Saracen Build-up

montie

Hi guys,

I am battlelingto post, sometimes 3 or 4 times before the post attaches. I also continously have to relog to the site. Is it just me or what?

Thanks,

Monty.

Make sure you tick the box to keep you logged in otherwise it may log you out after a short while

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I think the mechanism inside the gearbox causes the pedal to move back up.......please pass on my congratulations to your daughter (who happens to look absolutely stunning, by the way!), and your new son-in-law. I'm glad it all went to plan, and may they have many happy years together:hug:, now good luck with the rest of the saracen,.... I'm about to embark on a pain of a job, with mine.... fluid flywheel replacement!..... engine out, methinks.....still, I can look forwards to finding all those 'lost' tools, that lurk under the engine, in armoured vehicles......

Hi Oily,

I will pass on the compliments and thank you for the kind remarks.

If I were any closer, I would have lent you a helping hand, so much to learn, so little time! I hope you at least have somebody to help, it is not the sort of job where you work alone and heaven forbid, something goes wrong! It is heavy stuff we are working with! Best of luck with it, I hope it all goes smoothly. ( I was hoping the goo you put in the fluid drive would have solved your problem, so no cheap and easy way out for us other guys either.

Cheers,

Monty.

Make sure you tick the box to keep you logged in otherwise it may log you out after a short while

Thanks Lee,

Somehow I think a post went missing, somebody already told me to do what you also said. I did that and my hassles are over. I am BC, that is "Before Computor"!

Regards,

Monty.

Hi Oily,

I will pass on the compliments and thank you for the kind remarks.

If I were any closer, I would have lent you a helping hand, so much to learn, so little time! I hope you at least have somebody to help, it is not the sort of job where you work alone and heaven forbid, something goes wrong! It is heavy stuff we are working with! Best of luck with it, I hope it all goes smoothly. ( I was hoping the goo you put in the fluid drive would have solved your problem, so no cheap and easy way out for us other guys either.

Cheers,

Monty.

I think the GOO would work, maybe as a get-you-home bodge, but I think the way forward is a new flywheel, I have found a stock of them for £100 each.

I think the GOO would work, maybe as a get-you-home bodge, but I think the way forward is a new flywheel, I have found a stock of them for £100 each.

Hi Oily,

Good thing to have the spares, with Richard's advice, you will have some reusable spares yourself.

I remember that, in one of the posts on this thread it was said, to renew the seals, even on the NOS spares as they deteriorate with age and don't have much of a service life. Rather that than be in the same predicament again soon!

Regards,

Monty.

Hi gents,

I had another go at that R/H front wheel and after a lot of struggling, it again did not go in all the way. The brass part on the swivel shows a lot of hammer marks ( not me, I used a deadblow rubber mallet), so it appears that this is an old problem. I also fitted a new bush to the lower link, I guess this might have been left out in order to get the lower pin in.

I am going to remove the wheel again and this time refitting without the tracta shaft to see if it goes in all the way. I don't have anything on the swiveljoints for dis-assembly and assembly. The brass nut on the inner swivel has about 3/8 inch of thread still protruding, would this be OK? I have a feeling it should protude a bit less than it does.

Hope to hear some good news soon if somebody can ID the problem.

Monty.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Hi gents,

I had another go at that R/H front wheel and after a lot of struggling, it again did not go in all the way. The brass part on the swivel shows a lot of hammer marks ( not me, I used a deadblow rubber mallet), so it appears that this is an old problem. I also fitted a new bush to the lower link, I guess this might have been left out in order to get the lower pin in.

I am going to remove the wheel again and this time refitting without the tracta shaft to see if it goes in all the way. I don't have anything on the swiveljoints for dis-assembly and assembly. The brass nut on the inner swivel has about 3/8 inch of thread still protruding, would this be OK? I have a feeling it should protude a bit less than it does.

Hope to hear some good news soon if somebody can ID the problem.

Monty.

Hi Monty,

I can see the edge of the cork ring still visible, so the tracta housing should go in a bit more. From some of your posts on here, I get the impression you are feeding the innermost tracta shaft in along with the wheel station. This might be where your problem lies.......if this is how you are doing it, please let me know and I will explain further.

The brass nut you refer to, I guess is the inner one that holds the spherical tracta housing (challis) in place. This adjust the free movement of the challis, it should move smoothly, but not be loose, else pressure is taken off seal lip and it will leak. Mentioning leaks, I see from enlarging your photos, there is a lot of hammer rash on the spherical face, this could damage the oilseal lip and cause leaks, it might well have dented it too. I can also see a strike on the outer brass ring that the tracta seal is pressed into, this might have distorted the seal. If this damage was there when you stripped it, perhaps this is why the tracta failed, through lack of oil ( leaked away at this point?).

Hi Monty,

I can see the edge of the cork ring still visible, so the tracta housing should go in a bit more. From some of your posts on here, I get the impression you are feeding the innermost tracta shaft in along with the wheel station. This might be where your problem lies.......if this is how you are doing it, please let me know and I will explain further.

The brass nut you refer to, I guess is the inner one that holds the spherical tracta housing (challis) in place. This adjust the free movement of the challis, it should move smoothly, but not be loose, else pressure is taken off seal lip and it will leak. Mentioning leaks, I see from enlarging your photos, there is a lot of hammer rash on the spherical face, this could damage the oilseal lip and cause leaks, it might well have dented it too. I can also see a strike on the outer brass ring that the tracta seal is pressed into, this might have distorted the seal. If this damage was there when you stripped it, perhaps this is why the tracta failed, through lack of oil ( leaked away at this point?).

Hi Richard,

I am feeding in the shaft along with the Wheel station. I could not figure out another way to do it for not being able to check the alignment of the joint if first inserting the shaft and then only feeding in the Wheel station. Please assist.:???

There is indeed a lot of hammer damage on the parts in question and will probably leak. I do need to get the vehicle together for some test driving to see what other hassles still have to surface. I have two possible suppliers of wheel station spares as well as the scrap yard.

I have taken the wheel station out so many times now, it no longer seems to be the major obstacle it appearred when doing it for the first time. The removal part is quite simple, the problem is in the correct assembly.

Now back to removing the station again!

Thanks,

Monty.

Hi all,

Confirmed!! The problem lies not with the wheel station but with the tracta shaft. Without the shaft inserted, the brass housing goes in all the way! You see, Richard was right, the problem is with inserting the combination as a unit. Now for the way forward??

Monty.

Hi Richard,

Scratching through the stuff that I got from Oily, I noticed the following:

Different part numbers for the two vanes fitted to the inner and outer tracta shafts!

Now, would it make any difference if:

1) items were swopped side for side,

2) when the wheel station was stripped and the same part numbers ended up on the

same side?

3) are they really different? (stupid question, I guess!)

Also, the big question, how do one identify them for their part numbers?

Slide1.JPG

Hi Richard,

Scratching through the stuff that I got from Oily, I noticed the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30686[/ATTACH]

Different part numbers for the two vanes fitted to the inner and outer tracta shafts!

2) when the wheel station was stripped and the same part numbers ended up on the

same side?

Monty,

You are looking at the wrong items. Look at the item page of parts list, the column headed F12 ( this is the illustration page) all numbers in that column relate to parts that are illustrated on F12. Ignore numbers on first column, irrelevant. The shaft shown, Item 2, is the one in the tracta housing. The shaft in the bevel box will be shown on the Bevel Box page.

More to follow, just going ot have my meal :D

Hi,

same side?

I am starting to get very worried! They say it is a sign of madness if you ask questions and start answering them yourself! And then, when all else fail, read the manual!!

The two items are different, vastly different and clearly identifiable! Looking closely at the drawing, one can also see their respective positions.

My problem now is, these items were removed from the positions as shown, so that was correct. They also mesh easily and fit snugly on the tracta shafts, so that is correct. Where is the problem???

Richard, please help me out of my misery!!:banghead:

Slide2.JPG

Slide1.JPG

Monty,

You are looking at the wrong items. Look at the item page of parts list, the column headed F12 ( this is the illustration page) all numbers in that column relate to parts that are illustrated on F12. Ignore numbers on first column, irrelevant. The shaft shown, Item 2, is the one in the tracta housing. The shaft in the bevel box will be shown on the Bevel Box page.

More to follow, just going ot have my meal :D

Hi Richard,

I was busy with the post, running in and out to check the spares and not going back to the thread before I submitted. Thanks for the pointers, here is the attached sheet in more detail.

The arrow is pointing to the F12 collumn and the items ringed (Have moved abit I see)

Slide1.JPG

Hi all,

JUBILATION!!!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The Right hand Front wheel slipped into position as if there never was a problem.

Richard, you're the MAN!!!:tup:::tup::

Now assembly of the other spares.

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi guys,

No, the parts were correctly assembled for installation. Richard's tips were about the procedure and positioning of the items when installing. Subtle differences but making a world of difference! Everytime I pulled the wheelstation apart, I checked whether the tracta halves could have rotated but they appearred to be in their correct positions everytime.

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi guys,

That R/H wheel station is together again, although I am short of a plug on the lower pin to prevent it moving out. I am planning to remove the one on the R/H toolbox drain, not critical at all and put it to good use on the suspension.

I now need to service all the gearboxes and hubs. Thanks due to Oily's gearbox thread on his problems with it, it prevented me from putting the wrong oil into that transferbox (Phew, close shave!). This is due to me lending my ears out to so-called South African boffins that "worked" on Saracens in the past. Thanks for saving the day again, Richard!!

I also spoke to my brother-in-laws son over the past weekend. He is a diesel-mech by trade and he will assist in charging the accumulators.

Hopefully tomorrow night I will be smelling gearbox oil!

Till then,

Monty.

Hi guys,

I am smelling of gearbox oil! Miscaculation! 13 gearboxes takes alot of oil and I am short of some.

While filling the Left Front bevel box, I saw the manifold and distictly remembered Richard's warning about frying the dizzy. I have got no illustration on how the deflector plate should sit, some help, please??:help:

Cheers,

Monty.