing the 'hanger',... maybe this design could also be adapted, with internal baffles for making new stainless silencers for all the rusty, blowing exhausts there seems to be....:-\:-D,

or even slightly narrower,with the filler postitioned so it'll fit, and take up 1/2 the depth of a side bin, so as to still keep a bit of stowage space, (maybe it'll keep beers and sandwiches cool, too! lol!)

Hi Oily, you mean hot, especially with the exhaust/silencer in such close proximity? Can't you fit a universal stainless silencer with similar dimensions, it is such a hassle to make up a silencer yourself. Behind that left front panel on mine is only a silencer and the exhaust gas is still very hot since the outlet is so close to the engine. Each time I start the engine, it melts the nylon shadow netting pulled over for protection against the elements if not removed in time.

I was thinking of perhaps making up a water tank and fitting instead of the o/s/r bin.... away from the exhaust.... As for my current silencer, I think it'll survive a little longer with a patch-repair, for the time being... i know what you mean about heat there though!... you want to see how hot your left boot gets on a long run!.... especially in hotter climates like yours!.....:shocked:

Details of the water tank "hanger"

hanger detail.jpg

you are a star, Montie.... thanks again!

have you had a go at driving yours yet?.........

No Oily, just turned it around under it's own power inside the yard. Still some work (remember that stipped wheel reduction box that needs replacing?) that I want to do before attemping a longer trip.

you are a star, Montie.... thanks again!

have you had a go at driving yours yet?.........

Assembled. I did swop the elbow, too much interference with the made-up brass one, unfortunately not stainless, so will once again have to put up with corrosion due to different materials.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Monty

Another one for your register. With a cracking photo showing the Hull number and registration Number:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Saracen-Mk5-6x6-Personnel-Carrier-/190512357217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c5b6bdf61

98BA22 with hull number 983 by the look of it.

Cheers

Matt

Shucks man, just too slow, I seem to have missed it! Thanks nonetheless.

Presentation1.jpg

Thanks Matt! This time round I got it and added to the register.

Its on Milweb as well just hadn't realised that it was one and the same vehicle. I can hear the ebay police screeching to a halt as I write this. Give it a few minutes / hours they will smash the listing down again.

• 3 weeks later...

Discovered another ( in actual fact two) MV scrapyards. Could not get permission to go in but will be back. At least the guy put me on the trail of a wheel station. Took some pics through the fence, these scrapyards are HUGE! The one have two Saracens but I couldn't get close. New cellphone too and I don't know how to operate the zoom function, yet!. I will be back!

Slide1.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide2.JPG

• 1 month later...
Paul, I was quite flustered when I first saw it but it is quite self-explanetory. Even though, stupid me, haven't figured it all out yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31736[/ATTACH]

Just indicators and idiot lights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31734[/ATTACH]

I have got a hassle with the hydraulics (read Power Steering, non-existant) at the moment, Maybe the IR switch could be something like an electric clutch on the hydraulic pump? Just musing, will have to check it out.

Got somewhere today, fooling around in the saracen with the engine running. Referring to page 23, the IR switch definitely has to do with the lights, if the rotary light switch is fully rotated (rather, as far as it can go), the IR indicator light lights up when the IR switch is activated.

The other puzzle sorted was the big red indicator light as shown in the video clip on the same page. attachment.php?attachmentid=31734&d=1280084683&thumb=1

This big red indicator light illuminated during the run as shown on the video, seems to be master warning light, popping up if any warning light comes on. During today's run, the warning light indicating water in the fuel, illuminated intermittently, closely followed by the "master warning light". This "water in fuel" pickup must be faulty however, as all lines were replaced and fresh fuel added to the fuel tank.

Till later.

My mistake, it is the radiater warning light that illuminated intermittently, but even so, the radiator is full and filled with anti-freeze as well.

Edited by montie